Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors, NEW batch for 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there is another rotor option for replacing the Roadster's horrendous brakes, now that it looks like titaniumdave has gone through his latest batch? I was late to the game on this and would like to get good brakes on #0861 sooner rather than later.

It helps a LOT that custom rotors don't rust like the OEM ones do. This is especially noticeable when taking the car out on nice summer day after the car was washed the day before. That first stop... oy. It takes a heartbeat or two before the pads scrape the rust off and start to grip.

If your heart is still beating after that, the car will stop.

• Funny
Reactions: drewski and hcsharp
It helps a LOT that custom rotors don't rust like the OEM ones do. This is especially noticeable when taking the car out on nice summer day after the car was washed the day before. That first stop... oy. It takes a heartbeat or two before the pads scrape the rust off and start to grip.

If your heart is still beating after that, the car will stop.

how far does the coating / treatment process penetrate the rotor? i'm not a metalugist, so unclear if after a few hundred miles, the exposed part (rubbed off from the pads) will rust as rapidly or if these will resist rust for the duration of rotor ownership.

When I bought my 913 two years ago the rotors were covered with rust. I immediately replaced the pads with EBC Yellowstuff. These are street/drift/race pads which do not require heat buildup to work. After 500 miles the noise was gone along with the rust. I haven't seen any rust since, and I have no complaints about the stopping power. EBC claims a 30% improvement. I've been using EBC Yellowstuff on my 76 Jaguar for years. Love them.

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
Does anyone know if there is another rotor option for replacing the Roadster's horrendous brakes, now that it looks like titaniumdave has gone through his latest batch? I was late to the game on this and would like to get good brakes on #0861 sooner rather than later.
More aggressive pads will make a huge difference. I would look into the Carbotech or EBC pads.

I also put rear rotors on the front. The rears are 310mm as opposed to 300mm in the front. This will increase the brake torque as it moves the caliper further away from center. The 308mm rotors that MLAUTO references above will do the same... not a huge difference between 308 and 310. But as stated above, you will need to move the caliper out with some spacers. I did a write up on this in a different thread.

I have not driven a Roadster with TiDave's rotors, but my 310's and AX6 pads on all 4 corners... it stops RIGHT NOW. I am actually considering the 1421 pads, as the AX6's seem a bit "grabby".

I would suggest trying the AX6 (or equivalent) pads first and see if you need more braking power after that.

Pardon my ignorance and general lack of searching, but on the last 13(?) cars didn't they have early model S brakes on them?

Does anyone have this information or own one of the cars? I'm curious before I go buy calipers and start playing around.

Pardon my ignorance and general lack of searching, but on the last 13(?) cars didn't they have early model S brakes on them?

Does anyone have this information or own one of the cars? I'm curious before I go buy calipers and start playing around.

I can confirm the brakes are identical to all other stock 2.5 Sports on my #1462. I have also seen two other cars of the last 13 up close, and they did not have custom brakes either.
Out of curiosity, where did you hear this rumor?

I can confirm the brakes are identical to all other stock 2.5 Sports on my #1462. I have also seen two other cars of the last 13 up close, and they did not have custom brakes either.
Out of curiosity, where did you hear this rumor?

My apologies, I may be confusing the number of cars with the early Model S system.
I will dig the source up and post, i could have sworn it was around the time the teacup car was posted that someone with far more roadster knowledge than I stated that there was a model S system fitted by tesla to the roadster.

I'll play with the calipers in short order and report back.

My apologies, I may be confusing the number of cars with the early Model S system.
I will dig the source up and post, i could have sworn it was around the time the teacup car was posted that someone with far more roadster knowledge than I stated that there was a model S system fitted by tesla to the roadster.

I'll play with the calipers in short order and report back.

it may have been an experimental thing as a possible upgrade that just was prototypes -- like the cf front lip with foglights for 1.5 and early 2.0 front bumpers.

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it

Attachments

• C35977B6-0CD7-4785-9105-82FC4E472619.jpeg
    C35977B6-0CD7-4785-9105-82FC4E472619.jpeg
    460.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 929972FB-77E7-46C7-8CD7-5C62546AC6AE.jpeg
    929972FB-77E7-46C7-8CD7-5C62546AC6AE.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Helpful
Looks really good; I like it, does this go on the accelerator pedal as well or you are only applying it to the brake?

Why did you install this product?

Lotus Elise clutch and brake pedal parts. No accelerator. Even if I thought that the pedal was pushed all the way to the floor, I couldn't get used to the feeling that I would step further into the back.

Lotus Elise accelerator pedal 3D printer creation

Attachments

• 4F296CCF-3D89-4DC8-A719-1216FAE9C64C.png
    4F296CCF-3D89-4DC8-A719-1216FAE9C64C.png
    842.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 04DFEDA6-E9AF-4BC5-B814-B128D582ADA0.png
    04DFEDA6-E9AF-4BC5-B814-B128D582ADA0.png
    474 KB · Views: 52
  • FF2D0189-5ADA-4208-BC1F-DDA52E1C4118.png
    FF2D0189-5ADA-4208-BC1F-DDA52E1C4118.png
    935.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Love
Wonder how close they are to @titaniumdave’s creation and hardwork(R&D), then marked up beyond his pricing?

I will never understand the fascination with that shop and I suspect many others will find things out in coming years that too may change their opinion.

In the product description, it's clearly stated that they are @titaniumdave's rotors. I'm assuming Carl put in for multiple sets during the last group buy and helped make it happen.

Reactions: DeedWest