Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curt hidden hitch with receiver & range efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to mount my road bike on my Model 3 for my weekend biking activities
Not interested in roof rack bike mount. Came across this site etrailer.com which sells hidden hitch & receiver for Model 3.
Both are class 1 receiver hitch with up to 2000lbs TW

ecohitch:
2019 Tesla Model 3 Trailer Hitch - EcoHitch
OR
Curt:
2019 Tesla Model 3 Trailer Hitch - Curt

Anyone running this on their car.
Is there any drop to the range efficiency when installed the hitch alone and without a bike in use for a day to day usage?
Does this impact the car aerodynamics?

Pls chime in.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I’ve installed the eco-hitch and it went fairly well. Been having fits trying to sort out a wiring harness but that won’t affect you. Can’t say I monitor my efficiency down to the 0.1% precision it would take to detect that effect, if any.

Eco-Hitch installed here... Thule T2 bike rack. With two road bikes attached, I am using 10-15% more juice on my normal route. Be prepared to have warning lines behind the vehicle as you travel down the road. When the rack is "stowed" (in the up position when no bikes are on it) there is no range hits. Just more of the red lines with the sensors thinking there is something about to hit the back end.

Spend time adjusting the offset of the racks to minimize how much of the bikes is outside the shape of the 3.

ECTO-1

Thinking of getting the Kuat transfer 1bike platform rack.
Here's the link to it. fits within the bumper specs when folded when bike not in use

Kuat Transfer 1 Bike Platform Rack - 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches - Wheel Mount - Tilting - Black
I have a racing bike and I like to remove the front wheel.
I like the simplicity of the Kuat rack, but I would prefer attaching directly the fork of the bike to the bike rack.
I would like to find such rack or to find a way to modify the bike rack to attach the fork, like roof racks provide this possibility in general.
One advantage would be to have the bike not hanging out on each side, giving a better air flow.