Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom utility trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been scouring Pinterest and other sites for something that matches what I want for a trailer to tow behind my Model Y. I’ve found trailers with various aspects of what I want, but none that pull everything together into a single trailer. Here’s what I’m looking for:
  1. Smallish utility trailer (4x8 or 5x8)
  2. Ramp
  3. Side rails maybe 18 inches high or so
  4. A top “cage” that covers the entire trailer with it’s own side rails maybe 4-6 inches high and can be locked down to prevent theft of the trailer’s contents
  5. I want the top to be on some type of lift so that it can be raised to a height that allows me to use the trailer to haul my riding mower to the shop
  6. A bonus would be if the trailer could fit the same 19-inch tires as the car so that a spare tire mounted on the tongue could fit the trailer or the car
I realize I’m looking for a lot, but it doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility. Basically, I want a trailer that is perfect for hauling lumber, vacation cargo, tailgating gear, or a riding mower or other taller items. Can anyone point me to a forum where I might find something like this or a group of people who build out custom utility trailers? Basically, I want something like this, but with a cage/rack top rather than a camper/tent and a LOT less expensive.

I don’t know of anything hat matches that off the top of my head.

I would suggest finding a local trailer reseller in your area and seeing what options they have available. The most difficult of your wishes is likely the matching wheels to your tow vehicle. When I purchased an enclosed trailer to haul my Ariel Atom, I worked with a local company that ordered the exact configuration I wanted from their options. It only took about 6 weeks for the manufacturer to build and deliver the desired trailer. When it arrived, I spent and afternoon with a friend to add tie-down brackets mounted through the trailer’s frame instead of just through the plywood floor.

Places like Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Atwood’s and the other big box stores will just have set configurations of utility trailers that they carry.