Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LN1_Casey

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Mar 6, 2019
Oahu, Hawaii
I will finally be getting my model S in October of this year, when I move to my new duty station. I previously had custom plates for my vehicle when I was last stateside, and would like that to continue with my Model S performance.

Hawaii, my soon to be state, has a limit of 6 characters. They thankfully have a online configuration website, here. I have discovered that "EDISON" is available. Dunno, should I get it for the irony? Alternatively, ZOOOM is also available. Choices.... :p

Does anyone else have custom plates, if so, of what? Or does anyone have a suggestion?

I have GN2PLAD on my MS Performance. I figured, working and being friends with a bunch of fellow nerds, that more people would get the Spaceballs/Ludicrous reference, but it's been 50/50.
MVIMG_20200520_181737.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: LN1_Casey
I have GN2PLAD on my MS Performance. I figured, working and being friends with a bunch of fellow nerds, that more people would get the Spaceballs/Ludicrous reference, but it's been 50/50. View attachment 547681

Nice. :) Pity that Plaid mode hasn't come out yet, as it'd match that perfect. Maybe if your license plate cover was also a Spaceballs theme, or plaid, it'd be more obvious?

I was going to put BADTSLA on one of my early cars. Then weeks later it was in an accident. The cops might not have been as friendly, helpful, and non-judgmental if it had those plates on.

But hey it's a personal choice. Do whatever you wan't.

I will say a lot of Tesla's have custom plates, at least out here, and most of them are playful or play on words. You could do the same with Edison, or go the other way with ZOOOM.

Me personally I like to keep a low profile. Not too tricked. Subtle paint and wheels. No plates or frame that say look I drive beyond the limit so often and am so proud of it I need to advertise. "Seems" to give just enough with the cops when you get pulled over for doing over.

;-)

• Informative
Reactions: LN1_Casey
Various reasons I’m sure.

don’t want people to know what state they live in.

Generally just carefully with anything personal

Paranoid.

Don’t want anyone using the plate to file a dmv report for say hit and run or to file accident report and have insurance pull the name and address or something so they can mess with someone else from the forum for whatever reason.

I think vanity plates are generally more common on Tesla's than any other cars. Early on (2012-2016), a lot of people would play on the fact that their car is electric and doesn't use oil or gas since Tesla's are less common then. It became so common for us in the Tesla crowd so much so that that most automotive journalists and automotive YouTubers that are critical of Tesla's would point out this particular practice of what they called "Tesla Fanboys."

It boils down to personal choice of course, at the end of the day, do what makes you feel good, not what others think you should do.