Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Customer Service [bad service center experience]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Colorado Springs Tesla Service center. I was so excited to finally have a Tesla service center here in Colorado Springs Colorado. It took me months to get in to get my 2018 Tesla model 32 motor in for its two year check up. Come to find out it will take them two days to do a check up and they do not have any cars to loan me. So they expect me to Uber to work and to do errands into meetings. I am totally disgusted with the customer service or lack there of buy Tesla overall very disappointing

Colorado Springs Tesla Service center. I was so excited to finally have a Tesla service center here in Colorado Springs Colorado. It took me months to get in to get my 2018 Tesla model 32 motor in for its two year check up. Come to find out it will take them two days to do a check up and they do not have any cars to loan me. So they expect me to Uber to work and to do errands into meetings. I am totally disgusted with the customer service or lack there of buy Tesla overall very disappointing
Sorry that your experience was bad. I do have to agree with you that the overall experience of buying my Model 3 was awful. There is so much Tesla does well but there is A LOT they do that is egregious. Other manufactures go above and beyond to get your business again but Tesla is a machine and doesn’t care a great deal about their customers. It could potentially be one of the reasons I never do business with them again. You’re not alone in this. You’ll read countless stories like yours.

There’s your problem. You brought it in for a 2 year check up? Why?

All they are going to do is sell you some overpriced wiper blades and fluid.

Raleigh, NC service center offered UBER credits (more than I could use) when they had my car for 8 hours. I might ask about it (and for people reading this in the future).

Raleigh, NC service center offered UBER credits (more than I could use) when they had my car for 8 hours. I might ask about it (and for people reading this in the future).

They offered this OP uber credits (its in their post).

Basically, they took the car in for non mandatory service (nothing broken, but a "checkup"), and did not attempt to verify before said appointment date / time that there would be loaner cars available, then was surprised and disappointed when there were no loaner cars available.

No brand "guarantees" loaner vehicles. They are normally provided depending on availability. If one requires a loaner car, then, especially if taking the car in for service that is not impacting the ability to use the vehicle, one should contact the service center and find out what is the process for ensuring they can get a loaner.

That might be scheduling your appointment at a specific date / time, like first thing in the morning on a monday, or it might be something else. I have been driving BMWs for roughly 15 years (new ones, leased every 3 years) and there are times I cant get a loaner from them either because they were out. BMW certainly doesnt offer anything else (like uber credits) if they dont have loaners.

Anyway, I certainly cant tell someone how to feel (and am not trying to) but I do find it somewhat amusing how some people that buy teslas act like they bought rolls royces or something.

Basically, they took the car in for non mandatory service (nothing broken, but a "checkup"), and did not attempt to verify before said appointment date / time that there would be loaner cars available, then was surprised and disappointed when there were no loaner cars available.

No brand "guarantees" loaner vehicles. They are normally provided depending on availability. If one requires a loaner car, then, especially if taking the car in for service that is not impacting the ability to use the vehicle, one should contact the service center and find out what is the process for ensuring they can get a loaner.

That might be scheduling your appointment at a specific date / time, like first thing in the morning on a monday, or it might be something else. I have been driving BMWs for roughly 15 years (new ones, leased every 3 years) and there are times I cant get a loaner from them either because they were out. BMW certainly doesnt offer anything else (like uber credits) if they dont have loaners.

Anyway, I certainly cant tell someone how to feel (and am not trying to) but I do find it somewhat amusing how some people that buy teslas act like they bought rolls royces or something.

No other brand I have owned will make an appointment for a scheduled checkup and take 2 days to do it. That's the point of an appointment. The excuses some come up with will never put pressure on Tesla to make improvements. The service is actually recommend when 2018 was purchased. Just changing it in the embedded manual doesn't change that fact.

Name a luxury brand that will keep your vehicle for 2 days to essentially perform an oil change and also not provide a loaner vehicle. I’ll be waiting.

Name a luxury brand that will keep your vehicle for 2 days to essentially perform an oil change and also not provide a loaner vehicle. I’ll be waiting.

BMW kept my vehicle over 24 hours for one, but because I knew they did that, I called ahead and told them I would require a loaner, and then they told me what day / time to make an appointment so that I could have one (which was a week later than my original appointment).

Of course, I could have waited for it. My 8am appointment for an oil change would have been done around 4 or 430 as a lobby waiter.

Not quite 48 hours, but more like 36. You dont have to wait any longer.

BMW kept my vehicle over 24 hours for one, but because I knew they did that, I called ahead and told them I would require a loaner, and then they told me what day / time to make an appointment so that I could have one (which was a week later than my original appointment).

Of course, I could have waited for it. My 8am appointment for an oil change would have been done around 4 or 430 as a lobby waiter.

Not quite 48 hours, but more like 36. You dont have to wait any longer.
Okay, so they communicated with you prior to drop-off and made agreeable arrangements. The exact opposite of Tesla. Got it.

I’m still waiting.

Reactions: Nozferat
Okay, so they communicated with you prior to drop-off and made agreeable arrangements. The exact opposite of Tesla. Got it.

I’m still waiting.

It appears you are twisting my words a bit. I said I called ahead and made arrangements. Had I just made an appointment and showed up, it would have been the same experience as this OP. I know this doesnt fit your agenda, but Im not particularly fond of you attempting to twist what I said into something I didnt say.

Well, I haven't had this bad service luck, but can see it happening with Tesla. I live 200 miles from a service center and the few times I've been in, I indicated in my appointment notes, and confirm via text, that they will complete the work in one day, or provide a loaner vehicle for my return trip. They've done both for me, but neither was a surprise. Yes you have to make of an effort to communicate with Tesla, but they replied to all my inquiries using the service app.

For what it's worth, my wife's Mercedes E350 was in the dealership shop for two weeks to wait for a replacement CD player to come in from Germany. They provided us with a choice of modest rental cars, and we got a Nissan Leaf. It's what got me interested in EV's and the rest is history.

I am really hesitant to corroborate this and other stories I've read, but I brought my new 21 M3P in after purchase to address issues I felt a brand new car shouldn't have or for that matter anything you buy brand new. I could go into the details, but this is the first time I've felt bullied into accepting a product as 'that's just how it is' in my entire 40+ years on this planet.

fwiw, I'm not talking about panel gaps or paint problems, I'm talking about how parts of the car function or in this case don't.

It appears you are twisting my words a bit. I said I called ahead and made arrangements. Had I just made an appointment and showed up, it would have been the same experience as this OP. I know this doesnt fit your agenda, but Im not particularly fond of you attempting to twist what I said into something I didnt say.

I think the other issue is how we are required to make the appointments. We make them on the app and not by phone. Some service centers do not even pick up the phone when you call.

So, you have to type it all out and hope they read it and respond to your concern for the need for a loaner.

Also, when you call any other dealership for other manufacturers they will tell you that the service may take more than a day and figure out when you can bring it in to get a loaner car.

I wonder if the OP got a call from the service center telling him it would take two days for the service? If so, it is on him. If not, then it is on Tesla. They need to communicate better in that case. Nobody that is a car owner, and owned cars other than Tesla, would expect a normal service to take two days to complete. Unheard of.

I think the other issue is how we are required to make the appointments. We make them on the app and not by phone. Some service centers do not even pick up the phone when you call.

So, you have to type it all out and hope they read it and respond to your concern for the need for a loaner.

Also, when you call any other dealership for other manufacturers they will tell you that the service may take more than a day and figure out when you can bring it in to get a loaner car.

I wonder if the OP got a call from the service center telling him it would take two days for the service? If so, it is on him. If not, then it is on Tesla. They need to communicate better in that case. Nobody that is a car owner, and owned cars other than Tesla, would expect a normal service to take two days to complete. Unheard of.

These are absolutely fair points. Tesla makes it difficult to contact the service center directly, for sure. They dont want personal contact, and that part royally sucks.

(pro tip: to contact your local service center directly via phone, look up the local number for them, then dial it, and listen very carefully to the prompts. The prompt you want is something along the lines of "inquiring about a vehicle in service" which is the only way I personally know of to ensure you get someone at THAT service center, and not in some call center).

I had audi keep my car for 24 hours for a checkup, do a brake flush I didn't ask for, and then give my car back with so much air in the lines the pedal went to the floor when I was backing out. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Apone
I've been lucky so far (and to be fair am at low miles) so not more than a test drive, delivery, and post delivery 1 financial issue to have to deal with the Devon Service/Sales center. However, it was not really what I have come to expect from other car brands, even less expensive cars. Completely staffed by "kids" in khakis it was more like an Apple store. I don't need or want people in suits and their clothes would not have mattered as much if they seemed interested in my business.
As mentioned above, the buying process was not great. It's tough to get people to answer the phone - King of Prussia mall Tesla store is good though because all they have is a phone I guess. My Infiniti, Lexus and Hondas were all good experiences with Honda being the best mix of absolute service and reasonable cost. The other two were good but more costly. However the car values were either in line or LESS than this Tesla, so why should I expect worse service? All 3 of those are Japanese companies and they tend to have a a bit of a philosophy about these things.
I'm just hoping to not have to deal with Tesla service much as low maintenance was a key point of attraction. I think Tesla is betting that the tech will sell the cars and went a bit lowball on service centers. "the cars sell themselves and need no maintenance". I think they are surprised now by the things people bring them in for, some seem like they've never owned a car before, and are overwhelmed.
That coupled with the owner community vigorously defending them and letting them off the hook *shrug* why should they change. The best thing to happen to Tesla service, will be another good service maker launching an equal (which aint easy) EV competitor. Lexus forced the Germans to get more serious about customer satisfaction and some level of reliability. People got tired of the treatment and actually went to lower performing (sports wise) cars to escape them. Tesla will learn now, or learn later.

Reactions: BeeGood and SigNC
Uh huh. Stop trying to compare BMW’s service levels to Tesla. They are light years apart. It’s a losing battle. I’m sure that hurts to hear because it doesn’t fit your agenda.

I was simply stating a fact that no other Luxury brand’s service department operates in the same manner as Tesla. At this point in time, that simply cannot be disproven. No matter how you try and twist it.