Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Light Show isn’t Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some recent cars only have functional USB in the glovebox. You can use one drive for everything but it needs to be partitioned (Windows/Mac can do this natively with no apps needed). Skip anything you don't need:
  • Create an exFAT partition named TESLADRIVE with folders named TeslaCam and TeslaTrackMode
  • Create an exFAT partition named whatever with folders Music and Boombox
  • Create a very small FAT32 partition (can be <<100Mb) with a folder named LightShow

Some recent cars only have functional USB in the glovebox. You can use one drive for everything but it needs to be partitioned (Windows/Mac can do this natively with no apps needed). Skip anything you don't need:
  • Create an exFAT partition named TESLADRIVE with folders named TeslaCam and TeslaTrackMode
  • Create an exFAT partition named whatever with folders Music and Boombox
  • Create a very small FAT32 partition (can be <<100Mb) with a folder named LightShow
Interesting but I don’t even see the USB port in the glovebox! 22 M3LR.

edit: does that also mean the ports in the center console and rear seats are only for charging?

Interesting but I don’t even see the USB port in the glovebox! 22 M3LR.

edit: does that also mean the ports in the center console and rear seats are only for charging?

Correct, the ports in the center console and rear seats are only for charging on a 2022 model 3, no data at all. There IS a usb in the glove compartment. Whether you will be able to do the light show also likely depends on if you have matrix lights or not, but there is no data USB access in the center console so if you are trying that, that is futile.

could this be the reason?
If you got a new one, that would be the reason. The port in the glovebox should still work however (for dashcam, music, or whatever).

Note there was also a bug in recent updates that cause the usb drives to constantly unmount. The 2022.16 update was supposed to fix this.
2022.16.1.2 update is here
Tesla USB Dashcam Fixed in 2022.12.3.16 Update, Say Owners - TeslaNorth.com

You can test the usb port in glove box using the dashcam feature (a usb drive should be included with the car for this) and go from there. Note unless you make multiple partitions, the usb drive can be used for only one function, simply creating new folders on the same partition, while keeping the other folders does not work.

You can also buy a USB hub to attach multiple drives or get a card reader (many have two slots so you can easily have two cards, each handling a different function).

Hello,
Did not know that the USBC in the center console is just for charging.... If I add a multi USB adapter hub to the glove box, can I connected the Tesla Flash drive and the custom light show USB? Will it recognize all the drives and allow for the custom light show to work?

Attachments

• USB Hub.jpg
    USB Hub.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 275
Reactions: statman55
Hello,
Did not know that the USBC in the center console is just for charging.... If I add a multi USB adapter hub to the glove box, can I connected the Tesla Flash drive and the custom light show USB? Will it recognize all the drives and allow for the custom light show to work?
It should work no problem. I have a multi-slot SD/microSD card reader for use in the glovebox and it seems to have no problem recognizing both independently, so likely any standard USB hub will work the same way. I believe the Tesla uses a Linux based system, so as long as the built in drivers work with the hub you choose, it should work fine. That said, if you are going to buy one, I would buy something returnable in case it turns out incompatible. If you already have one, then it doesn't hurt to try.

Reactions: phishphan
Hello. I have a 2022 Tesla Model 3 (long range). I've tried the custom light show by using the USB port in the glove box and it never works. I know the port works because the dash cam footage is being saved. However, no matter how many different times I try or different light shows, the car doesn't pick up the show. It only plays the Christmas show. I am updated to the most recent software from Sept 2022 (V11.0 2022.24.8). Any ideas why it might not be working? The flashdrive is formatted to Fat32 in a folder with LightShow and the two files needed.

Thanks.

Hello. I have a 2022 Tesla Model 3 (long range). I've tried the custom light show by using the USB port in the glove box and it never works. I know the port works because the dash cam footage is being saved. However, no matter how many different times I try or different light shows, the car doesn't pick up the show. It only plays the Christmas show. I am updated to the most recent software from Sept 2022 (V11.0 2022.24.8). Any ideas why it might not be working? The flashdrive is formatted to Fat32 in a folder with LightShow and the two files needed.

Thanks.
Did you use a separate drive? If the drive has a TeslaCam folder it will not work.

There a guide here:
GitHub - teslamotors/light-show: Tesla Light Show

I also can’t get it to work. 64GB usb ExFAT format. Nothing else on the drive except 1 folder LightShow

Both files are present

Tried both USB C and glovebox.

2 different USB drives one ExFAT and one FAT32

.wav and .mp3 file for music

Last edited:
I also can’t get it to work. 64GB usb ExFAT format. Nothing else on the drive except 1 folder LightShow

Both files are present

Tried both USB C and glovebox.

2 different USB drives one ExFAT and one FAT32

.wav and .mp3 file for music
Figured it out. Watched a video that said you have to rename the two files “lightshow” as well. That wasn’t in the GitHub instructions . Hope this helps someone else.

Figured it out. Watched a video that said you have to rename the two files “lightshow” as well. That wasn’t in the GitHub instructions . Hope this helps someone else.
Actually it is in the instructions, in the "USB flash drive requirements" section:
"
  • The LightShow folder must contain 2 files:
    • "lightshow.fseq"
    • "lightshow.mp3" or "lightshow.wav" (wav is recommended)"
The whole github assumes you use their zip and don't change the filename. so they didn't have to point it out seperately.