Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Dipped Model S with new 21" AGs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep the dip will go over pretty much anything, did my Jeep SRT prior to the Tesla and it held strong for 1.5 years before I peeled it and traded it in. Dip is very durable and extremely flexible in the applications. When your tired of it just go back over it with a new color.

Reactions: BaileyDog12
Not too bad solid colors are $50 a gallon I used 2.5g of flat black for a base and the color is pearl pigments added to clear and I used 2g of that...so $250 for the dip and $125 for the Pearl pigments. You use a air sprayer to spray and it's pretty easy overall. The Pearl cost varies widely, everything you need is on dipyourcar.com and they have a ton of YouTube videos.

I mean this in a good way:

I must say that this Tesla is the baddest one I have ever seen! What is the actual color called? Does it change colors to different hues when you drive? Lastly, how long did this take?

Last edited:
Not too bad solid colors are $50 a gallon I used 2.5g of flat black for a base and the color is pearl pigments added to clear and I used 2g of that...so $250 for the dip and $125 for the Pearl pigments. You use a air sprayer to spray and it's pretty easy overall. The Pearl cost varies widely, everything you need is on dipyourcar.com and they have a ton of YouTube videos.
and the paint dipping can be removed without ruining the paint underneath?

It was a custom creation combining two different pearl colors Komodo and Reptile, it is a color flip pearl so it does change color. It will look darker green with copper/yellow highlights in spots in low light and in direct sun light it will change to more of a copper with red highlights and some greens in the low areas. It took me 3-4 hours to wash, use a predip spray to clean the finish, mask the car, and then do the first 4 coats of black and then the next morning it took another 2-3 hours to add the color coats, remove the masking, and then peel the dip off of the chrome areas. So you could have it done in a day or so, maybe clean and mask part of one day and then spray the second day. It needs 10-15 minutes between coats, and you can be driving within a few hours.

Yes if you want to remove it (and you put the proper amount of coats) it will just peel off by panel could probably peel the whole car in 15 minutes or so. They recommend 4-6 coats, really closer to 6, to ensure that it is easily peelable if you want to remove. That's the why you use the black base with 4-6 coats and then do your color coats over the top. Protects the paint just like expel paint protection film. The dealer was astonished when I turned in my jeep they said the paint looked like factory fresh since the dip was on it since I owned it. If you do get it too thin then it will only peel in really small sections and is a PITA, they do also sell a dip remover spray that you just spray and soak the area a few times and then power wash off or squeegee off with a towel that works really well.

No I painted directly over the sensors (not the camera obviously) and have had no ill effects in summon, autopilot or normal sensor alerts when parking since I did the dip job. I had no ill effects on my SRT previously either. Good news is if you want to be 100% certain it has no effect you can just peel out the round circle for the sensor only so there is nothing covering it.

It looks ****ing amazing. I love the color. Awesome job man. You did a really good job. No tiger striping. Kudos.

A word of advice. Use more product next time. Unless you decide on doing a color change over the existing dip. 4.5 gallons is not enough for the Model S. It will take forever to peel that. I used 3 black and 4 topcoat on mine. When I did mine I didn't spray the nosecone or the roof since I have the pano. If you were to do another color. It will take at least a gallon of black to provide full coverage. Then another 1.5-2 gallons of topcoat for another color.

Here is mine. I used AutoFlex Coatings High Gloss this time around. I won't go back to dip. This stuff mimics paint for a fraction of the cost.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    722.3 KB · Views: 152
Yeah, I thought I had used a full 3 gallons of base and then realized I had to partial cans instead of empty cans. so it's got 4 to 5 gallons on it. Seemed pretty think to me, but wasn't overly worried as I will probably dip it again later before winter or possible next spring again. I've got some martina blue, copper, and blueberry olive ready to try out.

The auto flex looks great, I haven't had time to research it much yet. You'll need to PM me some details and tips, being that it is more expensive I don't want to just jump into it like the dip. Not sure I have the sprayer for it either at the moment.

It looks ****ing amazing. I love the color. Awesome job man. You did a really good job. No tiger striping. Kudos.

A word of advice. Use more product next time. Unless you decide on doing a color change over the existing dip. 4.5 gallons is not enough for the Model S. It will take forever to peel that. I used 3 black and 4 topcoat on mine. When I did mine I didn't spray the nosecone or the roof since I have the pano. If you were to do another color. It will take at least a gallon of black to provide full coverage. Then another 1.5-2 gallons of topcoat for another color.

Here is mine. I used AutoFlex Coatings High Gloss this time around. I won't go back to dip. This stuff mimics paint for a fraction of the cost.

Mine was the regular plastidip, the autoflex wasn't quite out to the public or had just been released when I did mine, I already had the plastidip material from a previous project. You can do a carbon fiber pattern with the plastidip as well, it's a technique of spraying through a mesh screen, actually looked pretty good. Would be more work of course but it can be done in dip as well.

Hey I will be dipping my model s with autoflex gloss pearl white and chrome delete in satin black in two weeks at a shop in NYC. How has it held up for you so far and any tips or suggestions? Both cars looks great!

Hey I will be dipping my model s with autoflex gloss pearl white and chrome delete in satin black in two weeks at a shop in NYC. How has it held up for you so far and any tips or suggestions? Both cars looks great!

Mine has held up for a year and my previous jeep was almost 2 years on regular dip. Autoflex is a much higher quality product so I would expect it to have much better durability than my regular dip. Not sure how long that is exactly since it is a new product but I would figure it would be equal to a vinyl wrap. If your anything like me you'll be wanting a new color long before it shows any sign of wear.