Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom 21" Arachnid wheels -- your choice of color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the close of the current referral program, I will have for sale one set of brand new 21" custom Arachnid wheels, in YOUR CHOICE of color: black, silver or grey.

According to Tesla, these wheels will include summer performance tires and installation.

"These exclusive forged aluminum wheels offer improved performance and are not available for purchase."

I'd prefer to sell them to someone in the greater NYC, NJ, or Connecticut areas, so I can work with the local service centers (Mt. Kisco NY, Milford CT, Paramus NJ) to make sure this will work out for both of us. I assume these wheels/tires will be made available sometime this summer after July 15th, but actual timing is dependent on Tesla Motors, of course.

Asking price is $3,500. A $500 deposit upfront (via Paypal), and the balance upon installation (cash or Paypal).

* Non-local installation may be possible once Tesla releases information on how these wheels can be claimed.

** If Tesla materially changes the referral program or the details of this Arachnid wheel offer such that I can't acquire these wheels, of course the $500 deposit will be refunded. **

upload_2016-6-16_17-47-5.png

Wow - weren't they, like, $7,600 when they were available in the Tesla store? A 21" turbine wheel+tire package is $6,000. $3,500 for these sounds like a hekuva bargain.

They won't work for me as my wife won't appreciate them on her Model S, and they won't fit my Roadster...but this should make somebody very happy. I really like the look. Though it would be nice if Tesla would show pictures of the other colors!

Wow - weren't they, like, $7,600 when they were available in the Tesla store? A 21" turbine wheel+tire package is $6,000. $3,500 for these sounds like a hekuva bargain.

I didn't know they were that much when offered. I was basing the price on $6k for new Turbines+tires in the store now.

But yeah, I thought I could/should ask for more, but I didn't want to come across as too greedy. In business and negotiations, I also believe in setting a fair price and not to overreach, because that never works out well.

Hank, I have heard that often winnings like this are taxed at about 50%. If the value of these wheels is $7600 (that's about what I recall, too) then you'll owe about $3800 in tax on the prize, which means you'll end up losing $300 if you sell them at $3500. I hope my assumption about 50% tax is way off, but I wanted to mention this before you find yourself in a pickle.

Incidentally, I'm in the same boat with a set of arachnid wheels coming, and because of the horrid condition of the roads I drive on, I will probably choose to sell mine as well.

Based on the staggered wheel specs, the tires will be 245/265, front/rear. Hope his helps. :cool:

A few people have asked about the wheels/tires and if they are staggered 245/265. I do not know and won't know until the program ends and we have more details released by Tesla.

Here are the specs on the wheel ...
21″ Arachnid Wheel
Size: 21 X 8.5″ front,21 X 9.0″ rear.
Offset: +40 front, +40 rear
PCD: 5X120
Center Bore: 64.1mm
Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft.

Hank, I have heard that often winnings like this are taxed at about 50%. If the value of these wheels is $7600 (that's about what I recall, too) then you'll owe about $3800 in tax on the prize, which means you'll end up losing $300 if you sell them at $3500. I hope my assumption about 50% tax is way off, but I wanted to mention this before you find yourself in a pickle..

If it's taxed (i.e. Tesla sends out 1099s, which there's no indication they will or have except for the previous Model S/X awards), it would be taxed just as your regular tax bracket. I will have to investigate that angle though and get an answer from Tesla, so that could certainly change things and I'd have to re-evaluate the offer. So thank you, I had not considered taxes.

Also, if they are taxed, it's also possible to declare them at "fair market value" instead of the stated 1099 value.

• Funny
Reactions: Reekdog
Hank, I have heard that often winnings like this are taxed at about 50%. If the value of these wheels is $7600 (that's about what I recall, too) then you'll owe about $3800 in tax on the prize, which means you'll end up losing $300 if you sell them at $3500. I hope my assumption about 50% tax is way off, but I wanted to mention this before you find yourself in a pickle.

Incidentally, I'm in the same boat with a set of arachnid wheels coming, and because of the horrid condition of the roads I drive on, I will probably choose to sell mine as well.
Years ago, I won a 52" flat-screen TV from NewEgg. The 1099 they sent me claimed a value of $3000 but I looked on their site and they sold the TV for $1999 and even had it on sale for $1499 at one time. I claimed the true value of the prize was $1499 and only had to pay taxes on that amount.

It might be harder to claim a lower value on these wheels/tires since they are 'exclusive' but perhaps the price of similar 21" wheels/tires could be substituted.

It might be harder to claim a lower value on these wheels/tires since they are 'exclusive' but perhaps the price of similar 21" wheels/tires could be substituted.

Even the 21" turbine wheels are $6000. And, for what it's worth, I just used the Internet Archive's "Wayback Machine" to look at the website shop.teslamotors.com to see what the arachnid wheels were priced at earlier this year. The only thing I could find was back in February with no price, just the word "Backordered". This is what the description was back then:

This package includes:

• 4 Arachnid wheels
• 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sport (PSS) tires
• 4 tire pressure sensors
• 4 Tesla logo wheel caps

*Lug nuts sold separately*

Shipping, assembly, and installation at a Tesla service center are included.