Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Orders for S/X show 3 month wait for delivery now...is a big change coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With holidays and we’re now in mid October, six weeks is December. :D Not sure what the fuss is about.

My X ordered early August had a announced delivery slippage to October on the webpage but I got it around September 20 and would have been earlier except for a one-off shipping snafu.

Until we know better/different, I’m betting on normal schedule here.

the OP's post of Sept 8 has a title of "3 months" when they said time showed November. That is perhaps a 2-month, one week span - November would be mid-month. Early October, it is showing December. Similar 2 months. Maybe the math done on the fly "felt" like 3 months but it doesn't seem to indicate that.

Good point! Enough of the hand wringing already. Did your expected delivery time change after your order was confirmed?

Before I ordered last Tuesday it said early December delivery. After the 72 hour hold it now says late December/early January. I do hope it's this year for the tax benefit. But whatever if not this year I'll take the benefit next year. Out of my control now.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Before I ordered last Tuesday it said early December delivery. After the 72 hour hold it now says late December/early January. I do hope it's this year for the tax benefit. But whatever if not this year I'll take the benefit next year. Out of my control now.
It always seems to do that, add a few weeks after the confirmation. But they also always seem to get the cars to you for EOQ. Shocking. :D

My early August order that said Late September then Sept/October was exactly the same. And you aren’t even close to that.

I was also told it depends on the colo that you order.

Some colors get 2 runs a month vs. others. He said the black, black metallic, white, and midnight silver get 2 runs a months.

Red goes once.

From my understanding, they paint cars in batches so if your car is already painted it speeds up the process.

• Informative
Don’t think it was end of quarter rush because those numbers don’t mean anything till delivery.

Tesla likes to cite production numbers as well; see: Tesla Q3 2017 Vehicle Deliveries and Production (NASDAQ:TSLA)

Further, Tesla needs to over produce in the last month of the quarter so that they can deliver cars during the first month of next quarter, when they take down the production line for changes. If they didn't do this, there would be no window for continuous production improvements.

If I had to bed and depending on where you are, the car will be in your hands mid-november

I'm in Southern California, just a day's truck ride away. The last time I agonized like this, it was while waiting for my Model S, ordered in mid-February this year. Took 45 days from initial order to delivery. It felt like forever at the time and no doubt, this will too.

Thank you. I'm happy to share your optimism.

You're in TX - did they request full payment before shipping out of Fremont? That used to be the case.

Well before delivery they wanted payment but since I have a good relationship with my banker, I always told him to wait to wire money or send check till after I checked out the car.

I'm in Southern California, just a day's truck ride away. The last time I agonized like this, it was while waiting for my Model S, ordered in mid-February this year. Took 45 days from initial order to delivery. It felt like forever at the time and no doubt, this will too.

Thank you. I'm happy to share your optimism.

Ya it’s sad that your so close and takes forever but it’s all about color and also where you are in the quarter because during that time some international orders at priority.