Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber Lndr (Camper for Cybertruck)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lloyd

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2011
San Luis Obispo, CA

CyberLandr, the Disappearing Camper for Tesla Cybertruck​

x.gif

1200 pounds Is that with or without the water tank filled. How do you get it in and out of the truck? I see no supports on the slide in camper. All truck slide in campers have supports. You lower them down raise the camper up and drive the truck out or back the truck up under the camper. How is it secured in the bed? The article said when it isn't running off of solar it will run off of the traction battery. So it will be plugged into the battery pack. I wonder what the power draw will be for the HVAC system.

1200 pounds Is that with or without the water tank filled. How do you get it in and out of the truck? I see no supports on the slide in camper. All truck slide in campers have supports. You lower them down raise the camper up and drive the truck out or back the truck up under the camper. How is it secured in the bed? The article said when it isn't running off of solar it will run off of the traction battery. So it will be plugged into the battery pack. I wonder what the power draw will be for the HVAC system.
Maybe store it standing on end and tip it into a crouched CT?

1200 lbs dry, 1360 lbs wet (40 gal fresh, 20 gal gray). They talk about a dolly being developed to remove/install it into the truck -- no details other than that. Nothing about securing it to the bed yet. I assume it plugs into the outlet shown at the Cybertruck reveal and therefore could be using outside the truck as well.

I wrote elsewhere on TMC calling the presentation something like “...that wet dream of a CGI enthusiast”.
I would put my money where my mouth is: As it stands now, using that presentation as reference, were its creator a publicly traded company, I would abandon my long-held principles of not selling short and short the puppy all the way to zero.
When I get off this iPhone and to the computer (tomorrow?), I’d be happy to expound upon this Debby’s Downerism.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus
Far too much occupying my life to be able to devote what I need to my earlier-suggested criticism of the CyberLandr, so with apologies, here is the briefest skinny:
Truck bed's width is at most 64" wide. It is probably less, most specifically because Tesla announced they were shrinking the truck "by 5% in all dimesnions" but we'll use that number.
My Bowlus Road Chief, the most high-tech camper-trailer on the market, has walls that are one inch thick: aluminum skin, structure+insulation, interior skin. Double that for the CyberLandr's two sides, quadruple it for the four nesting portions....that's eight inches lost right there. You're down to an absolute maximum interior width of 56". How much is that? Take some tape and mark out a rectangle 56" wide by, most generously, 94" long. Now function inside it as you think you would in a camper. And I've not even subtracted for the interior partition of the bathroom wall. Granted, you do 'regain' some of those widths as the mechanism telescopes upwards...but not really, and even that only only only if some wall-internal mechanism solves the next item, as below.

All that is without incorporating the single most problematic, 'touchy' and probably expensive feature of the C'lr- its telescoping apparatus. Into that one-inch space would have to fit not just the farme, but the entire lifting mechanism - for each set of panels - and perform flawlessly without racking, which is the bug-a-bear of all multiple-axis liftings.

Those seats that convert into beds? A US standard twin (ie, 'single') mattress is 39" wide. That leaves (56-39)=17 inches of width inside the camper; or 23" if you somehow are still allowing only 1" width wall for this product - which width I suggested above is itself a fantasy.
ONE NIGHT is the absolute maximum I and my wife, each as slender people, ever would together use such a sleeping arrangement.

The disappearing sink apparatus - another problem waiting to bedevil owners and bankrupt the company. Telescoping solar panels present a similar off-showroom nightmare.

The batteries, inverter and wiring - more bulk needing to take up nigh nonexistent space.

Its door: It does just WHAT when its frame slices itself in four as the shell retracts? I've not created a solution; perhaps one exists.....if you can present it, please also do it for less than an astronomical, say, $500 cost.

Its attachment into the truck bed - this can be done but only at sacrificing yet more precious space.

Mounting it in the bed and all that weight on the hatch cover may be a problem I would rather remove the tailgate and have steps up to the slide in camper. rather than the ramp and have to stand at an angle while opening the door of the camper

Last edited:
In case someone tried to read my prior post without paying attention to the numbers: I showed the room taken up by ONE twin mattress. That’s 39” for two people.
Summary: those two chairs shown cannot suffice for two people to sleep on.

A little more: company claims two children can sleep under the adults’ bed. They didn’t think of showing just how impossible it is for four humans to sit down anywhere....the truth is there barely is room for two to stand up.

I sincerely hope no one on TMC put a down payment on this.

In case someone tried to read my prior post without paying attention to the numbers: I showed the room taken up by ONE twin mattress. That’s 39” for two people.
Summary: those two chairs shown cannot suffice for two people to sleep on.

A little more: company claims two children can sleep under the adults’ bed. They didn’t think of showing just how impossible it is for four humans to sit down anywhere....the truth is there barely is room for two to stand up.

I sincerely hope no one on TMC put a down payment on this.
For permanent housing: Agree. For 2-3-4 weeks roaming about for 2 people: Except that it has to be possible to sleep in the back seat instead of in the problematic way you describe, I think this may be a perfectly good «minimal solution». Intention is to be outside most of the time, but it provides everything you would otherwise have to «go somewhere» to find (or establish ad-hoc solutions for). Cooking, shower, toilet, Internet (Starlinked I would assume), and even adequate shelter if you _must_ stay inside... Bring food, plan for energy, go anywhere - that’s it. All in one (fairly) compact unit.

As one half of a couple that did that for many years, and several tens of thousands of miles, in a pickup with the largest topper available on the market, I can guarantee you that it is NOT viable for those in the Tesla market.

One person? Sure. Not for everybody but it would serve me. But not two. Not if you’re venturing farther than <hyperbole warning>, say, the nether-backest portion of Santa Barbara County.

I cannot agree with you.

Reactions: outdoors
Most I can do on the road, and "being outside" hiking, canoeing etc. is about one month. That is with an 23ft Airstream. Yeah the showers and toilets are nice, yet I wouldn't describe them as such. A couple days of non stop rain can make one a little more wanting to move around. Taking military showers after biking in a cold rain is yeah like no. I did that in my 20's. I don't do that in my 40's. Most people that I know say how cool it would be to do it. Yet till they do it, they rarely understand. It takes a rare breed, and I consider myself pretty rare.

In the Cyberlndr thing, I don't see us lasting more than a week.

I have done many times the month off grid. Gather the water from the river. Look at the mountains. Canoe everyday. Spot the bike at the end. It is fun, being outside. Yet it is very much so work. I just don't see many in this purchasing group really understanding what they are in for for that lifestyle. More than anything it will be a showpiece in a KOA or local state park with plugins.

Last edited:
40 grand let’s you flex on the poors.
Far too much occupying my life to be able to devote what I need to my earlier-suggested criticism of the CyberLandr, so with apologies, here is the briefest skinny:
Truck bed's width is at most 64" wide. It is probably less, most specifically because Tesla announced they were shrinking the truck "by 5% in all dimesnions" but we'll use that number.
My Bowlus Road Chief, the most high-tech camper-trailer on the market, has walls that are one inch thick: aluminum skin, structure+insulation, interior skin. Double that for the CyberLandr's two sides, quadruple it for the four nesting portions....that's eight inches lost right there. You're down to an absolute maximum interior width of 56". How much is that? Take some tape and mark out a rectangle 56" wide by, most generously, 94" long. Now function inside it as you think you would in a camper. And I've not even subtracted for the interior partition of the bathroom wall. Granted, you do 'regain' some of those widths as the mechanism telescopes upwards...but not really, and even that only only only if some wall-internal mechanism solves the next item, as below.

All that is without incorporating the single most problematic, 'touchy' and probably expensive feature of the C'lr- its telescoping apparatus. Into that one-inch space would have to fit not just the farme, but the entire lifting mechanism - for each set of panels - and perform flawlessly without racking, which is the bug-a-bear of all multiple-axis liftings.

Those seats that convert into beds? A US standard twin (ie, 'single') mattress is 39" wide. That leaves (56-39)=17 inches of width inside the camper; or 23" if you somehow are still allowing only 1" width wall for this product - which width I suggested above is itself a fantasy.
ONE NIGHT is the absolute maximum I and my wife, each as slender people, ever would together use such a sleeping arrangement.

The disappearing sink apparatus - another problem waiting to bedevil owners and bankrupt the company. Telescoping solar panels present a similar off-showroom nightmare.

The batteries, inverter and wiring - more bulk needing to take up nigh nonexistent space.

Its door: It does just WHAT when its frame slices itself in four as the shell retracts? I've not created a solution; perhaps one exists.....if you can present it, please also do it for less than an astronomical, say, $500 cost.

Its attachment into the truck bed - this can be done but only at sacrificing yet more precious space.
Also despite being 1200 pounds it only affects range by 5 percent..... 🤔

according to them the bed are a camper queen. Which would make the chairs 30” wi

RV Short Queen60” x 74” 60” x 75”

Maybe a 3/4 queen...

• A three-quarter queen mattress measures 48”x75”

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru