Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom USB splitter solution for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought two... don't really need em (currently using dashcam key plugged direct into port 1, and a cheap ANKER 4-port hub into port 2 supporting music USB key and both phone charging cables- all works 100% though phones charge a little slow- not enough to matter).

But on the other hand we've got a forum member who saw a problem, built what looks like a high quality compact solution, and is even offering a discount on it.... supporting that kinda thing seems like a good idea long term.

And in theory it'll clean up the inside of the console a bit compared to having the hub in there, and charge phones faster the rare times I need to charge in the car.

Getting a slow charging for my verizon hotspot for my blackvue dashcam. I think the t5 sad is working fine tho. Will see if it retains the charge for hotspot. Either way works for now

Attachments

• 15768067271797271693861118885170.jpg
    15768067271797271693861118885170.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 15768069235283847735559466479161.jpg
    15768069235283847735559466479161.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 135
Just bought two... don't really need em (currently using dashcam key plugged direct into port 1, and a cheap ANKER 4-port hub into port 2 supporting music USB key and both phone charging cables- all works 100% though phones charge a little slow- not enough to matter).

But on the other hand we've got a forum member who saw a problem, built what looks like a high quality compact solution, and is even offering a discount on it.... supporting that kinda thing seems like a good idea long term.

And in theory it'll clean up the inside of the console a bit compared to having the hub in there, and charge phones faster the rare times I need to charge in the car.
Knightshade thanks a lot!

Getting a slow charging for my verizon hotspot for my blackvue dashcam. I think the t5 sad is working fine tho. Will see if it retains the charge for hotspot. Either way works for now
Hi, thank you for your feedback. My guess is that Verizon hotspot uses QC2.0 standart or some other charging protocol that is not standard for the phones. The picture below shows the standards that Navak splitter support. Those limitations comes from Tesla USB port maximum output current.
Navak_hub_m3.jpg

Navak,
Not an electrical engineer so can you explain the advantage of your device over say the splitter cables than come with the Taptes wireless pad? Mostly in terms of wireless charging.
Hi T3sladoc,

Thank you for your question. Im not sure what cable Taptes wireless charger comes with but I can give you an example for regular Y-cable (like this one: http://amzn.com/B01KX4TKH6) vs Navak splitter.
In general USB devices/USB chargers are negotiating maximum charging current (for example: USB DCP) using D+ and D- lines. If the negotiation fails, USB standard limits the output current to 500mA (even if you have 2.5A power supply).
The first pictures below shows charging protocols supported by Y-cable (power only output) and the second pictures shows charging protocols that Navak splitter supports. (same USB outlet used on both tests)

Navak splitter has dedicated charging port controller on "CHARGER" port, which takes care of current negotiation part.
Model 3 front USB ports are capable of outputting up to 2.5A current but without proper current negotiation the charging current will be limited to 500mA.

Short version: Using the Y-cable power output charging current is limited to 500mA .Using Navak splitter "CHARGER" output will get 2.1A on Apple devices, 2A on Samsung devices and 1.5A on other devices that supports USB DCP.
Y_cable.jpg Navak_hub_m3.jpg

• Love
Reactions: MikeBur
Hi all,

I did some testing with Samsung T5 SSD (1TB) and wanted to share it.

Fist I would like to note that Tesla Model 3 front USB ports are USB 2.0 (see the connector picture below). Samsung T5 on a USB 2.0 port averages around 40MB/s write speed and consumes around 250mA . While idling it uses around 32mA.
I can confirmed that it works with Navak Splitter since Data port can output up to 400mA
.View attachment 489770 View attachment 489771 View attachment 489773 View attachment 489777

thanks for checking and the promo code. ordered one!

Reactions: Navak
https://amzn.com/B07Z2KQ719

15% off coupons for the forum members:

NDDR-QRZLTX-GA38AU
ND4N-VBF63L-ZNLYAR
ND2Z-88VCU7-78WZA3
NDPK-N7SAU6-CTLZAG
NDMQ-8EFTVL-H43KAM
NDDL-4LGJMR-PQAJAJ
NDAQ-JTW8RC-LFJ3AJ
NDBL-FWEKRV-QSL5A3
ND8G-M8NXJX-NJE2AZ
ND9J-QPFARM-2ZYTAZ
NDCP-8D7S2B-JFK8AP
NDP6-UJYSX2-UCMCA8
NDFZ-EC7D66-SLQHAW
NDXZ-KZ54Q2-3FWPAC
ND74-H3H2HA-7GYWAQ
ND78-ZNTCBE-6MVTAF
NDWK-TWHX2U-WPCXAC
NDSH-NNCGJX-D5KQAE
ND6J-T439EB-VX2AA4
NDRK-MYEP2T-4B7SAX

when you check out, enter the promotional code and click the Apply button.

Do these codes only work for amazon.com? Anything for amazon.ca?

Will this allow the wireless chargers (like TapTes Gen 2) to charge an iphone at 7.5W?
Hi,

I can confirm that TapTes Gen 2 charger with Navak USB splitter can charge iPhone at 7.5W. See the picture below.

Also, same test with the Tesla original wireless charger and Navak splitter gave the same result. I was able charge the iPhone at 7.5W.

Taptes_iphone_test.jpg

Hi,

I can confirm that TapTes Gen 2 charger with Navak USB splitter can charge iPhone at 7.5W. See the picture below.

Also, same test with the Tesla original wireless charger and Navak splitter gave the same result. I was able charge the iPhone at 7.5W.

Silly question - on iPhone, how do you see the charging rate? I know my Nomad is “faster” with the Navak splitter but haven’t been able to quantify the rate.

FWIW I got my two navak splitters yesterday... installed em just a few minutes ago... they look like nice high quality pieces...

I removed the Anker USB hub, and now I'm running:

Left port: 1 wired OEM tesla iphone charging cable/1 Samsung 128GB FIT Plus USB key for dashcam
Right port: 1 wired OEM tesla iphone charging cabel/1 Samsung 256GB BAR Plus USB key for music

All appears to work well, and (in theory- I don't have an inline usb multimeter to check) Ill be getting roughly 2.3x faster phone charging too (2.1 amps per phone versus the 0.9 amps per hub port)

Reactions: Navak