Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Plates on a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone share their experience with custom plates on a Tesla. I’ve got a white Model 3 coming in a few weeks time and trying to decide on either black on white or white on black for the plates.

A little worried white text on a black plate might look too out of place on a white car and wouldn’t go with the aesthetics of a white M3.

Has anyone here gone this option or any custom plate colours/ styles and can share their experience and some photos?

thanks

Can anyone share their experience with custom plates on a Tesla. I’ve got a white Model 3 coming in a few weeks time and trying to decide on either black on white or white on black for the plates.

A little worried white text on a black plate might look too out of place on a white car and wouldn’t go with the aesthetics of a white M3.

Has anyone here gone this option or any custom plate colours/ styles and can share their experience and some photos?

thanks
Add Glitter

Reactions: Leeroy and Hairyman
20200327_155457.jpg

thanks
White on white wont look great unless the whites are identical, which they probably wouldn’t be. There is also lots of black features on a white car.

White on black.
A suggestion: select a smaller euro style plate for the rear rather than a standard size plate.

The plastic plate holder can allow the larger plate on the rear to bounce or flap,
especially when closing the tail gate.

I lost the plexiglass Tesla plate frame and after it was replaced by Tesla Service,
I investigated the problem. When the plate was originally affixed to the plate holder, (by Tesla)
the screw that holds the plate on the left hand was overtightened and the plastic boss the screw
engages had burst so the screw no longer attached the plate firmly allowing the plate to flap.

I repaired it with JB Weld: apply JB Weld, apply radial squeeze with small ring clamp,
when JB Weld almost set, carefully remove ring clamp and replace with zip tie.
Zip tie the other side for good measure.
IMG_0688.JPGIMG_0689.JPGIMG_0693.JPGIMG_0692.JPG

The plate was still a bit loose so I added double sided adhesive pads to the bottom
of the plate so that it was attached to the bottom of the plate holder.

IMG_0691.JPG

Finally I bent up two strips of thin aluminium sheet into clips that hold the plate cover securely.

IMG_0694.JPG

Reactions: Hairyman
Did you get the Tesla service centre to put your custom plates on during pick up? Or did you swap them out after pick up?

Also, does anyone know if there are any issues with shorter custom plates e.g. 254 (h) x 134 (w)?

Did you get the Tesla service centre to put your custom plates on during pick up? Or did you swap them out after pick up?

Also, does anyone know if there are any issues with shorter custom plates e.g. 254 (h) x 134 (w)?
If you don’t want holes drilled into your plates, do it yourself. Only use automotive grade double sided tape available from automotive stores like Repco or Supercheap.

Reactions: paulp

Tesla arrange the transport company to supply and install the plates/rego process. Hence if you dont mind some transport guy screwing your plates on crooked with screws that rust, then let them do it. Not sure which model you are applying your plates to. If S the smaller plates will be fairly borderline in covering the existing rear screw points.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies, it is a Model 3.

Provided the plates come in time I will get the Tesla service centre to put them on.

The below images are an example of the plate sizes from the myplates website - so finger crossed the Tesla service centre does not use the far points to screw in the standard plates --> Time to talk to the sales staff :)
1624951572285.png

1624951579671.png