Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom wood trim, seat leather, and leather and wood steering wheel: adding pizzazz to the interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although a number of Model 3 owners are not pleased with the wood on the dash, I consider it an important design statement by Fritz and thus wanted to take it to another level. I think the wood used (ash) is pretty bland. But my biggest problem with the interior is that it is totally colorless -- IMHO black or white makes no difference, still colorless. So not only did I think that the wood was an opportunity to add a bit of color snap but also that changing the seat colors and door panel trim, and making a custom steering wheel to match would be a desirable set of steps.

So this was essentially a three step process:

1. Katzkins leather seats and door panel trim in complimentary colors. I chose Katzkin red and and oatmeal.

6bcfc97e-e751-40f7-b61f-9ed166168386-jpeg.13901

2. More colorful and patterned wood veneer, not only for the dash but for the console cover as well. I chose Makassar Ebony, which is a vibrant black and reddish brown grain color.

DSC_8247.jpg

3. A custom steering wheel that compliments the seat colors and wood trim.

DSC_8252.jpg

The wood veneer is prepared and ready to install and the steering wheel was delivered yesterday. The Katzkin seat leathers are at the shop now. All will be installed next week.

Next Monday afternoon, my Model 3, which will be delivered to me at 10 in the morning, goes to my favorite installer, Doug Pasini, at Automotive Concepts in Timonium, MD.

While I'm out of the country for 10 days he'll install the steering wheel, Katzkin seat leathers, dash cam and a bunch of other stuff. (If any Model 3 owners live in the Baltimore area, I highly recommend Doug and Automotive Concepts). Normally I'd do most of these things myself but I won't have the time before i leave on the trip, and as I'm very impatient, I want as much of this done by the time I return. Doug also has a good relationship with people at the Owings Mills Service Center, so if any problems come up he can consult with them.

I'm going to ask Doug to send photos as he does the work so I can post them from where I'll be overseas.