TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Custom BBS FI wheels for Tesla

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by 4sevens.com, Nov 14, 2013.

1. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

Custom BBS FI wheels for Tesla

I'm in discussion with BBS (one of the top motorsports wheel manufacturers in the world) about a custom set of wheels for the Tesla Model S.

I've always love the BBS FI design (I have a set for my bmw m3) and figuring out all the dimensions and proper offsets to make it work (both for standard and performance - square and staggered). I'm looking at 8.5x20 and 9.5x20 and possibly 10x20. Standard S' or those who want range efficiency can go 8.5 wide all the way around. Performance and Performance plus and go 9.5 or 10 if we go that wide.

Here is a picture of a 20in BBS FI would look like (20in is the perfect balance between 21 and 19!). These cold forged wheels are extremely lightweight and strong. I estimate about 18 pounds for the front wheel which is insane for a 20in wheel. You'll reduce corner weight by at least 10 pounds.

These will run about $8k per set and I the minimum order is 20 sets!!! So I'm putting out a feeler here to check for interest. Please post if you're interested. Then the next stage if there is enough interest is to start pre-orders (which will be discounted). Once there is enough I'll put in the order.

Lets make this happen! I'm stoked about these rims! :)

-D

List Date: 11/12/2013

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Custom BBS FI wheels for Tesla
    --------------------------------------
    On Sale For: $8,000.00

buynowbutton.png
    --------------------------------------
    tesla-motors-club.gif
    q7sHmKPXYUBB2.jpg

2. nexnbax

nexnbax Member

They look very nice. Have you looked at HRE P101? I have had the HRE's on my M5 and 911. They are the top caliber wheel company and just made sets for the model S, along with the McLaren.
    They are also coming in at very low weights and in fact the 21" x 9.5" has been weighed at 18.2 lbs coming in at the same price. I like the way the 20's feel, yet a 21" just looks so damned good.
    Wishing you great success on the project. I will be ordering a set of 21's in the spring. Let's see some more close up photos.
    Thanks,
    Ivan

3. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

I didn't have good experience with HRE's... they are forged but I bent one wheel on my m3 and they didn't make good on the wheels.

Yes... I think 20's are the perfect compromise between looks and performance/comfort. I started with stock 21's and they were pretty harsh. I'm on 19's now and hate the wheel/fender gap.

4. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

From what I heard of HRE's is that the center area is forged, but the rim/lip area is not... Good to check to see what is exactly forged.

5. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

Thats terrible. But I think mine is entirely forged. It's a one piece monoblock wheel

6. gdh66

gdh66 Member

I can't believe a 21x9.5 wheel, forged or not, can weigh 18.2 lbs.

7. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

They also look quite a bit like the Avant Garde M510 but I know the AG wheel are quite a bit more inexpensive. *I am not knocking BBS by any means and are nice wheels but you also pay a bit for the name...

8. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

I just got word that a test set is coming to me in december/january. It's going to be awesome. By the way these are 20in not 21in.
    As soon as I get them I'll post pictures here. Looks like the price will be able 2500 per wheel.

-D

9. Blathering1

Blathering1 Remember

Did you ever get these 20" wheels in? How did they test out?

10. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

I'll be mounting them on my Model X tomorrow :)

11. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

The 20's didn't fit the S but I held on them them for years. They fit the X perfectly!

I couldn't wait for tires to show up so I used the OE 255/275's

Attached Files: