Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Socket Tool for Refresh Front Plate License Screws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, thanks to Btrflyl8e who was gracious enough to send me a sample screw, I've designed simple little socket adapter that will remove these screws. The socket design has a recess for the wacko 5-lobed security screw and a 1/4 inch recess on the other side that will fit onto a 1/4 inch drive ratchet or Allen wrench or nut driver. I tried to keep it small, simple and affordable.

It's currently being 3D printed by Shapeways.com out of stainless steel. I'm getting one in about a week or test and if it passes muster I'll offer it up for sale on Shapeways. Not looking to really make a profit on this. I just want to provide a service to the community. And because I think these screws are stupid. I will keep everyone posted.

-Jim

socket tesla.JPG
socket tesla back.JPG

That looks great, Jim. Would you be willing to share the file so people can try on their own 3D printers at home? While you'd obviously want a metal tool, the reports seem to indicate the bolts are not torqued in very tightly and it'd be interesting to see if a home printed plastic tool would work (perhaps with 100% infill).

Totally understand if you'd rather keep the file to,yourself given the effort but I thought I'd ask.

So, thanks to Btrflyl8e who was gracious enough to send me a sample screw, I've designed simple little socket adapter that will remove these screws. The socket design has a recess for the wacko 5-lobed security screw and a 1/4 inch recess on the other side that will fit onto a 1/4 inch drive ratchet or Allen wrench or nut driver. I tried to keep it small, simple and affordable.

It's currently being 3D printed by Shapeways.com out of stainless steel. I'm getting one in about a week or test and if it passes muster I'll offer it up for sale on Shapeways. Not looking to really make a profit on this. I just want to provide a service to the community. And because I think these screws are stupid. I will keep everyone posted.

-Jim

View attachment 181422 View attachment 181423

Thanks for doing this. Put me on the list to purchase as soon as it becomes available.

-Jim

View attachment 181422 View attachment 181423
Please let me know when I can also get one of these,

That looks great, Jim. Would you be willing to share the file so people can try on their own 3D printers at home? While you'd obviously want a metal tool, the reports seem to indicate the bolts are not torqued in very tightly and it'd be interesting to see if a home printed plastic tool would work (perhaps with 100% infill).

Totally understand if you'd rather keep the file to,yourself given the effort but I thought I'd ask.

I have no problem sharing the file once I receive my first piece and test it. I'd rather not give out the file until I'm sure it works as I believe it will.

Hopefully this works. I'm wanting to remove my front plate holder but I want to make sure I remove it in a non-destructive way.

Honestly, the bracket screws are the easy part. The gunk holding the bracket to the nose has the potential to cause the destruction as the adhesive is quite thick and strong, and is glued along the entire length of the plate as well as 25% down each side.

Not sure why people are still going down blind alleys (gator grip) and custom fabricating tools for this...it's much, much simpler than that:

Definitive S Refresh Front Plate Bracket Removal

In fact, if I could amend my original post I would add that you could probably unscrew the security bolts using just your fingers; they are not torqued very tightly at all.

Reactions: NikeWings
Not sure why people are still going down blind alleys (gator grip) and custom fabricating tools for this...it's much, much simpler than that:

Definitive S Refresh Front Plate Bracket Removal

In fact, if I could amend my original post I would add that you could probably unscrew the security bolts using just your fingers; they are not torqued very tightly at all.

ZDS........I too used the same pliers for 2 simple turns and easily unscrewed them off with my fingers. The glue however took a little maneuvering with a string to cut through it and release the plate bracket from the nose.

I've completed the socket and it's available for sale on my Shapeways site.

Tesla License Plate Socket Adapter by SlippinJimmie on Shapeways

There are two versions. Stainless for $14 and Plastic for $4. Some people have said their screws were really loosely torqued so the plastic MIGHT be fine. But I'm not guaranteeing that. The stainless version should handle even the more tightly torqued screws. All you need is a 1/4" Allen wrench to slip the socket onto.

socket tesla.JPG

I've completed the socket and it's available for sale on my Shapeways site.

Tesla License Plate Socket Adapter by SlippinJimmie on Shapeways

There are two versions. Stainless for $14 and Plastic for $4. Some people have said their screws were really loosely torqued so the plastic MIGHT be fine. But I'm not guaranteeing that. The stainless version should handle even the more tightly torqued screws. All you need is a 1/4" Allen wrench to slip the socket onto.

View attachment 182630

I ordered this adapter in stainless steel and used it last weekend on my new MS60. I erroneously thought that it would fit on a socket wrench, but after closer inspection I found that it fits on a 1/4 inch Allen wrench which I didn't have available. Fortunately I was able to borrow one from one of my neighbors and it worked great. I bought the adapter because I did not want to damage the bolts trying to remove them just in case I need to put the plate back on in the future.

Reactions: Reekdog