Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors, NEW batch for 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,
I have been making Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors since 2015. We have 85 cars on the road with these rotors with drivers reporting shorter stopping distances and better braking response. Here is a quick overview of the product I have been making:

Quick Spec's of the custom 2 piece rotor we're making:

a) 2 piece design - Aluminum Nickel plated inner hat with cast steel outer rotor ring.
*Allows for even heat distribution across the steel brake rotor disc. Less chance of warping.
*Inner aluminum hat reduces weight, at the wheel its called "unsprung" weight. Benefits include quicker acceleration, quicker braking, and quicker response from the suspension.
b) Slotted brake rotor / disc
*This helps clean the brake pad by scraping it of foreign particles / debris.
c) Metal treatment to prevent corrosion
*The inner aluminum hat will be coated with a nickel plating
*The outer steel brake disc will have two metal treatments performed. The first will be using a process called FNC which is the same metal treatment process that Chevy uses on the Volt to prevent rust on the discs. The second will be a black oxide coating, this gives a black / anodized look to the rotor and also protects it from corrosion. Both these treatments have shown to help improve performance of braking under wet conditions/rain. The FNC is a stronger treatment than the black oxide.
d) The inner aluminum hat will be coupled to the steel rotor using a total of eight 5/16" (grade 5) fasteners. These fasteners will be safety wired tied.

Here are the previous threads about the rotors for background:
Custom Aluminum Rotors - A possibility
Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

To make these I need to have 20 owners committed since it's so much upfront cash to make a batch. At this time I am starting a list for the next batch that I am planning getting started in the first quarter of 2019.

If you are interested, please e-mail me([email protected]) the following info so I can start to create a new list:
1) Name
2) Mailing / Delivery Address
3) Phone / Contact Number
4) Email Address
5) Would you like G-Loc brake pads? [Yes/No] If Yes, R-6 or GS-1 compound.

Please post on this thread to keep bumping it up so we can get these going as soon as possible.
Tesla rotors plated.JPG
Tesla Roadster rotors, assembled.JPG

I am working on pricing at this time. Since I can't give a firm production date for a start it's hard to know what material cost will be. The current trade war has caused the US made materials we use to go up by 50% over the past 6 month which has been unrelated to changes in materiel cost, tariff or supply...just US companies charging more because they can. At this time the sets will cost $1750 to produce with the same US made material we have been using for the past 15 years. It would be great if I could say for sure I can guarantee the price but if there next round of tariffs go in place the first of 2019 I can only assume prices will rise again. The real world effect of US national trade negotiations.

Please let me know your thoughts about this product, all the buyers have been happy with what has been delivered in both quality and increased performance. I won't make a lower quality product to cut cost since peoples safety is at stake, but I'm not sure how much folks are will to pay for this upgrade?

Hello folks,
I finally have confirmation for pricing if we can get the order in place in December and cost are not as bad as it was I feared. Rotor sets will be $1725 set of 4. Brake pads will be $320 for a set of 4 wheels. I am pretty happy the price increase can be small, the first one I have needed to make since we started the project 3 years ago. So far I have found ways to keep cost down by increased efficiency and volume. The key will be get $ in on everything in December so we can secure pricing and manufacturing time. Another benefit of this is I think we can shorten the 3 month lead time to under 2 months so shoot for delivery in January 2019!

Please keep emailing me if you want to get involved, at this time my plan is to make 15 sets rather than the 25-30 sets we have done in the past.

Thank you to everyone who has contacted me, looks like 7 or 8 of the sets are spoken for! Only having to increase the price by 5% over 3 years is pretty cool, I’m very glad the numbers worked out this well and we can keep these in production.

PM or email so we can get you on the list, the January 2019 ship date still looks reaslistic.

Dave

hello, how much weight has a brake disc with bell (310 and 300) Sincerely

Front rotor weighs 10.6LB. for CRF 2 piece, 12LB. for OEM = 2.8LB. weight savings on the front.
Rear rotor weights 13.6LB. for CRF 2 piece, 14.6LB. for OEM = 2LB. weight savings on the front.

Total weight savings 4.8LB. for the car, this is un-sprung weight as well as rotating mass so noticeable in your cars' performance.

Front rotor weighs 10.6LB. for CRF 2 piece, 12LB. for OEM = 2.8LB. weight savings on the front.
Rear rotor weights 13.6LB. for CRF 2 piece, 14.6LB. for OEM = 2LB. weight savings on the rear.

Total weight savings 4.8LB. for the car, this is un-sprung weight as well as rotating mass so noticeable in your cars' performance.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
This batch keeps moving forward. Aluminum hats will be ready for plating in 2 weeks. We are drilling 900+ socket head bolts for safety wire and the rotors are getting cast and machined. January delivery still looks good so please PM or email me if you want to get in on this batch, there are still 8 set available and you can go into 2019 safer than ever.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Dave
[email protected]

Hi everyone, It's CYBER MONDAY and Cedar Ridge Fabrication is offering a special price if you want get involved with this batch of rotors TODAY, November 26, 2018. Here is the deal:L

Set of 4 rotors AND brake pads, either GS-1 or R-6 for $2000...this is a $45 discount for the same great parts. We are still on schedule for having rotors ready to ship in January 2019.

PM if you have questions or just PP me '[email protected]'

Thanks as always,
Dave

Thanks for the e-mail Mike. I am still honoring the CYBER MONDAY $2000 package for set paid before the end of the day, Nov 30, 2018. 2 folks have taken advantage of the deal so I guess it's working to help those on the fence decide to get safer brakes for 2019!

Thanks to everyone for the support!
Dave

Thank you to the folks who have come forward and made payments over the weekend. Glad to have so many on board. There are still 5 set in process that are not spoken for and we are still on the January 2019 delivery schedule...fingers crossed everything goes smoothly!

Dave

This never happens, but I was informed this morning the friction discs were finished a week ahead of schedule! There will ship tomorrow for blacktride rust resistant treatment in Nevada. I'm excited that things are coming together, hopefully things keep falling our way! I'll keep everyone updated as parts progress...January 2019 is still looking good for shipping!

There are still 4 sets of rotors in the batch that have not been spoken for, and few more awaiting payment. There are only 15 set in this batch so I expect they will all be pre-sold before they are finished. Please get in touch if you want to upgrade the braking on your Roadster.

Thanks for the ongoing support!
Dave