Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curt Hitch Install Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not yet, it hasn’t bothered me enough yet to pull everything back off and try the “start in the center and work your way out” method you suggested. I’ve given it a few nudges as I walk by in the garage, but those haven’t lessened the gap significantly.

i just did my install last night as well and also have the same issue as you with the gaps :(

i spent way too much time trying to correct it so im just gonna leave it for now

Anybody with any tips on how to correct would be much appreciated!

I just had one installed on an early 2018 car. I had the shop do it, but it seems great. Pulling a 15' boat and trailer with it.

Wow, that's great! Do you have the shop install the wiring for you? mind sharing a pic or two of towing the boat? especially where the connection between the hitch and the trailer. Always worried about the clearance for mine.

Wow, that's great! Do you have the shop install the wiring for you? mind sharing a pic or two of towing the boat? especially where the connection between the hitch and the trailer. Always worried about the clearance for mine.
I bought a 2 inch drop for the 1 1/4in hitch. You can reverse the mount on it so that it's a 2 inch rise.
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45027-Class-Ball-Mount/dp/B003AT8G3G/ref=sr_1_2?crid=CQGMGGXUW4KQ&dchild=1&keywords=1+1/4+inch+receiver&qid=1595271288&s=automotive&sprefix=1+1/4+inch+rec,automotive,215&sr=1-2

I ended up doing the wiring myself with this kit: https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-119190-Protector-Integrated-Protection/dp/B001P2DULI. It was much easier than the videos show (taking out the taillight and fascia) because I was able to feed the 12v through the grommet hole by the passenger taillight until I had a couple of feet through, and then I looked under the car and there was the wire. From there it was a simple matter of removing some pushpins and stuffing it under the plastic by the battery plate. My efficiency isn't even bad with the 1,000 lb boat. If I put a taught cover on it I get around 300-350 wh/mile but I'm driving a little slower since I'm pulling a boat too.
IMG_7332.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Z28diddy
I bought a 2 inch drop for the 1 1/4in hitch. You can reverse the mount on it so that it's a 2 inch rise.
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45027-Class-Ball-Mount/dp/B003AT8G3G/ref=sr_1_2?crid=CQGMGGXUW4KQ&dchild=1&keywords=1+1/4+inch+receiver&qid=1595271288&s=automotive&sprefix=1+1/4+inch+rec,automotive,215&sr=1-2

I ended up doing the wiring myself with this kit: https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-119190-Protector-Integrated-Protection/dp/B001P2DULI. It was much easier than the videos show (taking out the taillight and fascia) because I was able to feed the 12v through the grommet hole by the passenger taillight until I had a couple of feet through, and then I looked under the car and there was the wire. From there it was a simple matter of removing some pushpins and stuffing it under the plastic by the battery plate. My efficiency isn't even bad with the 1,000 lb boat. If I put a taught cover on it I get around 300-350 wh/mile but I'm driving a little slower since I'm pulling a boat too.
View attachment 566731

I'm so attempted to install the wire, however, I'm not totally convinced just stuffing it under the body. Did you tie it along the way? waiting for some talent ppl finding a way to use the pre-wired port behind the bumper.

Thank you all for sharing the details/learnings. FedEx just delivered 13449 hitch just now. I'm planning to install it tomorrow and feeling better after going through this thread. I'll take lotsa pics and may be create installation steps..

I'm so attempted to install the wire, however, I'm not totally convinced just stuffing it under the body. Did you tie it along the way? waiting for some talent ppl finding a way to use the pre-wired port behind the bumper.
I hear you. I was nervous about running it too. I wired it to the penthouse under the back seat, then with a separate battery in the trunk, but feeding it through that grommet hole was so much easier. Wish I would have known you didn’t need to remove the bumper cover and taillight earlier.

I hear you. I was nervous about running it too. I wired it to the penthouse under the back seat, then with a separate battery in the trunk, but feeding it through that grommet hole was so much easier. Wish I would have known you didn’t need to remove the bumper cover and taillight earlier.

Wait a sec. You used a separate battery? I watched this youtube from etrailer which run the wire all the way to connect to the front battery from under the body. That made me pretty worried, plus I don't have a lift for the car. If a separate battery is fine, why would I bother to run the wire to the back seat, let along all the way to the front. I suppose I can just leave the battery in the trunk, secured somehow, and connect it to the 119190 you linked above. That make things pretty easy, right? Only downside I see is how you can charge your separate 12v battery.

Sorry if this question seems stupid. As I stated before, I have absolutely zero experience on any car before install the hitch, not even change tires by myself.

Wait a sec. You used a separate battery? I watched this youtube from etrailer which run the wire all the way to connect to the front battery from under the body. That made me pretty worried, plus I don't have a lift for the car. If a separate battery is fine, why would I bother to run the wire to the back seat, let along all the way to the front. I suppose I can just leave the battery in the trunk, secured somehow, and connect it to the 119190 you linked above. That make things pretty easy, right? Only downside I see is how you can charge your separate 12v battery.

Sorry if this question seems stupid. As I stated before, I have absolutely zero experience on any car before install the hitch, not even change tires by myself.

The second battery made things weird. For one thing I could only get all the lights working correctly if it shared the same ground as the vehicle. The lights did work correctly after that but it seemed to mess with my cars infotainment slightly (more delays, restarts). The extra battery I put in the trunk died on the way back from the coast so I had no trailer lights. It didn’t work that well for me in the long run, but it got me to the lake and back a few times. Running the wire to the front wasn’t bad in comparison.

The second battery made things weird. For one thing I could only get all the lights working correctly if it shared the same ground as the vehicle. The lights did work correctly after that but it seemed to mess with my cars infotainment slightly (more delays, restarts). The extra battery I put in the trunk died on the way back from the coast so I had no trailer lights. It didn’t work that well for me in the long run, but it got me to the lake and back a few times. Running the wire to the front wasn’t bad in comparison.

Right. Better run the wire to the front. Thanks!

I completed the installation - man what a struggle to get the bumper fascia in and the gaps. I didn't plan to install the wiring harness for towing. I've taken lot of pics, but will share it may be net week.

This weekend we are heading to So Lake Tahoe for a bike riding trip and I'll carry 3 road bikes on a rack. Expecting a total of 500 miles total and I'll share the details on energy consumption.

Reactions: Z28diddy
I completed the installation - man what a struggle to get the bumper fascia in and the gaps. I didn't plan to install the wiring harness for towing. I've taken lot of pics, but will share it may be net week.

This weekend we are heading to So Lake Tahoe for a bike riding trip and I'll carry 3 road bikes on a rack. Expecting a total of 500 miles total and I'll share the details on energy consumption.

I feel u bro! There were good few hours spent on that along for my too. Good luck on your trip.

Thanks for your pictures and pointers on getting the bumper back on. I spent way too long trying to get the bumper on with it pushing against the hitch rail. Had to take a frustration break, had some pizza and a couple beers and I figured it must have been something hitting the hitch bar. Pulled up your post, 10 minutes later it was on.

I only needed 2 sockets I didn't have:
15mm deep to remove crash bar
11/16 deep to attach crash bar with equipment from Curt.

View attachment 544644 View attachment 544645

Hi Z28diddy, I just ordered the same Curt 1 1/4" hitch (the newer one) and plan on installing it myself. Can I confirm if you had the panel gap issues that the others are having or if the newer model fixed that? thanks

Hi Z28diddy, I just ordered the same Curt 1 1/4" hitch (the newer one) and plan on installing it myself. Can I confirm if you had the panel gap issues that the others are having or if the newer model fixed that? thanks

I had no panel gap issues. Maybe I just got lucky? Really, it was all pretty simple except getting the bumper back on. I came to the realization on what was happening - the clips were hitting the horizontal bar on the hitch and confirmed that by re-reading this thread. It certainly helped to have someone (or in my case I had two people there) to hold the bumper in place without mounting it. I crawled under, gave a few solid tugs down from inside the bumper and you could tell when it slid down and on where it should be. Other than that I pushed the top of the bumper into it's clips from the center working out to the edges. I only did it once and everything is lined up just like it was before i disassembled. I have a 2020, I think it was built in Oct 2019, if that helps at all?

I had no panel gap issues. Maybe I just got lucky? Really, it was all pretty simple except getting the bumper back on. I came to the realization on what was happening - the clips were hitting the horizontal bar on the hitch and confirmed that by re-reading this thread. It certainly helped to have someone (or in my case I had two people there) to hold the bumper in place without mounting it. I crawled under, gave a few solid tugs down from inside the bumper and you could tell when it slid down and on where it should be. Other than that I pushed the top of the bumper into it's clips from the center working out to the edges. I only did it once and everything is lined up just like it was before i disassembled. I have a 2020, I think it was built in Oct 2019, if that helps at all?
Thanks, that's reassuring to know. That and all the advice in these threads are really helpful. I've got a 2018, so fingers crossed there are no hiccups.

It's good to know the cutout fits!

So look at my photos from post #5. Make sure the bumper isn't getting hung up on those marked spots. To be sure, undo the bumper again and have someone push in the bumper from the center of the trunk. Don't fasten the bumper on the taillight clips or around the sides yet! Go under the car and ensure that the bolts that go in the underpanel align and run those in first. If the bolts don't align, then it's likely you're hung up on those spots. With someone still holding/pushing on the bumper from the center of the trunk, try pulling down the underpanel so it slides over those spots... that's what did it for me.

Then work around and push the clips near the tail lights and then the sides should go in with a few good pushes on the bumper. I hope that helps!

nayr14, Big thanks for your post. I just finished installing the 1 1/4" hitch (model #11581) earlier today. Sadly the newer model still has the fit issues. I was really struggling to get the bumper back on. I finally took a break and reread all the posts and remembered your advise. Unfortunately I didn't have an extra hand to help but could prop the bumper up and really had to tug hard a number of time from the bottom. Once I got one hole lined up, I would screw in the bolt and then try to get the next one, and so on.Took quite awhile, but that was the trick. The sides were difficult to get in properly and I accidentally broke one of trim clip. It doesn''t look too bad so I'll leave as is for the time being. Curt really needs to get this fixed. But at just $125 shipped (ordered through uhaul, but shipped directly from Curt), I guess I shouldn't complain.

edit: My Model 3 is a 2018 without the hatch. I took off the bottom panel from the bumper and then test fitted it over the hitch to find the smallest hole I could use.

20200801_140044.jpg 20200801_184426.jpg

Reactions: nayr14