Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom wheels on Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to get wheels+tires for winter, and looking for some wheels, which would fit these unusual Performance hubs. Apparently there are two options (other than the wheels, which are specially designed for that step on the hubs):
- wheels with 64.1 mm center bore - require 2.5-3 mm spacer;
- wheels with 70.1 mm center bore - require 3 mm hub rings.

Any thoughts on what would be better?

This has been discussed here, I recommend you check it out: Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3
Yes, I have scanned that thread, but it's too general, and I haven't found an answer to my question - could have missed in those 1700 messages, so I hoped someone could provide some feedback on this.
I've never had spacers or rings on my wheels, so don't really know if there are any drawbacks of either approach.

Hub centric rings would be the better option in my opinion. (Unless you want to push the wheels out slightly.)

Both options are perfectly safe if used correctly.

There are quite a few wheel manufacturers who have gotten on board with the performance wheels, so it’s highly plausible you won’t need either.

Personally, I'd recommend one of the aftermarket wheel manufacturers that produce wheels specifically for the Performance Model 3 and are designed for the hubs on this vehicle. This minimizes the chance of problems and avoids multiple pieces that you need to research for proper fit.

T-Sportline is my personal choice, there are several others.

Tesla Model 3 Aftermarket Wheels

I'm planning to get wheels+tires for winter, and looking for some wheels, which would fit these unusual Performance hubs. Apparently there are two options (other than the wheels, which are specially designed for that step on the hubs):
- wheels with 64.1 mm center bore - require 2.5-3 mm spacer;
- wheels with 70.1 mm center bore - require 3 mm hub rings.

Any thoughts on what would be better?

There are plenty of vendors at this point that sell wheels that fit.

If you don't want to go with one of them, then go overbore. You don't need hub rings. All hub rings do is help you mount the wheel, once it's on and lug-centric the hub ring isn't doing anything. A proper star torque pattern is more than sufficient to mount the wheel properly.

Hub centric rings would be the better option in my opinion. (Unless you want to push the wheels out slightly.)
Thanks.
I'm more inclined to this as well, because the rings don't carry any load.

Both options are perfectly safe if used correctly.
Agree.

There are quite a few wheel manufacturers who have gotten on board with the performance wheels, so it’s highly plausible you won’t need either.
Yes, but they are usually quite expensive. It's just a winter set - I don't want to spend too much on that.

Personally, I'd recommend one of the aftermarket wheel manufacturers that produce wheels specifically for the Performance Model 3 and are designed for the hubs on this vehicle. This minimizes the chance of problems and avoids multiple pieces that you need to research for proper fit.

T-Sportline is my personal choice, there are several others.
Agree, I was looking at T-Sportline as well - it'd be my default choice.
But it's a bit of an overkill for a winter-beater set. They are nice, I just cannot justify the price, which is 2.5x more than for a set I'm planning to get just to go to the mountains several times during the season.

There are plenty of vendors at this point that sell wheels that fit.
Any recommendation at US$550-600 for a set? I'm thinking about Replika R187 or R241, which are in this price range, and look nice - similar to Tesla or T-Sportline turbine-style wheels:

ReplikaR241-Space-Grey-B_lg_enlarge.jpg

If you don't want to go with one of them, then go overbore. You don't need hub rings. All hub rings do is help you mount the wheel, once it's on and lug-centric the hub ring isn't doing anything. A proper star torque pattern is more than sufficient to mount the wheel properly.
That's right, though without a center ring there is still a chance for the wheel to be slightly off, so I'd better not skip those.

My Discount tire will not touch a car with spacers or adapters on it.
That's weird. There are many custom wheels sold at the tire shops, which do require rings depending on the car model as it's just impossible to cover all combinations of the bolt patterns and hub sizes.

Just buy the right size wheels or a used set of OEM.
18" OEMs will not fit on Performance, will they?

That's a good but long video. I think he is using TSportline wheels which bolt on.
18" OEM will fit on the performance with a few mods.
There are two molding bosses on the rear caliper that interfere with the inside barrel of the 18" OEM wheel by about 1 or 2 mm.
They can be ground with no adverse affect and clear the barrel.
Then there is the step on the wheel hub that will not let the OEM 18" wheel bolt on all the way to the brake rotor (all 4 hubs) because the performance disc rotor hat is about 1/8 (3mm) thinner than the non performance rotor. You'll either need to get a small lip machined into the wheel or 3mm spacers.

The wheels I have (see sig) are forged so the barrel is much thinner and clears the rear caliper easily. I changed the wheels for the same reason he did but before I damaged the OEM 20" so I could sell them. I paid a little more than $2K for the forged wheels w/o tires and TPMS.

• Love
Reactions: ZapCarM3
That's weird. There are many custom wheels sold at the tire shops, which do require rings depending on the car model as it's just impossible to cover all combinations of the bolt patterns and hub sizes.

18" OEMs will not fit on Performance, will they?

"Require" hub rings is mostly marketing. I'm overbore by 7mm on my winter wheels (74mm bore) and dont use hub rings

If they are easily available and cheap might as well. But the only thing they do is help you center your wheel while mounting. They have no load bearing properties once lug nuts are on

Hub Centric Hubbub: The Argument For — and Against — Using Hub Centric Rings with Your Wheels - OnAllCylinders

"Require" hub rings is mostly marketing. I'm overbore by 7mm on my winter wheels (74mm bore) and dont use hub rings

If they are easily available and cheap might as well. But the only thing they do is help you center your wheel while mounting. They have no load bearing properties once lug nuts are on
You are absolutely right. They are not required, and most likely there won't be any issues without the rings. But they do make it easier for the wheel to be installed properly, and if they are correct size - they guarantee the wheel would not be off-center even slightly.