Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom departure/charging/preconditioning schedule

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

E90alex

Mar 20, 2022
Seattle, WA
I find it odd that there’s not a more granular custom schedule option for scheduling charging/departure/preconditioning. It’s a pretty basic function for anything that deals with scheduling and I assume would be pretty easy to add since they already have the weekday and weekend options.

Not everyone has a normal work week and weekend schedule. Or people may not drive the same car to work every day etc.

For example I work Tuesday- Saturday and my start times are different on Saturdays. It’s a bit tedious and annoying to have to remember to adjust the schedule in the app constantly to be sure my car is ready at the proper time each day. It should let users set for each day of the week what we want the car to do.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
It would be nice if the car would link climate control to your google schedule. Since the car knows the time and location of your next event, it could use that along with the estimated drive time to the event to have the car ready to go before it's time to depart.

I set up my own system to do just that using Homeassistant home automation software. It takes a bit of doing, though, so not something for the average owner.

Then may I suggest looking at TeslaFi or other such app. Integrated with the Tesla api, these have customizable scheduling capabilities that should let you do what you want.
I don’t want to pay for basic functionality that the car should include. Nor do I really want to give my Tesla credentials to another app/company to access my car.

I don't believe you give credentials anymore, it should be oauth2 enabled. Still, you don't have to do it, I was merely pointing out an option. As you wish.

Edit: as for "should include", are there many other cars that provide what you are asking for?
Yes. BMW EVs, Hyundai/Kia EVs, Ford EVs all allow a per day schedule for departure time/preconditioning.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
It would be nice if the car would link climate control to your google schedule. Since the car knows the time and location of your next event, it could use that along with the estimated drive time to the event to have the car ready to go before it's time to depart.

I set up my own system to do just that using Homeassistant home automation software. It takes a bit of doing, though, so not something for the average owner.
Yes, as it reads the calender I would like it to react on commando's in the description as TESLACOMMAND:AIRCO-ON and so on.

Yes, as it reads the calender I would like it to react on commando's in the description as TESLACOMMAND:AIRCO-ON and so on.
That would certainly be possible. But, if you can infer the need for the car based on locations of the event, driver and car. That's what I do.

It's also possible to use a separate calendar for events which require the car, though I don't favor that approach. Much better to make it automatic.

In addition to reacting to the calendar, I have an automation that senses when I am returning to a train station that I sometimes use and turns on climate about 10 minutes before my train arrives at that station.

And, when I park the car at certain stores, like grocery stores I use, the automation system turns the climate back on after the car locks itself so that the car stays cool during the short time I'm in the store.

Once you implement your own control mechanisms, you can do a lot of nifty things.

Reactions: Hbrink
What, IMHO, is needed is the One-shot. Charge tonight, just tonight! at 1am. Precondition once for 4:30 pm departure today, just today. No schedule, no location dependency, no recurrence. For a company so enamoured of KISS, it eludes me why this is absent.

Reactions: fmanders
I agree completely. 'Once' is the most basic functionality, a typical starting point for software to build on. It is probably -- for most people most of the time -- the most useful setting.

Since the only options are 'weekdays' and 'weekends', I bet a lot of other people besides me occasionally forget to turn it off, and a bunch of electricity is wasted the next day . . . and the next . . .

How do we send them a suggestion?

To wit: "Smarten up, Tesla! Why would you set up your ownership base to inadvertently waste kWhrs?"

Reactions: cmy4x4
Relatedly... In the T app, at least on Android, if there is currently a Schedule for charging set up, and you go and change the Schedule for Departure, an undesired side-effect is that your Schedule for charging (the other tab) gets disabled. So.. my own Schedule-for-dealing-with-Tesla-routine every morning at coffee is: - check if yesterday's Departure sched. is still in effect, and if so turn it off, - then, go back and re-check the Schedule for charging to make sure that didn't silently change in the process. It's getting really, really close to it being frankly more convenient to PHYSICALLY go and plug/unplug the car at the times I want/don't-want it to charge/pre-condition. Clearly there is a limitation in the Tesla API, else the others like Tessie etc. would have plugged this gaping hole. But nobody is able to. Oh well; for all the silly-software/FSD/Autopilot foibles, the basic EV performance & efficiency still rules. Gotta laugh.

Relatedly... In the T app, at least on Android, if there is currently a Schedule for charging set up, and you go and change the Schedule for Departure, an undesired side-effect is that your Schedule for charging (the other tab) gets disabled. So.. my own Schedule-for-dealing-with-Tesla-routine every morning at coffee is: - check if yesterday's Departure sched. is still in effect, and if so turn it off, - then, go back and re-check the Schedule for charging to make sure that didn't silently change in the process. It's getting really, really close to it being frankly more convenient to PHYSICALLY go and plug/unplug the car at the times I want/don't-want it to charge/pre-condition. Clearly there is a limitation in the Tesla API, else the others like Tessie etc. would have plugged this gaping hole. But nobody is able to. Oh well; for all the silly-software/FSD/Autopilot foibles, the basic EV performance & efficiency still rules. Gotta laugh.
You can EITHER have scheduled charging OR scheduled departure. Not both.

Hm. Well, in my particular case, I can have both. I just have to hop back & forth between the two Schedule page tabs to make sure both are on. For eg. in my case, it then charges at midnight for however long needed to get to desired SOC, then wakes up to precondition for 8am. A tad clumsy, but works.