TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Curved Model X Bike/Ski Rack

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jeeter, Feb 16, 2016.

1. jeeter

jeeter Member

I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered. During the Model X launch event, Elon (with the help of a young boy) demonstrated the ease of installing a hitch mounted bike/ski rack as shown in this video clip (60 seconds):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgBP57D6Io

I like the curved look of this rack and I like how the rear hatch can open and close without making any adjustments to the rack. Which bike rack is this? What I find interesting is at that on the screen behind the Model X on stage, they show a "top view" of this bike rack while the physical demonstration is occurring. But then towards the end of the clip (around the 37 second mark), they switch to a Model X image with skis on the back, that shows a different bike/ski rack all together. It clearly has a hinge towards the bottommost portion of the rack and isn't curved. This image towards the end is the same one found in the configurator (shown here).

Can someone help me locate the curved bike rack that was demonstrated on stage? Thanks in advance everyone!

2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I don't believe that the bike/ski hitch is available yet. My guess is that Tesla is still putting their final touches on the design and need to have it manufactured. When it is ready, I would expect it to show up on their Model-X Shopping Page. This is all speculation at this point.

3. jeeter

jeeter Member

#3 jeeter, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Thanks Vandacca!

Embedding the video and image I mentioned in the original post, for ease of use:

60 second video of curved bike rack:

Image of Configurator Bike/Ski Rack:
    12032783_10100997157250718_1880560850416855350_o.jpg

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Yup. As vandacca said it's likely a one off like the center console we also saw in a 6 seat Founders X at the reveal. Keep checking the Tesla accessory store as it may one day show up there.

5. Bogobec

Bogobec New Member

Hi jeeter.

The ski rack shown in the configurator is a combination of two Yakima products.

The bike rack Fulltilt 4:
    FullTilt 4

And the ski accessory Hitchski:
    HitchSki - Snow - Activity

Hope this helps ;)

6. jeeter

jeeter Member

Yep I figured that was a Yakima product. Can't wait to learn more about the curved one from the launch video :smile:

7. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Member

Is anyone aware of any new information about the Tesla curved trailer hitch bike rack introduced a the MX reveal?

8. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Vaporware. So far that is the only one that exists. Not sure you'd want to use it anyway since it had no way to fasten bikes to it. The bike they demostrated just rested on top of it.

• Like x 1
  9. proven

proven Member

Yeah... the demo one at the launch event was just a curved bar with no way to latch a bike, let alone keep it from swaying. I was at the launch event and while it looked cool, I just don't understand how it would work.