Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom plates (CA.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just ordered my MS 75D and i was able to order my plates online with CA DMV. i am wondering how it works to be able to use those plates on my car. the procedure, and the order of what i need to do is a bit confusing. any first hand help would be great!

thanks!

Nice and congrats on purchasing your MS!
It takes the CA DMV approx 4-8 weeks to make your custom plates. Once they are ready for pickup you will receive a postcard in the mail (snail mail) stating your plates are ready for pickup. All you need to do is then make an appointment at the location on the postcard (which you should have selected during the checkout process) and bring your registration. Then they will hand you your new plates.

Nice and congrats on purchasing your MS!
It takes the CA DMV approx 4-8 weeks to make your custom plates. Once they are ready for pickup you will receive a postcard in the mail (snail mail) stating your plates are ready for pickup. All you need to do is then make an appointment at the location on the postcard (which you should have selected during the checkout process) and bring your registration. Then they will hand you your new plates.
i see! that makes sense. so even if i get the car with standard cal plates, once my custom plates come in, i'll show my registration and they'll hand me my new plates and thats all there is to it! not bad! cant wait for my car to go WARP T3N! lol

Reactions: Black_P85
i see! that makes sense. so even if i get the car with standard cal plates, once my custom plates come in, i'll show my registration and they'll hand me my new plates and thats all there is to it! not bad! cant wait for my car to go WARP T3N! lol

your car wont come with plates from tesla. id assume once the plates are in, they will ask for vin and attach the plate to your car in their database.

You should get your standard plates from the DMV a few weeks after getting the car. You'll need to surrender those when you get the personalized ones.

Probably not worth even putting the standard ones on since you've got the new ones on order already.

Reactions: jdowell362
i just ordered my MS 75D and i was able to order my plates online with CA DMV. i am wondering how it works to be able to use those plates on my car. the procedure, and the order of what i need to do is a bit confusing. any first hand help would be great!

thanks!
The DMV will hold your plates for a fixed amount of time-I don't remember exactly but it was around 90-120 days. If you do not pick up the plates and assign to a vehicle within that timeframe, you forfeit the personalized plate.