Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Customer Service Nightmare at Tyson's Corner, Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried waiting for 45 days before writing this review so my immediate anger is over now but I still feel compelled to write this to find out if I am the only one or this is how customers are treated at Tesla Service Shop (Tyson's Corner, VA).

We have a Tesla that we regretfully purchased last year not knowing that we'll have to put up with Tesla's arrogant, unprofessional, rude service staff at Tyson's Corner facility in Virginia which happens to be the closest and only service center in this area.
A bit of back ground... I tried setting up an appointment a number of times but Tesla's staff would conveniently cancel it asking me questions on the problem that were beyond my technical abilities. If the car monitor is failing and freezing, why should I do the diagnostic and create flags in the car's event recorder and how do I do that when the whole thing is frozen. But then luckily the AC stopped working and started making a loud noise that they couldn't deny service on. So I was scheduled an appointment a week later (without an AC for a week).
We found out that we had to be elsewhere the same day so we thought we could leave the car about an hour earlier. Any dealership would allow to leave your car a bit earlier. I stood in a line and when I reached to the nice CS associate, he was about to take my key when someone from far behind (Mr. Andrew) says "You cannot leave your car - You have to be here exactly at 1:00 PM". I was puzzled how could that make sense and who is this guy volunteering. So I asked, this makes no sense, why should I stay here for an hour just to hand you the key that can be taken now. The guy insisted that this his policy. I asked if I can talk to the manager. The guy (Mr. Andrew) said he is the manager. I said, in this case I'd have to tell you what else was I was not happy about as my appointments were cancelled many times without ever talking to me. He got upset and told me that he is not going to provide service and if I tried complaining, he'd call police. I was still puzzled why this guy is so upset. I had to be upset as he was not willing to take my car where I had already waited for a week without an AC. My argument would be - I never started any bad communication till Tesla staff told me that they wouldn't take my car even with an appointment. Sorry guys, I had never heard this before from any dealerships. I can take my VW to Toyota dealership and still get a decent treatment but here I had an expensive car visiting the dealership for the first time and was thrown out of the dealership.

What made me understand this guy's problem was even worse. My wife (a white person) spoke to him where Mr. Andrew was still using unprofessional language and threats. And all of sudden Mr. Andrew wanted to take the car in. Clearly the manager needs to have racial training dealing with brown or other color folks. How can he be stubborn about his policy with me but changes it altogether for my wife?

Here are my recommendations to Tesla:

1- Help Mr. Andrew by giving him a week off so he is less stressed and behaves.
2- Provide this manager with customer service training along with racial tolerance and basic manners training.
3- Provide this center enough man-power so they are able to take care of customer. Although this issue is not about mechanics but purely about rude & unprofessional behavior of a service manager.
4- If the manager is unable to improve - help him find a job at K-Mart, Cable TV operators (etc.) so his talent of rudeness is acceptable and all parties live happily everafter.
5- Find a manager who is polite, knows that customers are not enemies, willing to help customers, tends not to hate people due to their color or ethnicity, willing to implement easier rules for customers - on par with industry.
6- If all of the above doesn't work, open up new centers for customers so we have a choice.

I am sure there are a lot of good people available and willing to work why Tesla wants to hire such rude and unprofessional manager. And if it has to be the only person, can he not be trained to be courteous and professional if not nice or pleasant?

I don’t think this is the right forum to address your concerns. We have no ability to direct Tesla to do any of the things you are requesting and Tesla executives are not know to read nor respond to any comments in this forum. You could try sending a letter to corporate to see if it gets their attention but Tesla is not known for handling these situations particularly well so you may find your time is not well spent in doing so.

Tesla is not known for great customer service. Those who find the level of service unacceptable may not be well suited for a Tesla vehicle.

They intake ten cars per hour at Tysons SC for service, you must have disrupted their intake schedule. Use the drop box next time and walk out... you don't have to wait until your scheduled intake time. Also cut these dudes some slack, if you were an asshat to me I would call the police too. Maybe your wife wasn't being a jerk, which is why his behavior changed, why does everyone jump to race, when many times its about behavior. Sounds like you need to check yours, while it can be frustrating to deal with service, if you treat them well, they will treat you well, if you treat the team like crap, don't be surprised when your steering wheel feels and smells like someone chubbed it.

They intake ten cars per hour at Tysons SC for service, you must have disrupted their intake schedule. Use the drop box next time and walk out... you don't have to wait until your scheduled intake time. Also cut these dudes some slack, if you were an asshat to me I would call the police too. Maybe your wife wasn't being a jerk, which is why his behavior changed, why does everyone jump to race, when many times its about behavior. Sounds like you need to check yours, while it can be frustrating to deal with service, if you treat them well, they will treat you well, if you treat the team like crap, don't be surprised when your steering wheel feels and smells like someone chubbed it.

I was with you until the end there.

I've dealt with Tyson's since they opened and always had great service. Especially on intake. Their GPS notifier thing tells them I am there and then they pretend to know who I am and greet me by name. It's a nice feeling.

But most of my exposure to them was a while back before the model 3 deluge.

“I can take my VW to Toyota dealership and still get a decent treatment...”

Not sure about that.

I have some trepidation about where this thread is headed.

Shouldn’t we perhaps talk about the OP’s “trepidation” instead, assuming we have anything meaningful to say? Or should we instead bury our collective heads even deeper in the sand and pretend everything’s great with service?

As an argument against your (frankly rather condescending) skepticism, I’ll use my own experience as an example: I serviced my VW at a Mercedes dealer for many years, because the local VW dealer was absolutely hopeless, even though they were nowhere near what the OP is describing of Tesla Service. It can be done, plenty of businesses, including dealers, service other brands just fine, other brands aside from Tesla, that is. There’s only one reason for that, i.e. Tesla maintaining strict control of The Precious ... presumably in order to make sure that Service does not become a profit center?

In fact the OP’s Service experience mirrors my own: massive incompetence and seemingly endless arrogance.

I was with you until the end there.
But most of my exposure to them was a while back before the model 3 deluge.

So then, you don’t understand the OP’s experience because of your own experience in a context widely acknowledged to be COMPLETELY different?

Maybe a quick show of hands from owners who’ve had an S or X for some time would be in order:
Do any of you here think that, as of now, Service is comparable to what you’ve experienced in the “olden days”?

Last edited:
I am so sorry that was your experience. This gives me room for pause now. I purchased my Model 3 LR AWD from Tyson's on August 17th and it was easy and smooth process. They were very busy on Saturday but since I handled most of stuff online it was a quick process. The only snafu I had - was I changed my mind about financing. At first I was going to lease - but opted to finance - so I can actually keep the car vs having to return it at the end of my lease. I was treated very nicely and professionally and had multiple people checking on me ( I am 6'0, 225, brown guy) the entire time.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51 and goddy
As an argument against your (frankly rather condescending) skepticism, I’ll use my own experience as an example: I serviced my VW at a Mercedes dealer for many years, because the local VW dealer was absolutely hopeless...
That’s an interesting anecdote. It’s not something that anyone I know has done. Still not sure about servicing a VW at a dealer for Japanese cars, but maybe one or two people will report that they do it all the time.

Regarding my trepidation, we can revisit that in a few days after the thread has developed.

That’s an interesting anecdote. It’s not something that anyone I know has done. Still not sure about servicing a VW at a dealer for Japanese cars, but maybe one or two people will report that they do it all the time.

Regarding my trepidation, we can revisit that in a few days after the thread has developed.

I am sooo looking forward to not hearing this type of all-too-familiar service fustercluck. It’s sad, it’s embarrassing and it’s not right!

I don’t know, how many cars does a typical Tesla SC service daily? From what I observed at Dallas and Plano it’s fewer cars than at a typical large dealership. I asked workers how their workload was vs their previous jobs at local dealerships. To my surprise, they said “about the same” (this was as of Dec 2018). I watched the service advisors closely and I thought that whatever they were doing could have easily been accomplished with proper processes and half the staff ... albeit not THAT staff.

I have always had positive intake (I am not in your area) other than not wanting to go over the issues point by point. Jeez. The output of the service appointments on the other hand have always been less than desirable to downright jacked up. If you can try another service center, I would do that and don't tell Tyson, just switch. If you want to complain to someone outside of the Tyson service center, good luck. They don't let you do that. You can spam their email addresses but they will just funnel them back to the Tyson service manager. There has to be a little more to this story though, seems odd they would fly off the handle that quickly talking about calling the police on a customer...

Reactions: go2realize and tvad
It’s ok. You’re not the only one. I realized everything at Tyson’s s u c k s. Overworked employees + too many cars + entitled a$shole NOva elite customers who thinks they’re god = disaster. I scheduled service at Richmond and got issue resolved super fast. NOVA desperately needs second SC, near Dulles-Sterling.
I am gonna disagree with you there. If they add another service center it needs to be closer to Hampton Roads. We've got a lot more cars down here now and it's a 2 hour drive to Richmond.

Reactions: qdeathstar