Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Bumper from Unplugged Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone

My car was involved in an accident and the front bumper was pretty much gone. I had the option of going with OEM bumper (pre-autopilot) vs. new facelift bumper.

It was cost effective for me to go with new facelift bumper as well.

So went and ordered the custom bumper from Unplugged Performance. I am not an expert and therefore not sure where the fault lies.

Body shop now states that Unplugged Performance bumper has several issues. They are listed below:
  • They are saying that bumper fit is not great.
  • Bumper sensor holes are straight however the left sensor hole is in the body line. Body shop states that sensor needs to face forward and due to the sensor hole.
  • Hood is not sitting equally on both sides of the bumper

Anybody had difficulties with custom bumper especially from Unplugged performance?

Any suggestions or comments welcome?

Thanks

Attachments

• SAM_4404.JPG
    SAM_4404.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 221
  • SAM_4401.JPG
    SAM_4401.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 201
  • SAM_4400.JPG
    SAM_4400.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 205
  • SAM_4402.JPG
    SAM_4402.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
We haven't installed specifically this bumper, but based off of experience, aftermarket parts never fit or are 100% exact like OEM parts, and it's something that's pretty much understood in this industry. Good body shops can typically make bad fitment parts fit better, but without being the actual shop to have worked on your car and that bumper, it's hard to say what the problem can be. It could be your shop doesn't have the experience to make it look better, or maybe the part is just a little off. Sometimes it's the car itself, especially if it's been in an accident or damaged.

Either way, hopefully it gets resolved for you.

There's a post in here that details how to install ab OEM facelift bumper and it fits perfectly granted you have to buy a few parts.

You could also get a clean used updated bumper from Craigslist.

The other TMC posts that I have read all conclude that is cost prohibitive to try fitting an OEM facelift bumper on a Classic Model S.
The additional labor and parts required will result in a challenging project that will cost more than going with an aftermarket part. YMMV... :cool:

The other TMC posts that I have read all conclude that is cost prohibitive to try fitting an OEM facelift bumper on a Classic Model S.
The additional labor and parts required will result in a challenging project that will cost more than going with an aftermarket part. YMMV... :cool:

Which post did you read? The few I saw said it was $8-900 total, the cost for just the unplugged bumper is close to $1000 and doesn't look the same.

Reactions: OCP85+