Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curve Bulge on the Yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice that there's a subtle curved bulge on my Yoke (Model S LR 2021).
I saw this too on a couple videos in YouTube from other Model S Plaid and LR.
Anybody knows what is this?
I hope I didn't make anybody aware of this issue when they weren't aware before šŸ˜‚

Attachments

• CurveLineOnYoke.jpg
    CurveLineOnYoke.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 487
Just to clarify. All steering wheels with airbags have this line. Itā€™s where the wheel splits open to deploy the airbag. Manufacturers just try to hide it with the curves\features of the airbag cover. The reason this one sticks out is because the airbag cover is mostly featureless and smooth.

Here is a picture from my wifeā€™s XC40. Even Volvo couldnā€™t escape this one.

Attachments

• E87C28BD-E5CF-424A-B26C-9CFB900E606D.jpeg
    E87C28BD-E5CF-424A-B26C-9CFB900E606D.jpeg
    533.4 KB · Views: 255
I was partial about the yoke. The design definitely focus on the 'cool'/ being different factor more than functionality especially for parking and more than 90 degree turn.

However, I do have to say having that empty space above the wheels feels great.
I also notice that it is nicer for highway driving (which usually most of my driving time).
Going back to other cars that have steering wheels feels a bit cramped (you have to experience this in person).
As for the excuse of blocking the car Dashboard info, I called that BS. They absolutely do it for the cool factor.

My main worry is when the FSD for City start rolling out and when you need to catch the yoke to correct it. I think it's going to be a problem. We'll see, I wont draw conclusion yet until I tried it personally.
So far I'm happy especially with the improvement of the turn signal functionality.

I was partial about the yoke. The design definitely focus on the 'cool'/ being different factor more than functionality especially for parking and more than 90 degree turn.

However, I do have to say having that empty space above the wheels feels great.
I also notice that it is nicer for highway driving (which usually most of my driving time).
Going back to other cars that have steering wheels feels a bit cramped (you have to experience this in person).
As for the excuse of blocking the car Dashboard info, I called that BS. They absolutely do it for the cool factor.

My main worry is when the FSD for City start rolling out and when you need to catch the yoke to correct it. I think it's going to be a problem. We'll see, I wont draw conclusion yet until I tried it personally.
So far I'm happy especially with the improvement of the turn signal functionality.
Yeah during AutoPark itā€™s scary since Iā€™m always keeping an eye on my rear wheel for curb prevention. A yoke makes this much harder to wrangle in an emergency.

Reactions: Wol747 and RobotX
Ah I haven't tried the Auto park feature. I should give it a go and see how the yoke behave. It rarely pop up for me though when I want to try it in real scenario. What's funny is that it did pop up when I was already half way in my home garage šŸ˜…

I wish Tesla stuck with the old steering wheel. It was so much better looking.
Tesla board meeting: Ok people, we are selling literally 5 model S/X every month. What do we do to make the general public buy model S/X in huge numbers?
Tesla employee: Lets take out the wheel and put a stupid yoke in.
Tesla btw, we care about safety rating of our cars btw, cringe btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: NoMoGas
Yeah during AutoPark itā€™s scary since Iā€™m always keeping an eye on my rear wheel for curb prevention. A yoke makes this much harder to wrangle in an emergency.
Just got the FSD Beta 10.6. Boy the Yoke really makes it unintuitive in countering bad behavior from the car driving in the city. There are moments that I need to take over during a 90 degree left turn (for some reason it's trying to hit another car on the left lane or curb by turning too much), it's cumbersome.

I ended up putting my hand on the side of the yoke slightly to the corner to try to follow the turn. That way I struggle less when I need to find grip. But definitely not ideal compared to a round wheel.