Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber truck will be the best selling vehicle ever

Will the cybertruck be the last car you purchase?

• Yes, if it can last 1,000,000 miles

Votes: 55 50.5%
  • No, It has a face only a mother can love

Votes: 54 49.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it has Android Auto I'm sure I can live with it. I have Android Auto in my ICE car and I don't mind it at all. In some ways it's better than the Tesla Nav especially when it comes to the actual navigation part, notifications from messenger apps, etc.

The thing about the Ford is that it's actually in preproduction and they are gearing up for deliveries. With the Cybertruck, only one prototype is in existence and Tesla hasn't even finished the battery tech for that yet.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
If it has Android Auto I'm sure I can live with it. I have Android Auto in my ICE car and I don't mind it at all. In some ways it's better than the Tesla Nav especially when it comes to the actual navigation part, notifications from messenger apps, etc.

The thing about the Ford is that it's actually in preproduction and they are gearing up for deliveries. With the Cybertruck, only one prototype is in existence and Tesla hasn't even finished the battery tech for that yet.
That is not accurate regarding the battery..

The big news: The reliable yield in the Tesla Prototype Kato Road Battery Factory is now reported to be high enough for profitable production. Some manufacturing processes are being smoothed out as the battery output speed is increased. The current output is being used for battery testing, vehicle installation design, and inventory for upcoming and unnamed vehicles (Cybertruck, Semi, and others).

From the article Exciting Updates On Tesla Battery Production Progress

That is not accurate regarding the battery..

The big news: The reliable yield in the Tesla Prototype Kato Road Battery Factory is now reported to be high enough for profitable production. Some manufacturing processes are being smoothed out as the battery output speed is increased. The current output is being used for battery testing, vehicle installation design, and inventory for upcoming and unnamed vehicles (Cybertruck, Semi, and others).

From the article Exciting Updates On Tesla Battery Production Progress

I'm not sold on this. The first words in the article are "Don’t take all this as gospel, since it is not official, and lots of info “out there” turns out to be incorrect"

But I can tell you right now that the Cybertruck is pretty hard to beat at $50k/ $70k for 300 miles/ 500 miles range respectively.

*if* the Cybertruck is hitting the road at that price - AND - those specs. and that's a big *if*.

kinda like that ultra long range Model S Plaid+ (cancelled) ; the Tesla Semi (delayed again) and the Tesla Roadster 2...

all we have is computer renderings / maybe 2-3 functioning prototypes and specs limited to price/ range/ towing.

only a fool is expecting that Tesla will meet their 2019 price point / specs with a truck likely not hitting the roads until 2023...
It is not the 2019 price point/ specs, it's the 2021 price point. You can still pre-order it at those prices.

Seems silly to assume Tesla would continue accepting pre-orders advertising a price they cannot meet. If they couldn't meet it, they would presumably either take the site down or increase the price.

Every day they advertise a price they know they can't meet increases the pain and uncertainty they will have to deal with later on.

They are building half of an absolutely massive multi-billion dollar factory specifically to make this truck. They just installed a billion dollar machine to stamp out the rear end for it. Are they going to invest all this money and effort only to cancel it? Or shoot themselves in the foot by changing the pricing at the last minute?

Right now Tesla has a pretty clear picture of demand. If they change pricing significantly, how many cancellations will there be? This whole idea is just weird.

Last edited:
It is not the 2019 price point/ specs, it's the 2021 price point. You can still pre-order it at those prices.

Seems silly to assume Tesla would continue accepting pre-orders advertising a price they cannot meet. If they couldn't meet it, they would presumably either take the site down or increase the price.

Every day they advertise a price they know they can't meet increases the pain and uncertainty they will have to deal with later on.

They are building half of an absolutely massive multi-billion dollar factory specifically to make this truck. They just installed a billion dollar machine to stamp out the rear end for it. Are they going to invest all this money and effort only to cancel it? Or shoot themselves in the foot by changing the pricing at the last minute?

Right now Tesla has a pretty clear picture of demand. If they change pricing significantly, how many cancellations will there be? This whole idea is just weird.
Well to be fair there is disclaimer that pricing is not final. And I am pretty sure that price will be up to at least 5k from what it is stated. I hope I am wrong about that.

Last edited:
Well to be fair there is disclaimer that pricing is not final. And I am pretty sure that price will be up to at least 5k from what it is stated.
Keep in mind, the single most expensive component on the truck is the battery. The cost of batteries has not increased over the past 2 years for Tesla.

My feeling here is options are going to be expensive and appealing at the same time. I can see the solar option, truck wraps, and tire options all being pricey.

Also, if they release the tri motor version first, they have a lot more wiggle room for profit. Their cost on the batteries and drivetrain are likely only $10-12k more than the dual motor. Also, if they pull the same move they did with the Model 3 and wait until the very tail end to release the base CT, they won't have to worry about that until 2025 or later.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Anyone else losing interest in the Cyber truck?

No news since the prototype unveiling at this point.

The F150 and Rivian both look pretty good. Love the fact that the F150 has an actual sunroof.

I'd probably get the F150 but seems I'm already too late for a 2022 delivery date.
Cyber Truck? Whats that?

Agreed. These whiners aren't going to buy a CT so why would Tesla listen and cater to these non-customers?

>1M pre-orders (with the yoke) has told Tesla everything they need to know.
Um... so they can get more customers? By definition the population of people who own the the new Model S are people who thought they would be okay with the yoke in the first place. Mountains of confirmation and survivorship bias here. An unknown but probably high percentage of people (like myself) treat it as a total hard no. I was interested in the CT when it was first unveiled because I like the design and specs. I did not give much thought to the yoke and on-screen shifting, because I literally did not think Tesla would be bone-headed enough to bring something like that to market and this was just typical concept-car nonsense. They have proven me wrong obviously...

Well lets look at what Rivian did.

They originally started taking reservations for their truck in late 2018. They were slated to begin deliveries at the end of 2020 and delayed their launch by a year. Same fundamental pricing pressures as Tesla.

Oddly enough, they didn't raise their prices.

Weird, if this was inevitable, you'd have thought it would be industry wide. Is there some localized thing that will make Tesla raise prices? What about Ford? Are they raising their prices?

Reactions: CyberGus
Public (non-Tesla) charging is a disaster at this time. Between stations being off line, session errors, ICE'd, "removed for maintenance" and never replaced, etc.. etc.. etc.. there is no way to know for sure that the station you used to plan your road trip yesterday will be available today or even next week on the way home.

With that in mind, not everyone uses public charging because their EV is their local driver. For long trips, we still take the ICE SUV because we are 100% certain there will be a gas station to refill along the way or at our destination. If you must EV roadtrip, Tesla has the only reliable charging network at this time.