Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cutting vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After some experimentation I managed to cut my drain (2020 LR) from 2.2KwH to 0.7 KwH per day (measured at the power meter). Seems the biggest contributor to the consumption was leaving it plugged in - unplugging the charge lead meant the car went to sleep without charging intermittently throughout the day. I also revoked all the tokens from any apps.
Hopefully thats useful but thats saved me a fiver a month :)

As a comparison my Renault Zoe is using about 0.6 Kwh per day at standby.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerbyDave
Interesting. For some time my car would only sleep in 15-minute increments. I played quite a bit with the TeslaFi settings with only minor differences. But my car was also plugged in whether it needed a charge or not. You know, a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla so they say.

Didn't plug in one day - now it sleeps constantly.

Before/after attached. Of course, YMMV.
Screenshot_20210611-184230_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210611-184207_Chrome.jpg

Looks like plugged is not so happy! I even tried scheduling my charger to only switch on half an hour a day - it appears the car doesn't sleep if the cable is in (active or not). Actually leaving TeslaFi (or equivalent) running seems to make marginal differences. I now just leave it unplugged as I only use it once a week or so.

Reactions: KArnold
After some experimentation I managed to cut my drain (2020 LR) from 2.2KwH to 0.7 KwH per day (measured at the power meter). Seems the biggest contributor to the consumption was leaving it plugged in - unplugging the charge lead meant the car went to sleep without charging intermittently throughout the day. I also revoked all the tokens from any apps.
Hopefully thats useful but thats saved me a fiver a month :)

As a comparison my Renault Zoe is using about 0.6 Kwh per day at standby.

Are you still leaving the car unplugged to cut down on your vampire drain? Any change since a year ago?

Neither my 3,X or S “incrementally” charges during the day. It might once every few days if it lost enough miles. There was a bug on the 3 for little while that constantly incrementally charged way to much (like if it dropped 1-2 miles it would re-top off).