Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom tuning of ambient light color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteelClouds

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2021
CA
I picked up a set of extra bright OzbiumX LEDs for a couple of reasons.. pig tails.. special LEDs for the foot well and good quality. I got them in white because I wanted white light for the doors but I really didnt want uber bright white in the footwells. I used to be a professional photographer some years ago and still have all my gear. I went and dug out some lighting gels and plan to mix and match gels tonight to get the exact shade and brightness of LED lighting in the car. Simple enough to do, cut some gel a bit oversize and use clear packing tape to place it over the LED lights. The tape is fairly easy to remove so I will adjust and when I have it the shade, I will cut the gels to the correct size and use double stick tape I got for some LCD screen repair to mount to the LED and not my cover panels. These gels come in all colors and typically come in 1/4, 1/2 and full "cut". There are neutral density gels that will knock down the intensity without changing the color. So you can get pretty creative with color and just how bright you want it.

This is the master lighting kit I have ( two actually).. this way overkill but like I said, this was my profession at the time. You can get sample packs for cheap or maybe used partial sheets from studios. The sample kit has just enough in each sample to cover two LED lights. The full sheets are cheaper if you can get singles somewhere. There cheap colored gels also that are not "photographic" :) I'll put some pictures up when I get it done.

Rosco Cinegel Swatchbook

So I ended up with Lee 200 or Double CTB ( Color Temperature Blue) - gives a nice dark blue to the ambient lighting in the footwells
I have pictures here of the LED light, the filter, what the brightness is without a filter and then in the footwell with the CBT filter taped over the LED

These filters give you the option of having different colors in different places or changing them very easily when bored with one color :). This assumes you start with white LEDs.

Attachments

• IMG_3021.jpeg
    IMG_3021.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3026.jpeg
    IMG_3026.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3025.jpeg
    IMG_3025.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3028.jpeg
    IMG_3028.jpeg