Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Made Cooling Fans for Wireless Charging Pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!

I recently installed a 12v outlet in the front bin so I could have Power Delivery and full fast-charge wireless charging on both sides of my Jeda pad!

With fast charging, the phone would get very hot and then slow down or stop charging when charging and running Waze (which is everytime I am in the car...). I finally got around to spending a little time and made a custom fan to cool the phone! I have a long drive tomorrow to test it out!

I tried many fans, and finally found a few that work.

HIGH-LEVEL: I took two 30mm x 30mm x 10mm fans, glued/taped them together, attached them to a USB switch, and stuck them to the underside of the center console tray!

It was a decently quick install. I glued the two 30mm fans together, then removed the sticker backing on the back as my sticky tape kept pulling it off. I put a very thin layer of Gorilla super glue gel on the back of the fans (avoiding the components) and replaced the sticker protecting the terminals with electrical tape. Then I ran another layer of glue over the back and tape I put down, and mounted double sided sticky tape. Reason for gluing tape on was that it kept falling off and would not stick to the fan plastic. With glue + tape stickiness, no issues at all!

For wiring, I wired the two fans in parallel and wired them direct into the USB switch. I also grabbed about 12 inches of misc. small-gauge wire to extend the length. I taped the wiring to the backside of the center console cover and snuck it down behind my tray. Closes no issue and plenty of clearance for the fans, even with stuff in my tray!

Will be testing this out tomorrow, but there is pretty decent airflow for two small fans!

I will update on how this holds up!

Obviously, this is something I did and if you want to try it, that is at your own risk and I assume no liability for issues that may arise from this solution.

Figured I would share as I pondered how to best do this for some time!

Fan1.jpg
Fan4.jpg
Fan6.jpg
Fan8.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Update: Fans worked great! Keep phone running cool and no issues with the fans!

Interesting to see it work, since it seems like you are just blowing air into the phone holder and not back of the pad itself - Have you considered cutting an opening in the phone holder to expose the back of the charging pad? I was looking at instructions to remove that holder; is just 2 screws and clips.

Interesting to see it work, since it seems like you are just blowing air into the phone holder and not back of the pad itself - Have you considered cutting an opening in the phone holder to expose the back of the charging pad? I was looking at instructions to remove that holder; is just 2 screws and clips.

Had to find some very small fans, regular fans too large and these are rear exhaust fans.

The air cools the phone; pad is still warm.but it is enough to keep the charging at full tilt. Seems phone is enough of a conductor for the pad that it keeps it all cool enough.

I thought about getting fancier, but honestly I wanted simple and removable. It isn't a huge problem and typically only on drives over an hour, so it didn't merit a very advanced solution in my mind. Very happy with how something basic like this worked out!

Had to find some very small fans, regular fans too large and these are rear exhaust fans.

The air cools the phone; pad is still warm.but it is enough to keep the charging at full tilt. Seems phone is enough of a conductor for the pad that it keeps it all cool enough.

I thought about getting fancier, but honestly I wanted simple and removable. It isn't a huge problem and typically only on drives over an hour, so it didn't merit a very advanced solution in my mind. Very happy with how something basic like this worked out!

Oh i see. I thought you had the fans hidden under the phone holder.

Reactions: fseir
Hello all!

I recently installed a 12v outlet in the front bin so I could have Power Delivery and full fast-charge wireless charging on both sides of my Jeda pad!

With fast charging, the phone would get very hot and then slow down or stop charging when charging and running Waze (which is everytime I am in the car...). I finally got around to spending a little time and made a custom fan to cool the phone! I have a long drive tomorrow to test it out!

I tried many fans, and finally found a few that work.

HIGH-LEVEL: I took two 30mm x 30mm x 10mm fans, glued/taped them together, attached them to a USB switch, and stuck them to the underside of the center console tray!

It was a decently quick install. I glued the two 30mm fans together, then removed the sticker backing on the back as my sticky tape kept pulling it off. I put a very thin layer of Gorilla super glue gel on the back of the fans (avoiding the components) and replaced the sticker protecting the terminals with electrical tape. Then I ran another layer of glue over the back and tape I put down, and mounted double sided sticky tape. Reason for gluing tape on was that it kept falling off and would not stick to the fan plastic. With glue + tape stickiness, no issues at all!

For wiring, I wired the two fans in parallel and wired them direct into the USB switch. I also grabbed about 12 inches of misc. small-gauge wire to extend the length. I taped the wiring to the backside of the center console cover and snuck it down behind my tray. Closes no issue and plenty of clearance for the fans, even with stuff in my tray!

Will be testing this out tomorrow, but there is pretty decent airflow for two small fans!

I will update on how this holds up!

Obviously, this is something I did and if you want to try it, that is at your own risk and I assume no liability for issues that may arise from this solution.

Figured I would share as I pondered how to best do this for some time!

View attachment 595179 View attachment 595180 View attachment 595181 View attachment 595182
Sorry, but I cannot figure out how you use the fans?

Can you add a picture of the phone(s) and fans in use together.

So far, unless I'm wrong, I only noticed where you are putting your fans in storage when not in use.

Wow that's a lot just to add fans. I am surprised the more premium pad designers did not put fans in. Maybe future upgrade?

But $200, no thank you. Also does not seem to do Samsung Fast charing.

Seems this is the fan they use:

https://smile.amazon.com/Wathai-Brushless-Blower-Projector-Cooling/dp/B07YWRS687

7mm thick is the smallest I could find - I had the idea of trying to mod my old TapTest V1 pad, but the pad is not thick enough to accommodate the fan and close. If Jeda wants to innovate since they complain TapTes stole their design, they should look into adding fans to their pad - otherwise I can't imagine spending $100 + shipping when I can a TapTes V3 for $45 One Day Prime shipping.

TapTes even innovated by adding the charging lights and the newer versions are curved in the back so you can raise the caddy fully instead and not get stuck by the door.

Sorry, but I cannot figure out how you use the fans?

Can you add a picture of the phone(s) and fans in use together.

So far, unless I'm wrong, I only noticed where you are putting your fans in storage when not in use.

He has the fans taped under the phone holder cover ( the top piano black piece of the center console ). So he fans are blowing directly on the phone when he closes it.

He has the fans taped under the phone holder cover ( the top piano black piece of the center console ).
So the fans are blowing directly on the phone when he closes it.
I wonder if the fans can be really effective if you have a phone cover?

It might depend of course of the type of cover but in general a cover might provide some insulation,
thus not providing too much air circulation from the phone to the outside,
and also reflecting the outside air hitting the phone.

How to get fresh air if you close the door?

With fast charging, the phone would get very hot and then slow down or stop charging when charging and running Waze
I would be interested knowing what kind of phone you use and if you have a cover which might works like a blanket blocking any heat convection.

Can you provide some temperature measurement using an App showing the phone temperature with and without the fan running while charging?

How can you use Waze if you close the door on top of the charger ?

Last edited:
I wonder if the fans can be really effective if you have a phone cover?

It might depend of course of the type of cover but in general a cover might provide some insulation,
thus not providing too much air circulation from the phone to the outside,
and also reflecting the outside air hitting the phone.

How to get fresh air if you close the door?

I would be interested knowing what kind of phone you use and if you have a cover which might works like a blanket blocking any heat convection.

Can you provide some temperature measurement using an App showing the phone temperature with and without the fan running while charging?

How can you use Waze if you close the door on top of the charger ?

After reading and watching closely, I think I am wrong. He has those taped to the under side of the center console compartment lid, the middle piano black part, no the top phone cover lid like I thought. The fans are blower type fans, so when closed, the fans air direction point towards the phone. The phone cover would be open.

I don't have a fan setup, but on my 40 min commute and connecting the pad to the 12v for Fast Charging, the temp reported right after I take it off the pad is 38-39 C.