Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cut and Polish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is the first time I've owned a car worth detailing so I'm learning all the jargon. Is a cut and polish safe? Would you do it to your MS?

This is not necessary on a new car. The cut uses an abrasive material and remover some of the clear coat and paint. It's only necessary with paint that's oxidized and or otherwise in needy condition. This is not the case with a new car fresh off the assembly line. that's not to say that some careful attention to finish imperfections won't be necessary, but that's done a micro-level.

Having said that, I'm not sure if it was the first few hand washes done by a neighborhood hand wash or my own jobs, but I already have swirls and a couple of scratches. None are terrible and aren't through the paint.

I probably won't polish until the end of the summer or maybe next spring, but I'll definitely be waxing a few times per year.

I've been using Griots Garage products and have tried Mother's as well.

Has anyone used any specific polish on the Model S or recommend a specific one?

Sent via Tapatalk.

Having said that, I'm not sure if it was the first few hand washes done by a neighborhood hand wash or my own jobs, but I already have swirls and a couple of scratches. None are terrible and aren't through the paint.

I probably won't polish until the end of the summer or maybe next spring, but I'll definitely be waxing a few times per year.

I've been using Griots Garage products and have tried Mother's as well.

Has anyone used any specific polish on the Model S or recommend a specific one?

Sent via Tapatalk.

I've been using Glare Professional with really good results..

Even if you have a few scratches and swirls, I'd still recommend putting on a sealant of some kind. Even if you don't want to do a full polish just yet, a sealant will help out until you do a polish a year or more out. IMHO, waxes make a car look good and put a nice slick surface, but only protects from the basic elements for a short period of time. A true sealant actually saves time since you really don't need to wax your car every month.

I've not used Glare, but the label suggests it has some fillers and/or filling properties that may hide some minor swirls and scratches. I believe it takes at least 2 coats, 1 coat to fill and then another to lock the previous coat as a sealant. Maybe others who've used Glare can comment on its filling capabilities to hide swirls and scratches.