Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Customer Service Rant - (Sorry...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we ordered a Model Y but decided to cancel. Not so much because of the QC issues currently (although that's a big con cern) but rather, my service experience with my 6 month old Model 3. Now, let me start by saying I'm NOT one of those OCD types expecting a perfect car. In fact, I went into this with very low expectations regarding assembly quality just to prepare myself.

But, when you have an OBVIOUS problem... the response from multiple service centers and mobile techs is always the same: "They're all like this" or "it's within Tesla specs". Here are some examples:

1. My drivers seat back is loose and moves back/forth when driving/braking. Passenger seat is tight with no movement. Checked a car at the dealer and neither seat has movement. Check my neighbor's 2018 and no movement. To me, this is more than just an annoyance. It's a safety concern as it's been getting worse, not better. Showed a mobile tech while he was replacing defective door weatherstripping and he said flat out it wasn't normal, the seat was securely fastened to the floor, the problem was internal to the seat and it would have to be disassembled or replaced, and he instructed me to make an appointment for repair. I made the appointment. I included the comments from their tech. I get an email today saying I'm responsible for $97.50 in labor charges unless it's a problem covered under warranty. SO here's the deal. Every time I go in for service, they tell me it's within spec. Every time. I have no doubt they'll tell me the same thing this time. Only, I'll have to fork out $100 for them to tell me that.
  2. Drivers air vents were only blowing in my lap... air couldn't be directed higher than my waist. Brought it in and the Service Advisor confirmed the issue... then talked to a tech.... he came back and said "I'm going to look into it and I'll fix it remotely from here". Never heard back. Go to a different service center and they say "it's normal... the steering wheel blocks the air so you won't feel it on your face... I'll compare it to another car but it's within spec". Calls to say he compared it to another car and it's working fine so I explained "It's 100 degrees out and it USED to blow on my face but stopped. Now I have cold legs and now cool air up top. it's NOT normal... check another car!" SO he calls back the next day and says "well, I don't know what was wrong with the first car we check yours with but we just checked it with a different 3 and you're right... it isn't working as designed. We're going to order a replacement vent assembly and have a mobile tech replace it at your home". SO the mobile tech arrives with the replacement part and tells me it's working fine and doesn't need to be replaced. UH WHAT????? I even sat in the car and showed how the air only blows in my lap and he still insisted it seemed fine to him. It wasn't until he saw I was losing my patience that he finally agreed to replace it.... and he did.... and it fixed the issue.
  3. I've had an issue with the car since delivery where several times a week, I get in the car and it's dead. No screen, brake pedal is hard as a rock, nothing. Only way to get it back is to hold the brake pedal and press both buttons and eventually it reboots and seems ok. I explained this to 2 service departments who told me they couldn't repeat the issue... or that that it was a known issue that would be fixed in an update. That was in March. We've had a dozen updates and still problem exists. I was able to chat with Tesla online and they told me to use the power off feature, wait in the car for 3 mins, and this would reset everything. Nope. Chatted again and they said to keep a log of the exact day and time this happens so they can investigate... which I did... and I shared it with the service department. They said again it's a known issue and will be fixed in a future update. UH....? So I mentioned it to a service advisor who called to verify a mobile repair and he said "Just tell your car never to go to sleep... it's a setting somewhere in the menus" Uh.... WHAT?

I could go on and on but this is NOT acceptable. Had a Chevy Bolt EV and a Volt and service experience was exceptional and had no issues with the cars. We have a Kia Niro EV now and same deal. Customer service is amazing and no problems. Do I love the way the car drives? Absolutely! But when something is not working in a brand new car, FIX IT.

Rant over.

In the early days of Hyundai, this was their trick. Offer a comprehensive warranty, but do everything to wiggle out of honoring repairs or just wear out the customer so they stop asking.

Glad Hyundai/Kia aren't doing that anymore, and I hope Tesla finds a reason to stop doing it.

I think when Europe and China are building for those markets, Tesla will be able to slow things down in Fremont and improve QC. I'm curious to know if Model 3's built in China have the same assembly issues as those coming out of Fremont. Competition is coming soon from almost everywhere at this point.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Now, let me start by saying I'm NOT one of those OCD types expecting a perfect car. In fact,
  1. My drivers seat back is loose and moves back/forth when driving/braking. Passenger seat is tight with no movement. Checked a car at the dealer and neither seat has movement. Check my neighbor's 2018 and no movement. To me, this is more than just an annoyance. It's a safety concern as it's been getting worse, not better. Showed a mobile tech while he was replacing defective door weatherstripping and he said flat out it wasn't normal, the seat was securely fastened to the floor, the problem was internal to the seat and it would have to be disassembled or replaced, and he instructed me to make an appointment for repair. I made the appointment. I included the comments from their tech. I get an email today saying I'm responsible for $97.50 in labor charges unless it's a problem covered under warranty. SO here's the deal. Every time I go in for service, they tell me it's within spec. Every time. I have no doubt they'll tell me the same thing this time. Only, I'll have to fork out $100 for them to tell me that.
I am right there with you in sentiment, no expectation of perfection on any vehicle. As well, I repair machinery for a living...every thing breaks so I am not emotionally invested if it does.

I am however frustrated with "No trouble found" when it is evident and obvious that the problem exists.

I have the exact same drivers seat problem, took the car in for service and received the exact same response as you have. At least Tesla is consistent in that?

Reactions: Zinjan and dogphlap
What would they do, hold you at Tesla gunpoint and swipe your card ? I would say you didnt do any work, I am not paying for anything since it wasnt done or fixed. Simple.

But you also need to find the regional manager and get his contact info. They will refuse to give it, get on LinkedIn and stalk him down till you talk to him and explain all of this. Everyone has a boss at some point in the food chain. The Manager's manager's whole life revolves around performance metrics. You knock them off balance and he will care.

Reactions: Zinjan
I have the same problem with my driver's seat, and despite multiple mobile techs telling me it isn't normal and needs to be replaced, the service center always returns with the "within spec" garbage.

Much like you, service quality/experience is but one reason I didn't buy another Tesla for my wife, and something I caution anyone who asks me about buying one as well.

I'm also not particularly picky when it comes to this stuff, but the inconsistency, inability to actually talk to anyone or escalate a concern is maddening. I've wasted so much time on unattempted and incomplete repairs -- it shouldn't have to be this way.

I still think they're trying to discourage people from going to service centers (cost savings, probably) and this is one way (albeit by pissing customers off) to do it.

I have the same problem with my driver's seat, and despite multiple mobile techs telling me it isn't normal and needs to be replaced, the service center always returns with the "within spec" garbage.

Much like you, service quality/experience is but one reason I didn't buy another Tesla for my wife, and something I caution anyone who asks me about buying one as well.

I'm also not particularly picky when it comes to this stuff, but the inconsistency, inability to actually talk to anyone or escalate a concern is maddening. I've wasted so much time on unattempted and incomplete repairs -- it shouldn't have to be this way.

I still think they're trying to discourage people from going to service centers (cost savings, probably) and this is one way (albeit by pissing customers off) to do it.

Yeah, I take the time to go there thinking "oh, they'll fix this" because their mobile tech says "make an appointment to fix this" but when I get there, they usually say "The manager will never approve a fix... it's in spec" and of course you can't speak to the manager. I'm dreading going back for this seat next week. This is why I cancelled my Model Y.

I totally sympathize, CS sucks, and I've been fortunate never to have to deal with it. However, time is money, so as much as I think Tesla CS is wrong, I'd just suck it up and pay the $100 for the seat fix. It's definitely a safety issue and they should have fixed it no questions asked. The second issue, was fixed. I've been to enough car dealers to know that it can be like pulling teeth to get them to agree to fix something sometimes. Third issue, I'd search to see if it's happened to others. Sounds like the car is in deep sleep, and won't wake up. Could it be your phone? Try the keycard to see if that'll get the car to function. Is it plugged in all night?

I had a 2016 Chevy Volt which I traded in for my Tesla. I liked the car alot, but I'm not so sure about the CS. They called me all the time for my oil change, when the app was showing I had about 1000 miles on the engine. Then I'd explain to them, that there's an app that shows you, blah blah blah... Owning the red-headed stepchild at the dealership did not appeal to me.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zinjan and raggedy
So, we ordered a Model Y but decided to cancel. Not so much because of the QC issues currently (although that's a big con cern) but rather, my service experience with my 6 month old Model 3. Now, let me start by saying I'm NOT one of those OCD types expecting a perfect car. In fact, I went into this with very low expectations regarding assembly quality just to prepare myself.

But, when you have an OBVIOUS problem... the response from multiple service centers and mobile techs is always the same: "They're all like this" or "it's within Tesla specs". Here are some examples:

I could go on and on but this is NOT acceptable. Had a Chevy Bolt EV and a Volt and service experience was exceptional and had no issues with the cars. We have a Kia Niro EV now and same deal. Customer service is amazing and no problems. Do I love the way the car drives? Absolutely! But when something is not working in a brand new car, FIX IT.

Rant over.

i have the same issue with my drivers seat. tesla refuses to fix it, says the seat having play and rocking back and forth is normal..............

I'm sorry you're having this experience. I've owned 3 Teslas since 2014, and service used to be top notch, until the M3 came along. Since then it's been absolutely abysmal. Offensively bad. I would not buy another Tesla again now, just due to service and QC issues, until they get their act together; actually I'm shopping for a German car at the moment with some reasonable adaptive cruise control. And using the money saved to buy their stock instead, lol.

I'm a Model S owner. Sorry to hear about the trouble with the seats. This has been a long running problem with MS seats. I've had two replaced under warranty, but hear from lots of people that the service centers are reluctant to replace them anymore. There are two service bulletins out on how to repair the worn pivot (Huck bom fastener in Tesla-speak) on the Model S seats - perhaps bring that up with the service center and see if the same repair kit can be applied to your Model 3 (don't know if it will...). SB-17-13-005 SB-18-13-002 SB-17-13-002

On the MS they are now claiming it is a wear part (a main steel pivot in the frame of the seat!) and hence not covered under warranty. It is heart breaking to watch the dismantling of the Tesla brand like this.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153435-9999.pdf

When told "it is within spec", has anyone asked for a copy of the specifications stating this. If they tell you it is within spec. they must have some sort of paper or computer screen that gives them that information. I would say if they can't come up with it, then they have to fix the problem at no charge, if they show proof of it being within specs and you want it adjusted, then you pay.

About the seat, if you asked them what the spec was and to prove it was in spec, what would they say or do?

I'm not trying to be a jerk (to you). But if someone tells me something is in spec, they better be able to produce said "spec" and demonstrate that is has been met.

Reactions: Zinjan
Understand your frustration. I have had my MX for 3 years and have noticed rapidly declining CS. My last experience was so bad I am now considering leaving the Tesla brand and switching to one of the new European electric or hybrid cars. Tesla are not going to monopolize the market for much longer if they don't start looking after their customers just a little...

This is exactly why, after almost two years of being a hardcore Tesla promoter to anyone that would listen, I’ve completely stopped telling people to buy one. Service is actually that bad and so far seems like there is no plan to fix it. Your experience is all too common.

And you’re brave to post this... wait til the Elon fan boys come out and start dragging you for sharing factual events...

Boy, you guys are really making me think about canceling my MY on order and worse yet, it is white.

The lease on my MS was up and I just turned it in. The car had a clunk when first taking off every morning and they told me they could not duplicate it. One of the mechanics asked me if I could record the noise, so I placed a camera under the rear of the car, knowing that the noise was coming from there. When I emailed them the clip, they first told me they could not open the MP3 file. I drove by so that they could see and hear the noise and they told me that they were unable to duplicate it, so not to worry about it.

We had a problem with our rear bottom seat and a new one had to be ordered. After constant calls and almost one year of being told that it was on back order, I insisted on at least a used replacement be put in since one half of the rear seat could not be used. I had asked for this before and I was always been told no way Tesla does not do that and besides we don't have any, this time I was a little more demanding and it did me no good. Once home a sent Elon an email telling him that this was unacceptable. The next morning, I received a call from my "friend" the service manager who told me that they had been requested to temporarily exchange my seat while a new one came in. They offered to pickup my car and gave me a loaner while the job was done. A few days later, I found out that my original order for a seat was not really placed or could not be found, so they had to come out and see exactly what seat I had to make sure I received the correct one. After they received the wrong parts about three times and two months later, my seat came in and was installed. JUST OVER A YEAR!

Last edited:
I'm convinced there is no customer service. I am currently having an issue with the wrong car cover sent to me. You would not believe what I have had to go through just to try and get the cover I ordered. I have returned the wrong cover..there is no issue they screwed up. But no one will answer my emails asking for status, or if anything more needed. (sent original invoice and photos of the wrong cover ). Another week will bring time to a month unresolved. Now they hit my card with what might be a shipping charge..no explanation when the original order was 'free shipping'. I own two Teslas bought new. I own stock in Tesla. Now I have rethought my stupidity in defending this company to others. A few months ago I had ordered a clothing item which I never got, but they claimed was delivered. (My security cameras show different). But, I let it slide..not worth my time I told myself. Now I realize I should have gone elsewhere for a car cover. If Tesla can not handle little problems, I can imagine what I am in for if I have a major problem. PS: Musk might can send astronauts into space, but he can't deliver a car cover to Tennessee.

I hate to hear this. I've had my M3 for 2 years and have not had problems with the service center. Maybe it's certain centers? I don't have a way of contacting my local SC by phone, only through the app which I don't like. They just opened a new large service building. Anyway, there must be something that can be done, like a petition?

• Informative
Reactions: Zinjan and dogphlap