Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom build or inventory car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I posted earlier regarding the free charging situation. Thanks for the advice.

I'm in a fortunate position in that I'm being offered a very nice new company car – if it's a Tesla it'd be a P100D (I'm agonising between that and the new Panamera Hybrid Turbo ST). If I do get go with the Tesla, I'd prefer to get one by the Christmas/New Year period as I'll have a lot of miles to cover then.

I'm not entirely confident I'd get the car by then if I do a custom order, but there's an inventory car available that fits my needs and could be available within a few weeks apparently. However, I see from the spec that it has leather seats which I now understand were withdrawn back in July. So presumably this means the build date for this car could be early July or even before?

So, my questions are, firstly have there been any significant hardware upgrades since that time that I'd be missing out on? I've discovered there was a drive unit upgrade this summer but that didn't affect P models, but not yet come across anything else.

Secondly, I've read that Tesla's 'vegan' leather is actually superior to the genuine leather they offered. Does anyone have an opinion on that? Given the choice I would have opted for genuine leather – but I guess I'm basing that on experiencing horrible fake leather vinyl on cars I had years ago.

Finally, are there any other things I should be aware of if I go down the route of buying an inventory car? It's exactly the spec I would have put together myself, except the details don't appear to include the bio-warfare HEPA filter. But I guess that could just be an omission, or was it an optional extra back in June/July?

Thanks – and any other advice appreciated!

I've read that Tesla's 'vegan' leather is actually superior to the genuine leather they offered

I've read that too - people being disappointed that the Leather option was removed, and then finding that they couldn't tell the difference once they got delivery ... and, presumably, the Vegan will be more hard wearing.

So presumably this means the build date for this car could be early July or even before?

I'm not familiar wit the length of time shipping takes, but maybe cars arriving in the UK now are not much more recent than a July build date? Takes a while on the train around USA, the boat to Holland, and then into showroom and ready for collection in the UK.

Tesla change hardware willy-nilly, so its hard to predict when something is likely to change, and prospective customers could wind up waiting a long time if they were concerned about that. Flip side, if you place an order today, and improvements are introduced during your Lead Time, on past experience you will (generally) get those at no extra cost. The battery size I ordered was discontinued,and I had to chose smaller / larger (with price adjustment at original price list), but all the other changes were included without charge, and there were significant price-list increases during that time too

With the tool-up for Model-3 (not to mention the way the wind may be blowing ... particularly if delivery targets are being missed and USA customer deliveries will be sufficiently shorter and thus results in "Final Sales" more quickly) the estimated delivery date for a newly placed order, from UK, may not match reality I'm afraid.

I think HEPA-filter was part of premium upgrade package already in summer, my inventory car had it with PUP.

It is best to check with a sales advisor, they can see this in the system for 100% certainty in matter of minutes. Same for the actual build date.

Leather thing is a matter of taste. I had over night test loaner with vegan leather, and if I had not known its not genuine, I would not have suspected. I test drove a tan "real" leather Model S few months ago and don't remember any perceived difference. There are many variety of leather of course, and what I had in A8 was a bit softer than Tesla "vegan". I chose to get, and would choose again, the textile seats.

As far as the leather issue, I prefer the white vegan “leather” in my wive's Model X compared to the genuine black leather in my model S. Softer and more scratch resistant.

I also prefer the vegan leather in my wife's X compared the leather in my S. I would add vegan leather is less "wrinkly" compared to natural leather on a Tesla.

With Tesla you have to carefully understand what you are getting. I just bought a Model X from Inventory that was in the distribution center so I assumed it had the same specs as a newly ordered car, but it does not include a trailer hitch, whereas a newly ordered X now includes that. My fault for not looking in greater detail, but to be honest I am not sure even if I did I would have caught this one. I will say would not have changed my mind at all given discount and no waiting.

@Leyliner,

If I recall correctly new build S (and X) have the "2.5" autopilot hardware, with upgraded processor and interior camera. Tesla also is making dozens of small changes per week, most will not be noticeable in everyday use.

Most people with the new "synthetic leather" interior like it better than the real stuff, and it is supposed to hold up better. Your preference here may be the biggest factor in deciding to get the inventory car or a new build.

I am guessing there is no real reason to wait for a new build. It will come down to whether the options and pricing are attractive on the inventory car.

I wouldn't antagonize on the P100D vs. the Porsche. Whenever I see a Panamera, I think to myself " I sure hope that PDB doesn't realize what he is missing out on, if he ever does he will be devastated." :)

GSP

The HEPA is part of the premium upgrade so if it’s got that you have it. I’ve never driven the Porsche but as has been remarked on, once you’ve driven the Tesla anything else is old hat!

If the spec is the the one one you want I wouldn’t hesitate, there’s no way a custom build would be here before the end of the year.

Best of luck!

The changes that were introduced recently added air suspension as standard and removed RWD model S from the list (now dual motor is the only choice). They also streamlined the premium upgrade package.

I bought an inventory S75 and am very happy with it. All the features I wanted (premium interior and upgraded sound) were included and the car was heavily discounted. I drove both single- and dual-motor and I like single motor better (coming from RWD car). air suspension as nice as it sounds is yet another thing that might eventually require an expensive service after warranty and coil suspension is comfortable enough for me.

I guess it boils down to individual preferences, but to me a car with 50 miles on it (like the one I got) is brand new and nice discount was appealing enough to forgo the exact specs I was after. Tesla is notorious for changing features and improving the production efficiency, so there's always going to be that "one little thing" on the wish list that might be missing. YMMV :)

I drove both single- and dual-motor and I like single motor better

I've got the dual motor model - we're a bit out in the sticks and once or twice a decade <Whistles!> we get enough Winter to make 4WD / AWD worthwhile. But, that said, I had a RWD loaner, non-P model, on a wet day and it squirmed a lot, whereas the D is very sure-footed when its wet / greasy, so if that is representative of RWD? I am happy to stick to AWD.

You are definitely closer to proper winters in UK then me here in Texas, for sure :)

Did the loaner come with 19" or 21" wheels? If 21", chances are it was equipped with performance (summer) rubber. I have 19" wheels on mine and so far it handles rain (even torrential) very well.

maybe the tires were bald! For sure I should have checked ...
Could be, especially on the loaner. Most of the time people don't treat them kindly ;)
Regardless, you should be able to spot an inventory dual-motor vehicle that suits your preferences. In my books this was an unnecessary expense given the climate and likelihood of travelling during harsh conditions. In severe weather (we do have occasional black ice, not so much of snow) I am more concerns about others who are unable to adapt to situation than me. I stay home.

Actually, this thread might help you out a bit.

I agree. Decades ago we used to have at least one 4WD (sports rather than offroad) "just in case" for Winters. Since we have been using Winter Tyres we haven't bothered with 4WD/AWD and been quite happy with FWD. Traction and stopping ability on Winter tyres in adverse conditions is amazing.

But I don't think I'd be able to gun it quite the same away from the lights on a roundabout taking the first exit up a ramp onto dual-carriageway :) (Yeah, we do have traffic lights ON some Roundabouts in the UK ...)

Reactions: arcus and PrGrPa