Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Customizing Model 3 interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 299250 View attachment 299251

Hi! I know how you feel with the interior, as I own a Mercedes S-Class and also a Porsche GT3. It's hard to get the best of both worlds with I picked up my Tesla M3. I was able to integrate a couple of extra comforts and sporty aesthetic upgrades to bridge the gap. Being a former Model S and Model X owner, I knew my M3 interior would be very minimalist. I love the car for all its other awesome features, but needed to add a few things as you can see in my photos. As my daily driver, the seat upholstery replacements with diamond stitch leather was a smart choice. With the original seats, I'd say in my opinion they were as comfy as the seats in a Mercedes C-class range.

I added glossy carbon fiber to the wood panel and steering wheel. I wanted to do more like the center console and other trimmings, but the cost would be too much. To me, I like the touch of sportiness that reminds me of my Porsche. Hope this helps give you an idea of some things you can do to spruce up the inside to your liking.

looks great! the seats look like they are from Tsportline

is the dash carbon a wrap?

If those are the Tsportline seats then they really should replace the photos on their website, because they look much, much better in gemmisa's photo. Here's the Tsportline photo for reference (looks like a poor render):
tesla-model-3-signature-diamond-quilt-leather-interior-front-wm-black_b74b2423-f4d7-4afc-afa0-91b41e6f7ce7_1024x1024@2x.jpg

If those are the Tsportline seats then they really should replace the photos on their website, because they look much, much better in gemmisa's photo. Here's the Tsportline photo for reference (looks like a poor render):
tesla-model-3-signature-diamond-quilt-leather-interior-front-wm-black_b74b2423-f4d7-4afc-afa0-91b41e6f7ce7_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Her seats definitely look much better than the picture from Tsportline (she did mention on a different thread that they are from Tsportline). The diamond stitching in the picture looks very flat unlike in her car.

That was my thought too when the 3 was first announced. But I've been driving my sister's 3 for a few months now and while I wouldn't say I prefer only 1 screen to the 2 screens in S and X, the difference between the cars is much less than one might expect. In fact, it's really nice not having the instrument cluster screen because the view of the road is so much better.
Yeeessss! And when I put my parking pass on the dashboard at work, it stays put.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Mercedes interior design is definitely more ornate and that’s not to everyone’s taste. But even modern can be upscale eg in new Audis etc. 3 doesn’t feel like a $55k car. So I’d have to “fix” the interior if I get the 3. Being an EV is important but this feels like a compromise.

a178305_medium.jpg
The 3 doesn’t feel like a $55k ICE car because that’s not what it is. It’s important recognize what you’re paying for. It’s really a $25k car strapped onto a $30k battery pack. Nothing wrong upgrading the appointments if you’d like a more refined interior.
If you take a bit off of his commentary, Tampa is right. But also one must consider that all of that extra stuff you see in your photo is required to adjust various settings. The 3 only requires the single screen and it controls everything. I am very much an interior guy but I have just a single complaint so far; the lack of choices with the really releases. When production gets up to 5k cars a day, maybe even a tad sooner, we should see more interior options as far as color goes. Seriously, reading your lamentation about the lack of a 'more refined' interior is a bit of a shock since even with the X and the S, I feel the interior is very minimalist and spartan also (though not too the same degree as the 3). There is a new car coming that has a refined interior from Lucid called the Lucid Air. It has the look of luxury and starts at a luxury price.

While I like the proposed 400 mile range, I am not sold on the interior. It looks too cold and clinical, as if you should not drive it but instead be driven in it. Finally, the 3 is supposed to be an everybody car and when Tesla pumps out the standard range, you will see the price equal to what you appear to feel it's interior is worth. If you are balking at the current $49k starting price, then just wait till around 2019 for the lesser priced option. By then you may feel like you got what you paid for.

I do not regret my purchase so far. Like with many other $35k cars, you can option up and get to as much as $50k or more on the final total. And in each case the interiors are relatively stock so that manufacturers do not have to change much on the assembly lines to meet production goals. Cars like mustang even offer a somewhat different base for the pricier versions like the Bullitt. This is true for the S and the X.

Last edited:
Honestly, the biggest thing I find making the 3 look incomplete is the lack of an instrument cluster. The S and X interior don’t seem incomplete. I wish Tesla had just spent a few hundred dollars per car to add that to the 3.
I take it you have not driven it yet. This was my concern before we got the car. Now after 2,800 miles I greatly prefer the Tesla interior as it truly is more functional than any of my other cars.

looks great! the seats look like they are from Tsportline

is the dash carbon a wrap?

Thank you! Definitely adds a touch of extra comfort. I wish a wrap could achieve that kind of look! I shelled out for a complete replacement and loving it. I have people that pull up next to me in traffic and they notice the carbon fiber right away. It really looks amazing under the sun.

Eeek. I agree their photos don't do justice. The guys (and gals) over at the Tesla service center always compliment me on how good my seat upgrades look. I think its something you really need to see and feel in person.