Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curt 57003 Adapter (Towing/LED) issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
Today we were leaving on a camping/trailering trip in our Model X. When I hooked up the trailer, the car saw the hookup and gave me the blue trailer icon, but my brake controller did not detect the trailer. After some attempts to disconnect and reconnect all the fittings, and testing with my multimeter, I realized that the Curt adapter was the issue.
I took the adapter apart, and I found that the wiring had partially ripped out of the compression connectors for each of the blades. This was probably due to excess strain being put on the wiring during sharp turns. Also, however, the strain relief on both ends was loose, and one of them was partially stripped. There is not much wire to work with, but cleaning and re-stripping both ends and re everything into the compression connectors got me on the road.

I think I will probably rebuild this entirely with a slightly longer extension, but taking it apart showed me exactly how these work. I would really prefer an adapter with a 90° elbow and no wiring at all. All this adapter does is add resistors to pull the car into thinking there’s more resistance then there is. Photos .

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.
58D577E1-AC70-47DD-A63B-97DDF7CF8ACE.jpeg

7DC96D35-012D-4FD5-9051-F5D435D8A352.jpeg