Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Weather Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, this is a nice addition to the custom Tesla library. I find the radar to be too wide a pano -- a shot that covers Maine to Maryland doesn't help me see particular driving conditions. Could you please either zoom in by default or provide a control to allow users to change the zoom level?

Thanks!

Agreed, this is a nice addition to the custom Tesla library. I find the radar to be too wide a pano -- a shot that covers Maine to Maryland doesn't help me see particular driving conditions. Could you please either zoom in by default or provide a control to allow users to change the zoom level?

Thanks!

Well, this one was a challenge! I know nothing about javascript, but stackoverflow.com to the rescue!

I've updated the site so it should automatically load a "metro" radar view. The two buttons on the lower right-hand corner of radar view can be used to toggle between a metro view and an area view. I totally copy-pasted the javascript, and then tweaked it to hell, so I hope it is stable. Let me know if anyone has any issues!

How about letting us use this in Canada?
Thanks

The text file that contains all the Zip Code/Lat/Long info for the US is 1.1 MB. For Canada, it's 31.5 MB. Toronto, for example, has 19,210 Postal Codes. (This is according to the database file I'm using, which is actually a crowd sourced document because it seems Canada Post doesn't make freely available a database of postal codes.)

I've got to figure out a way to search thru the Canadian file quickly and easily. Currently debating on just loading the whole darn thing into a MySQL database.

Stay patient, though! I am working on a Canadian version!

The text file that contains all the Zip Code/Lat/Long info for the US is 1.1 MB. For Canada, it's 31.5 MB. Toronto, for example, has 19,210 Postal Codes. (This is according to the database file I'm using, which is actually a crowd sourced document because it seems Canada Post doesn't make freely available a database of postal codes.)

I've got to figure out a way to search thru the Canadian file quickly and easily. Currently debating on just loading the whole darn thing into a MySQL database.

Stay patient, though! I am working on a Canadian version!
Thanks, if you can do it we'd appreciate it!

Not working with ZIP 33432 - getting a timeout/page was reset error.

Boca's weather report is causing the script to crash. My wife had an emergency C-Section on Saturday (mom and baby doing excellent), so it might be a few days before I can dive in and fix the code. I've disabled Boca's reporting station for now, should work temporarily using weather from Pompano Beach.

Okay, so as I started fixing the page, it became evident that a complete re-write was necessary. While doing so, I fixed/added a few features, so here's what's new:

1) Support for Canada!! Weather reporting should work for most, if not all of, Canada. There are two things that will probably give odd results. First is the radar image (I have not found a reliable, easy-to-use source for Canadian NEXRAD images). Secondly, I have not found a way to provide time zone support, so sunrise/sunset and "Last Refresh" times will probably not be reliable. The Canadian Post has the opinion that Canadian Post Codes are their intellectual property, and so databases are hard to come by. I'll be on the lookout for ways to improve Canadian support, but at least the weather should be correct.

2) I've added a "Region" radar view. There are now three radar views: Metro, Region, and Area. Some users had reported that the "Metro" view did not cover their area, but the Region view should handle that.

3) I've noticed that when I get in the car, refreshing the page is necessary, but difficult (someone else also pointed this out). If you're frustrated trying to land your finger on the little refresh button in the address bar of the browser, you'll be happy to know that I've made the entire panel with the textual weather a refresh button. Simply tap the panel and the page should refresh! Once refreshed after starting the car, the browser should refresh every five minutes (the time span of a Metro and Region radar update).

As usual, if anyone has any suggestions, just let me know!!

Way cool!. Using my zip gives:

Metro = Denver
data = town 40 miles south of me
Region = centered on 40 miles north
Area = WY (most) CO (all) plus parts surrounding

all with looping radar! Now if I pair my iPod_Touch to the car I might get this going on WiFi somewhere like MCD or BK. Did you godaddy this site new or?? Thanx for creating this. :love:
--

Very awesome. Love the looping radar. Here's a shot of it in my car.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363649779723.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363649779723.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 315
Way cool!. Using my zip gives:

Metro = Denver
data = town 40 miles south of me
Region = centered on 40 miles north
Area = WY (most) CO (all) plus parts surrounding

all with looping radar! Now if I pair my iPod_Touch to the car I might get this going on WiFi somewhere like MCD or BK. Did you godaddy this site new or?? Thanx for creating this. :love:
--

GoDaddy'd it new. It's pretty cheap to register/host a domain these days, and it's easier to remember "teslaweather" than directing people to my personal site with a stupid long address.

I had a lot of fun coding it. It's been awhile since I did any major php/html projects, and this certainly helped knock off some of the dust!

Glad to hear everyone is enjoying it!!

Thanks!

One more suggestion: it's a bit dicey trying to hit the Metro, Region and Area buttons in a moving vehicle. No need to cover up more screen real estate with the buttons, just make the underlying target areas larger.

Thanks!

One more suggestion: it's a bit dicey trying to hit the Metro, Region and Area buttons in a moving vehicle. No need to cover up more screen real estate with the buttons, just make the underlying target areas larger.

I agree. I tried to make the text an actual image so I could make it larger, but I could not for the life of me get it to work. I am a hack when it comes to javascript, and honestly have no idea what I'm doing. The solution I have now was basically me hammering at the code until I got it to work, but again, I couldn't get images to work. I've made the text a bit larger and centered it on the display. It should be easier to tap now.

Just noticed a bug...

The last refresh time is incorrect for Arizona zip codes. Appears to display MDT, not MST. Arizona does not use Daylight Saving Time (except for the Navajo reservation in NE AZ, which does follow it...).