Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber truck will be the best selling vehicle ever

Will the cybertruck be the last car you purchase?

• Yes, if it can last 1,000,000 miles

Votes: 55 50.5%
  • No, It has a face only a mother can love

Votes: 54 49.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Public (non-Tesla) charging is a disaster at this time. Between stations being off line, session errors, ICE'd, "removed for maintenance" and never replaced, etc.. etc.. etc.. there is no way to know for sure that the station you used to plan your road trip yesterday will be available today or even next week on the way home.

With that in mind, not everyone uses public charging because their EV is their local driver. For long trips, we still take the ICE SUV because we are 100% certain there will be a gas station to refill along the way or at our destination. If you must EV roadtrip, Tesla has the only reliable charging network at this time.
Ironically, Tesla's offer to open up the Supercharger network may ultimately be what makes many of these other cars viable for long distance travel.

Enabling the competition isn't ideal for Tesla auto, but for Tesla as a whole seems like a a huge opportunity. Also for the "Tesla Mission" of eliminating ICE.

Reactions: henderrj
Um... so they can get more customers? By definition the population of people who own the the new Model S are people who thought they would be okay with the yoke in the first place. Mountains of confirmation and survivorship bias here. An unknown but probably high percentage of people (like myself) treat it as a total hard no. I was interested in the CT when it was first unveiled because I like the design and specs. I did not give much thought to the yoke and on-screen shifting, because I literally did not think Tesla would be bone-headed enough to bring something like that to market and this was just typical concept-car nonsense. They have proven me wrong obviously...
Really. they Are that bone headed.

As for the million plus deposits of only $100.00, well we will see how that goes.

Public (non-Tesla) charging is a disaster at this time. Between stations being off line, session errors, ICE'd, "removed for maintenance" and never replaced, etc.. etc.. etc.. there is no way to know for sure that the station you used to plan your road trip yesterday will be available today or even next week on the way home.

With that in mind, not everyone uses public charging because their EV is their local driver. For long trips, we still take the ICE SUV because we are 100% certain there will be a gas station to refill along the way or at our destination. If you must EV roadtrip, Tesla has the only reliable charging network at this time.
And yet, Crazy Elon wants to open the number one advantage Tesla has over its competitors.

It is not the 2019 price point/ specs, it's the 2021 price point. You can still pre-order it at those prices.

Seems silly to assume Tesla would continue accepting pre-orders advertising a price they cannot meet. If they couldn't meet it, they would presumably either take the site down or increase the price.

Every day they advertise a price they know they can't meet increases the pain and uncertainty they will have to deal with later on.

They are building half of an absolutely massive multi-billion dollar factory specifically to make this truck. They just installed a billion dollar machine to stamp out the rear end for it. Are they going to invest all this money and effort only to cancel it? Or shoot themselves in the foot by changing the pricing at the last minute?

Right now Tesla has a pretty clear picture of demand. If they change pricing significantly, how many cancellations will there be? This whole idea is just weird.
are you sure that's for the CT and not the Model Y ? Because Austin will be cranking out Model Y's all day long... a +$50k car with a smaller battery and nice margins.

Reactions: TessP100D
Then buy the Rivian Now, because in 2023 Tesla will not be delivering the CT.
yup. Rivian road tested pre-production vehicles for well over a year to iron out kinks... as far as we know there's one (maybe two?) Tesla CT prototypes and they are nowhere near doing road testing on a larger fleet. Heck - we haven't even seen production specs and pictures *with* mirrors

Reactions: TessP100D
are you sure that's for the CT and not the Model Y ? Because Austin will be cranking out Model Y's all day long... a +$50k car with a smaller battery and nice margins.
The factory has 2 halves. The Model Y portion is almost complete and will likely be cranking our cars by year end. The Cybertruck portion is a bit behind.

They don't need the bigger gigapress for the Model Y.

Margins will be fine on the Cybertruck. It was designed from the ground to be easy to manufacture and profitable. That is why it looks the way it looks.

yup. Rivian road tested pre-production vehicles for well over a year to iron out kinks... as far as we know there's one (maybe two?) Tesla CT prototypes and they are nowhere near doing road testing on a larger fleet. Heck - we haven't even seen production specs and pictures *with* mirrors
When we see the beta trucks will be a good sign of where they are in the process. Usually Tesla pushes out their beta cars about 6 months before release.

Tesla is pushing hard on the no mirrors thing. They've even procured a bunch of cameras. Unless they get a hard NO from regulators, the beta trucks are likely to have no mirrors.

You are aware, Rivian was originally launched in 2018 and was supposed to release in 2020? Also Rivian has delivered exactly 1 truck to a single "customer". They are not manufacturing a dozen trucks a week, let alone 100s.

PS: Why was Rivian able to launch and keep their 3 year old pricing intact?

Last edited:
Exactly. CyberTruck. Wet dream.

When we see the beta trucks will be a good sign of where they are in the process. Usually Tesla pushes out their beta cars about 6 months before release.

Tesla is pushing hard on the no mirrors thing. They've even procured a bunch of cameras. Unless they get a hard NO from regulators, the beta trucks are likely to have no mirrors.

You are aware, Rivian was originally launched in 2018 and was supposed to release in 2020? Also Rivian has delivered exactly 1 truck to a single "customer". They are not manufacturing a dozen trucks a week, let alone 100s.
Man…. How’s the Kool-Aid?

PS: Why was Rivian able to launch and keep their 3 year old pricing intact?
current regulation states you NEED mirrors in a car sold in the US. That's why Audi isn't selling the etron here with digital side mirrors.

So Tesla is getting a hard NO from regulators.

And "BETA" trucks can't just ignore regulations ... that's why we won't see driverless robotaxis anytime soon either

• Disagree
Reactions: Bridor and WhiteWi
Seems more like a soft "no"

From the article:

• Camera-based rear visibility systems’ displays will make driving unsafe, as compared to traditional mirrors. - I doubt this is true for the CT with the vault cover on.

• Camera-based rear visibility systems and new technology will further remove the human from the driving task. - A human eye looking at a mirror vs. a human eye looking at an image. This point makes no sense.

Someone is upset about Cybertruck 😂
nah. but this thread all started with a fully delusional claim: "I believe the Cybertruck will fundamentally change car ownership forever. It is sad but this will probably my last new car purchase because this vehicle will last me decades, is fast, cheap to maintain and purchase, and can drive itself."

i accept some level of Kool-Aid but it will last decades and have L5 autonomy is hilarious as a take