Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Customers in 1-week grace period

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to cancel your order. You will get the update automatically and free. Just got this email.

Screenshot%202016-04-12%2012.01.27.png

I had a build saved that was $98,200. I just re-entered the equivalent, and it came to $96,000. This is because I had the next-gen seats selected, and now they are standard I think. So the price actually went down $2,200.

And not factoring in that seat change, the price only went up by $300.

I had a build saved that was $98,200. I just re-entered the equivalent, and it came to $96,000. This is because I had the next-gen seats selected, and now they are standard I think. So the price actually went down $2,200.

I don't see how they're standard. The configurator still says 2.5k

Nope. Still seeing fabric seats standard. Next Gen $2500.

Tesla just told me that the new standard 48 amp charge (vs 40 amps on old one) will NOT be upgraded for free. That I should talk with sales rep to see what it would cost to get that added.

Has anyone else heard anything regarding chargers being upgraded for free or not?

Tesla just told me that the new standard 48 amp charge (vs 40 amps on old one) will NOT be upgraded for free. That I should talk with sales rep to see what it would cost to get that added.

Has anyone else heard anything regarding chargers being upgraded for free or not?
I took delivery yesterday. Today they told me "too bad, you got a wonderful car, enjoy it". No new nose, no LED adaptive headlamps, no 48a charger, etc. No consideration at all for the fact that the car I got less than 24hrs earlier was now an "old" MS which obviously depreciated about $10K on the announcement.

My salesman said the switch was thrown Tuesday and the cars are all now being built as new. I
In other words you couldn't say give me a 40 amp charger.
It wouldn't make sense for Tesla to build a bunch of cars with 48 amp chargers then say "slow down, go grab an old 40 amp for this one car". Cheaper to build them all the same.
No other information other than common sense on this one.

I have a pending order that confirms tomorrow. I still see the old Model s configuration on design studio. I spoke to my DS and he's trying to get Tesla HQ switch my profile to new one but hasn't happened. Are you guys seeing the new version on mytesla?
And does the 7 day grace period last till the midnight of day 7? Trying to weigh in some last minute changes.

Last edited:
I have a pending order that confirms tomorrow. I still see the old Model s configuration on design studio. I spoke to my DS and he's trying to get Tesla HQ switch my profile to new one but hasn't happened. Are you guys seeing the new version on mytesla?
And does the 7 day grace period last till the midnight of day 7? Trying to weigh in some last minute changes.
I also have the old model showing on my car that will be confirmed this coming Sunday. I can tell you that with the last Tesla I ordered (June 2015) I received the "Your order has been confirmed" email 9 minutes after midnight (Pacific Time) on the following day. (I.E. it said it would be confirmed on the 10th and the email came at 12:09 AM on the 11th).

My salesman said the switch was thrown Tuesday and the cars are all now being built as new. I
In other words you couldn't say give me a 40 amp charger.
It wouldn't make sense for Tesla to build a bunch of cars with 48 amp chargers then say "slow down, go grab an old 40 amp for this one car". Cheaper to build them all the same.
No other information other than common sense on this one.
I suspect your salesman was correct. I got the factory tour on Monday and we were blocked from seeing the final assembly line, presumably because they were already moving to the new design, while still delivering (to myself and a few others), the old design.

I'm in the grace period. Can confirm that the configurator *just* updated for me. Piano Black is not an option for me any longer, but neither are the 2 new wood grains. The premium upgrades package is still there as an option, but the dual charger option is missing. In short, I believe we grace period folks are blessed with "free stuff", but cursed with "least choice".

Anyone else seeing similar limitations in their build?

I'm in the grace period. Can confirm that the configurator *just* updated for me. Piano Black is not an option for me any longer, but neither are the 2 new wood grains. The premium upgrades package is still there as an option, but the dual charger option is missing. In short, I believe we grace period folks are blessed with "free stuff", but cursed with "least choice".

Anyone else seeing similar limitations in their build?

I saw the same thing. In fact there was no selected interior trim for me (I had selected piano black). Only seeing three options for trims. I'd prefer the dark ash default over the piano black.

Called and the tesla guy made a note which trim I wanted and reported the issue to someone. Maybe it will be fixed before the lock in tomorrow night or I guess I've got the wood grain one I picked at a 750 premium, still it's a savings of 750 for having ordered right before the changes came out....

I am in the grace period. Like some of the others above, I am not seeing all of the new options. I had not decided yet if I was ordering the 90D or the P90D. Does anyone know if they are honoring old prices for those of us in limbo on a configuration change or does the old price just lock for the configuration you had in the tool when the price changed?

I am in the grace period. Like some of the others above, I am not seeing all of the new options. I had not decided yet if I was ordering the 90D or the P90D. Does anyone know if they are honoring old prices for those of us in limbo on a configuration change or does the old price just lock for the configuration you had in the tool when the price changed?
I repriced my just delivered 90D and there was no material price change, particularly if you factor in the HPWC and/or dual chargers vs 78a charger (nice for destination charging). I think the "price increase" is a smoke screen to convince recent buyers that they got a deal.

I repriced my just delivered 90D and there was no material price change, particularly if you factor in the HPWC and/or dual chargers vs 78a charger (nice for destination charging). I think the "price increase" is a smoke screen to convince recent buyers that they got a deal.

Perhaps, but as a guy that waited for the announcement before buying, I feel kinda screwed.
So from my perspective, recent buyers DID get a deal.

... now an "old" MS which obviously depreciated about $10K on the announcement.
Where did you get that? KBB, or the CPO website, or...?

I don't understand why, every time there's an update / upgrade to the design, some of those who recently received their new car feel cheated. You got exactly what you ordered and paid for. What's the beef? That someone else got a version that's slightly different / improved? You apparently felt that the cost was worth it when you ordered the car. Now suddenly Tesla cheated you and the car isn't worth what you paid, because they didn't tell you they were updating the car?

Reactions: AMPd
Called tesla about the trim options and was told piano black is not available, to get the new trims I'd have to accept the new prices. Looks like the only option is one of the cost adder trims, this might simply be the result of those being the only trims in common with the available ones and tesla holding back the new trims as a matter of principle.

Looks like anyone in the holding period is only really going to save 750 at most and potentially 500, if they pick the most expensive trim.

Not complaining but it's a little unnerving not to know what the config is going to be until the build is locked in, or why some trims aren't available without calling.