Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Ambient Lighting Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I just dropped off my Model 3 Performance to get some custom interior lighting. I thought I was a genious at designing a custom fiber optic lighting system but literally in the last day someone posted a video that is exactly what I am doing in my Model 3. Same product and the same design. I do not feel special anymore but I thought I would show the link of what was posted by another custom installer.

Hopefully mine turns out just as good. I get it back sometime next week! Here is the link to what mine should look like....its the exact same products from XK Glow. Parts are about $500-$600 plus labor.

I will post a video with my install next week but here is what the other custom installer posted.

Check it out!

Hi all,

I just dropped off my Model 3 Performance to get some custom interior lighting. I thought I was a genious at designing a custom fiber optic lighting system but literally in the last day someone posted a video that is exactly what I am doing in my Model 3. Same product and the same design. I do not feel special anymore but I thought I would show the link of what was posted by another custom installer.

Hopefully mine turns out just as good. I get it back sometime next week! Here is the link to what mine should look like....its the exact same products from XK Glow. Parts are about $500-$600 plus labor.

I will post a video with my install next week but here is what the other custom installer posted.

Check it out!

UMMMMM YES PLEASE!

Reactions: groovidad
Foot wells and stuff seem a little bright to me, but the fiber optic accents look really slick. A couple things I worry about though...

1. Does anyone else worry that after removing so much trim and putting it back that it’s never seated as tight as before and will rattle or something over time?

2. Did they hide the source of those fiber optic LEDs deep in the door panels?! I feel like you could have heat wrapped part of that fiber optic with an opaque black plastic and then hidden the actual LED source down in the foot well against the firewall or something. I have seen LEDs, even the high quality 20k to 40k hour ones fail way way before their rated life, or dim unexpectedly fast....

I wonder how much labor is on that, I would imagine that’s half a day to a full day of work... so $500 to $1000 or something?

Dang, that looks really cool. I'm not not big on "look at me" upgrades but that was amazing.

I wonder if they will make a similar kit for the exterior of the car -- would look like Tron! (I imagine you could only use it when not on a public road, though)

Foot wells and stuff seem a little bright to me, but the fiber optic accents look really slick. A couple things I worry about though...

1. Does anyone else worry that after removing so much trim and putting it back that it’s never seated as tight as before and will rattle or something over time?
Definitely is too bright, but the app seems comprehensive enough to have a dimming feature.

But YES, the amount of parts they removed and disassembled seems unnecessary - did they really need to take the glass window out of the door?

Also, the piping in the door cards don’t seem to be hidden very well

Wow. That looks incredible. One of the things I miss a lot is the configurable ambient lighting throughout my Audi A4. Really disappointed coming from that going to 6 LEDs that you can barely see at night that Tesla calls “ambient” lighting. This is how it should be in the Model 3.

Reactions: outdoors
Wow. That looks incredible. One of the things I miss a lot is the configurable ambient lighting throughout my Audi A4. Really disappointed coming from that going to 6 LEDs that you can barely see at night that Tesla calls “ambient” lighting. This is how it should be in the Model 3.

Agreed. My Edge had some nice color changing ambient lighting. I had to turn the 3’s off as I found the plain white annoying at night. I may look into changing them all out for blue.

Anyone know offhand if the footwell bulbs and door bulbs are the same? Thinking of getting some from AO.

Definitely is too bright, but the app seems comprehensive enough to have a dimming feature.

But YES, the amount of parts they removed and disassembled seems unnecessary - did they really need to take the glass window out of the door?

Also, the piping in the door cards don’t seem to be hidden very well

The app allows for dimming and controller changes to each zone (I think you can do 2 zones). Google XK Glow and you can visit the manufacturers website.
I agree, I will post my installation but there are other videos that show you only need to pop off the inside door panel which is pretty easy. Removing the glass was to access a cavity but you could easily mount it without taking out the glass. I can post a link to a video that shows remocing the panel and not requring you to remove the glass.