Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom USB splitter solution for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, just came across this thread. could you possibly send me one of those PMs too? Have 2 in my cart, ready to click the button :)

FWIW, I also agree with @Knightshade on the earlier point in this thread, in that its awesome to support a member who made a quality product like this. I already have the nomad, and have a hub in there for dashcam, but have been somewhat disappointed with the slow wireless charging.

Thanks in advance, I am sure these are exactly what I am looking for.
Hi @jjrandorin and thanks a lot for support!
Just sent you a PM. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
New coupon batch:
KC9G-PV3D32-FLJRA4
KCET-PKSB7V-8BUDAQ
KCQN-LSPR25-TWH6A8
KCCF-8RF4HR-AH5BAM
KCFE-CD4ZFE-CY2RAZ
KCST-FC3TKS-GFQJAH
KCW6-GKBG6X-XL7JA2
KCKL-QDKPPT-7FVQAG
KC8C-6RWLLU-VMJKAX
KC3H-Y5LQ2C-Z7QMAY

I would greatly appreciate it if the existing users would take a moment to rate the product or write a short review on Amazon :)
Thanks.

New coupon batch:
KC9G-PV3D32-FLJRA4
KCET-PKSB7V-8BUDAQ
KCQN-LSPR25-TWH6A8
KCCF-8RF4HR-AH5BAM
KCFE-CD4ZFE-CY2RAZ
KCST-FC3TKS-GFQJAH
KCW6-GKBG6X-XL7JA2
KCKL-QDKPPT-7FVQAG
KC8C-6RWLLU-VMJKAX
KC3H-Y5LQ2C-Z7QMAY

I would greatly appreciate it if the existing users would take a moment to rate the product or write a short review on Amazon :)
Thanks.

Will do.. just got mine today and very happy with the build quality of it. Having 2 in the ports of the model 3 is no issue (it appears to me you must have measured / accounted for it in the case design.

Very nice product, and will say so on amazon as well.

Reactions: Navak and dmurphy
New coupon batch:
KC9G-PV3D32-FLJRA4
KCET-PKSB7V-8BUDAQ
KCQN-LSPR25-TWH6A8
KCCF-8RF4HR-AH5BAM
KCFE-CD4ZFE-CY2RAZ
KCST-FC3TKS-GFQJAH
KCW6-GKBG6X-XL7JA2
KCKL-QDKPPT-7FVQAG
KC8C-6RWLLU-VMJKAX
KC3H-Y5LQ2C-Z7QMAY

Thanks.
Thanks. Just ordered one with a code. Looking forward to getting it installed. My wife was complaining how her phone wasn’t charging with the splitter I used for the dash cam/sentry memory drive.

Reactions: Navak
Thanks for a great product!

To be clear, I will need two if I want both sides of my wireless charging pad to charge my iPhone(s) at 7.5W?

Based on feedback from this thread, it seems that plugging the pad directly into the car's USB port would give me 5W only, and the Navak will actually boost the amperage sent to the pad. Is this accurate?

To be clear, I will need two if I want both sides of my wireless charging pad to charge my iPhone(s) at 7.5W?
Yes
Based on feedback from this thread, it seems that plugging the pad directly into the car's USB port would give me 5W only, and the Navak will actually boost the amperage sent to the pad. Is this accurate?
Plugging directly into the USB port (NO splitter) gives the maximum power output available.

The Navak does not BOOST the power, it just does a better job* of splitting the power from the data, directing more of the power to the Qi charging. It can't provide more power that what the USB is putting out It doesn't have a power supply.
*Than conventional Y-Cables such as the ones that come with the Taptes charging pad.

Yes

Plugging directly into the USB port (NO splitter) gives the maximum power output available.

The Navak does not BOOST the power, it just does a better job* of splitting the power from the data, directing more of the power to the Qi charging. It can't provide more power that what the USB is putting out It doesn't have a power supply.
*Than conventional Y-Cables such as the ones that come with the Taptes charging pad.

Thanks for the response.

Sorry, I understand that the Navak does not literally/technically "boost" the power, I was just using that as a way to describe the effect. A previous poster in this thread (quoted below) implied that plugging the charging pad directly into the Tesla's USB port would only pull 1amp.

This is where my confusion lies: does the Navak's smart chip allow the charging pad to pull a higher amperage than it would on its own?

Therefore, if what you're saying is true ("Plugging directly into the USB port (NO splitter) gives the maximum power output available.") then I do not need two Navaks to have both sides of my wireless charging pad charging at 7.5W. I would plug one side directly into the car's USB port, and the other side into the Power side of the Navak, leaving one final slot for my dashcam drive.

If I plug the TapTes directly into the USB port (without their included splitter, or the Navak splitter) will I get the full 2.1A?

No. Because the default "dumb" power default is 1A max. The chip in the Navak one can negotiate via the USB protocol to allow higher currents.

Thanks for the response.

Sorry, I understand that the Navak does not literally/technically "boost" the power, I was just using that as a way to describe the effect. A previous poster in this thread (quoted below) implied that plugging the charging pad directly into the Tesla's USB port would only pull 1amp.
The one thing I stayed away from was actual numbers, because I don't what they are (other than the 7.5 watt max that the iPhone can accept). It has been discussed elsewhere in these forums, though I don't remember where.
This is where my confusion lies: does the Navak's smart chip allow the charging pad to pull a higher amperage than it would on its own?
The Navak doesn't/can't allow a charging pad to pull a higher amperage than plugging the charging pad straight into the USB. The only trick it does is allow more power through the charging output vs. other Y-splitters
Therefore, if what you're saying is true ("Plugging directly into the USB port (NO splitter) gives the maximum power output available.") then I do not need two Navaks to have both sides of my wireless charging pad charging at 7.5W. I would plug one side directly into the car's USB port, and the other side into the Power side of the Navak, leaving one final slot for my dashcam drive.
Sorry - I erroneously made the assumption you had two USB devices plugged in (I separate my music on one flash drive and cam footage on the other). If you only have one, then you are correct
that only one Navak is required. Sorry for not making that delineation.

The one thing I stayed away from was actual numbers, because I don't what they are (other than the 7.5 watt max that the iPhone can accept). It has been discussed elsewhere in these forums, though I don't remember where.
The Navak doesn't/can't allow a charging pad to pull a higher amperage than plugging the charging pad straight into the USB. The only trick it does is allow more power through the charging output vs. other Y-splitters

Sorry - I erroneously made the assumption you had two USB devices plugged in (I separate my music on one flash drive and cam footage on the other). If you only have one, then you are correct
that only one Navak is required. Sorry for not making that delineation.

Gotcha! Thanks very much for the clarification. It didn't make too much sense to me either that having pad plugged into the Navak would draw more power than without. Appreciate your input. Looks like all I need is one Navak for now.

Reactions: Kevy Baby