Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom registration in California - any experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my MY LR delivered in late November and just to my plates today (shocking - given most experiences getting DMV plates well after the 3 month window). I went to fill out my info for a custom license plate # on the CA DMV website but it said could not locate my car... it's my understanding Tesla files for registration and I don't need to do anything at all.
Can anyone confirm how I should check if my car is registered, and what could be the possible reason? Couldn't find a "checking" tool on the DMV's website. If anyone has ordered custom plates recently interested to hear your experience.

following...

I took delivery 12/20 and only have temporary registration. Did the same in going on DMV site to order custom plates and got the same notification. From order to delivery, everything was done online, yet I was referred by Tesla Insurance to contact sales center to confirm registration was properly sent to DMV. Perhaps give your local sales center a call to confirm they've sent out the registration. From what I've read, there's been an issue in the past with them NOT sending the information to DMV and temporary registrations expiring.

I bought my M3 in August, decided to get custom plates (Legacy plates from the 1960's - old black plates with yellow letters/numbers) back on Oct 10th. The website found my car no problem, but it can take 9-12 months to get custom plates in California (according to the DMV website)!!!

I'd go to the DMV in person and fill out the form there. Take your registration with you, so if you aren't in the system correctly, they can insert the info there. There may be a typo? Who knows.

following...

I took delivery 12/20 and only have temporary registration. Did the same in going on DMV site to order custom plates and got the same notification. From order to delivery, everything was done online, yet I was referred by Tesla Insurance to contact sales center to confirm registration was properly sent to DMV. Perhaps give your local sales center a call to confirm they've sent out the registration. From what I've read, there's been an issue in the past with them NOT sending the information to DMV and temporary registrations expiring.
Update... Received plates today 1/26/22