Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Customer Service Rant - (Sorry...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is unfortunate.

It must be certain service centers and perhaps depends on what is wrong.

I have had my Model S for almost 4 years and 52k miles. I have used mobile service once to replace the 12v battery and the service center once to replace a windshield due to a rock. (And I got a loaner by letting them know ahead of time and made the Appt first thing in the day. This was in May.). Good service.

To not buy a car for the “possible” concern of a repair that “might” not happen in a timely manner once every handful of years, seems excessive. I’d rather enjoy the drive for the 99% of the time rather than drive something I don’t like, just to “maybe”, “possibly” avoid a bad service experience. But to each their own. Perhaps if I went through what you did, I’d feel different.

For the ones that do have bad experience, hopefully their service center will improve especially now that Tesla has more access to cash. After each service, I hope you are taking the time to fill out their survey. (I’m sure you are.)

Anyway, there must be something that can be done, like a petition?

Sounds like a good idea. Not that I think that Tesla cares a jot for its customers or their petitions but some of the less scrupulous members of the business community (big oil maybe, Toyota perhaps, commercial TV stations that get zero advertising dollars from Tesla but plenty from their competitors) might run with it, maybe causing Tesla to reappraise its attitude to service.

Last edited:
So question. If I go to this appointment and they tell me it's "within spec" am I going to have to pay $100?
No. They’ll message or call you first and give you the option to pay for it or not.

I had a problem with my early-ish M3’s suspension (upper control arm), and I was admittedly a bit miffed that they were quoting me a price to get it fixed when I was sure it should have been under warranty. I was assured that they just don’t decide whether something is covered under warranty until the car has been brought in and examined. And, if it wasn’t covered under warranty, they’d let me know before they did anything. It really turned out to be a non-issue.

I would urge you to make an appointment to get your seat fixed. You really don’t have anything to lose other than the time and effort to take your car to the Service Center.

I hate to hear this. I've had my M3 for 2 years and have not had problems with the service center. Maybe it's certain centers? I don't have a way of contacting my local SC by phone, only through the app which I don't like. They just opened a new large service building. Anyway, there must be something that can be done, like a petition?
I don't believe it's specific service center related, if you have the same *rocking seat* issue as OP described, your beloved service center will almost certainly turn against you.
I'm in NJ, SC screwed up twice. First time, they didn't properly patch my tire correctly and wanted me to just buy a brand new tire. 30 minutes later, the tire was fixed at another tire store 1 mile away from SC. Tesla refused to refund their failed work. Second time, the charging port didn't charge correctly, left the car at SC for 2 days, tech confirmed that it's fixed and then poof the same problem returned immediately at SC's charging station, but the SC closed by the time I picked up the car.

I hear the OP... at this point, I don’t believe there are a “select few” that have issues with Tesla service... let alone product quality. I think only a select few complain about it. I’ve had 3 Teslas, two MS and one MX. I’ve had quality issues with all of them, but the service made it sort of palatable. That changed with the rollout of M3...

Now, service is absolutely abysmal. I’ve dumped two of my Tesla’s and now I have one MS. In fact, I sued Tesla to take back my MX after over a dozen attempts to fix an issue. Dumpster fire. Now, I try to get a simple service appt and it takes weeks. There are no loaners, and it sits in service for weeks.

If Tesla continues with this treatment, they will fail. I know they started this service austerity to generate a profit. That profit is to satisfy investors. Well, that won’t work forever, and the stock price is an absolute fallacy driven by retail investors.

It's amazing what s**t people will put up with and pass it off as "growth problems" or "teething problems," just to go fast for a few seconds and think they're in an exclusive club with a genius at the helm. I have been very happy with my bullet-proof 2013 Volt over 80k miles. Say what you will about GM, but they really put in their homework with over 750,000 miles of road-testing before selling the first in 2012. I have gotten competent service from my dealer during my few visits (3 oil changes and tire rotations, a few computer updates, and a oil strut replacement for the rear liftback). Tesla did NOT do enough of the required road testing for the M 3, and rather let the early adopters be the beta-testers, and they did it once again for the M Y. Tesla production is rushed and sloppy, paint jobs are sub-par, interiors are drab, and the almighty center screen is a bad idea. Tesla purchasers have come to EXPECT assembly issues. Now it sounds as if their repair facilities are swamped, and they've been told to lie to their customers about cars being "in spec" and "sounds normal" and so many other excuses that are tarnishing the image of the company. I was considering the M Y, but not under these circumstances. If things don't improve quickly, I will jump ship and get an E-tron, XC-40EV, Mach-E, VW ID.4, or POSSIBLY a Cybertruck if they can manage to build a QUALITY vehicle. Shame on you, Tesla.

I hate the excuses Tesla makes that they have to achieve certain numbers to "satisfy the investors". SCREW the investors!!! Investing is a risk, and I say to all investors, "Don't invest what you can't afford to lose". No one forced them to buy Tesla stock. Tesla should be doing right by their PAYING CUSTOMERS, not appeasing a bunch of stock investors, who should not be a priority at all.

These horror stories are terrifying. As I lurk around these forums preparing to get a Tesla, these kinds of stories really make me wonder if it's the right move for me. Especially since I plan on getting a CT when it comes out (already reserved) and I image they'll have a slew of problems of their own.
I'm in the exact same position. I've got a reservation for a CT.... but am already doing extensive research for a backup choice from another Mfg... If they don't get their act together soon, CT will be exactly the same. I won't take one.

Reactions: El joe
Their service blows. Kept my car 5 days to replace the cabin filter after waiting 3 weeks for an appointment. Had 40 miles out on my car and fast food trash left in the back seat. A-hole management at Tyco Road in Tyson’s Va won’t even return my call and their rep went silent in texts. Hiding behind COVID and the crappy app. Zero managerial courage.
That’s insane. How can they not see trash left in the backseat for what I’m guessing is a “new” car?

Tesla and Elon are VERY concerned about all of this. After all Kimbal just made over 8 MILLION dollars on the stock....after selling and buying more. And these CS, Maintenance and Service Center issues are at the top of their list I’m sure. Us peasants have no need to worry. Just google Model X shudder. Checks in the mail.

Ski

• Funny
Reactions: ladysbff
Got a reduced power warning...went away immediately. Was told to bring it in...dropped off Monday...line/lot of cars being serviced was tremendous.

Told Friday my M3 hasn’t even been looked at yet. Checked app and car is not at SC. I texted SC and they said my M3 was at an overflow lot down the street.

Have no confidence in Tesla service center...love my M3 but may opt to move to another brand if future SC needs require this bad service.

• Informative
Reactions: hlin07
Tesla and Elon are VERY concerned about all of this. After all Kimbal just made over 8 MILLION dollars on the stock....after selling and buying more. And these CS, Maintenance and Service Center issues are at the top of their list I’m sure. Us peasants have no need to worry. Just google Model X shudder. Checks in the mail.

Ski
It’s going to be an interesting challenge for them. So many new customers and cars, the potential quality issues with the upcoming CT, Semi, Roadster, along with other issues like the challenge of cars on the road versus number of Superchargers, etc.

Reactions: Skione65
Their service blows. Kept my car 5 days to replace the cabin filter after waiting 3 weeks for an appointment. Had 40 miles out on my car and fast food trash left in the back seat. A-hole management at Tyco Road in Tyson’s Va won’t even return my call and their rep went silent in texts. Hiding behind COVID and the crappy app. Zero managerial courage.

Geez, sounds like they must have given your car out as a loaner to some customer that was irate they didn't have a loaner for them!

Is that why they disable the app and the dashcam during service appts??

The tech that worked on your car must have thought you were a slob and was disgusted by you, not knowing that your car was lent out to a random slob to be ridden hard and put up wet.

Last edited: