Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber truck will be the best selling vehicle ever

Will the cybertruck be the last car you purchase?

• Yes, if it can last 1,000,000 miles

Votes: 55 50.5%
  • No, It has a face only a mother can love

Votes: 54 49.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should watch the Elon interview on YouTube with The Everyday Astronaut (3 part series). One of things he discusses is his engineering philosophy: you must constantly remove parts and features from a project, or else it turns into a bloated, convoluted mess. "If you never add things back in, then you're not removing enough."

So maybe Elon will agree that removing the stalks was too much, and add them back in.

DF1typnW0AAyhy8.jpg

Reactions: Ogre and rhumbliner
Do you understand how a yoke works? With small turns the yoke turns more than large turns. The yoke never goes past 90 degrees. So making small turns will be easy and making large turns will be easy as you do not have to do hand over hand. I am very much looking forward to having a yoke in the cybertruck. You guys are acting like people before smart phones - "why in the world do I need a phone with a screen - what a waste!!!"...

I also like no stalks - wouldn't it be cool if the car determined based on either your position on the road or the route you have in the GPS that it needs to put on the turn signal.

Brent

Reactions: WhiteWi
Do you understand how a yoke works? With small turns the yoke turns more than large turns. The yoke never goes past 90 degrees. So making small turns will be easy and making large turns will be easy as you do not have to do hand over hand. I am very much looking forward to having a yoke in the cybertruck. You guys are acting like people before smart phones - "why in the world do I need a phone with a screen - what a waste!!!"...

I also like no stalks - wouldn't it be cool if the car determined based on either your position on the road or the route you have in the GPS that it needs to put on the turn signal.

Brent
wrong... that would be drive-by-wire which Tesla doesn't have but which would be the proper foundation for using a yoke.
The yoke currently in the cars is basically a chopped off steering wheel. nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: Revolver3131

Brent
First, that is not how Tesla's yoke works. Its just a less functional wheel.

Second drive by wire yokes are designed for driving under specific scenarios like oh a race track. This is drastically different from regular every day driving. The needs and requirements of the controls are different. The stalkless yoke Tesla has implemented literally adds *zero*, nada, zilch, zip, NO benefits and it reduces functionality, and it reduces safety. Literally all it does is add "cool" in Elon's words. That's idiotic at best.

Although I understand your frustration, I think I will reserve judgment until I actually get a chance to drive one of these things. As to the advantages of the stalkless design, from a hardware standpoint it is much simpler. Thus saving money, allowing better software control, warming Elon's practicality heart. So it isn't absolutely without advantage. Whether it's of any advantage in driving, now there is a good question!

Oh yeah, and that stock would look really weird hanging out there with the yoke a quarter turned.
There is zero need to "wait and see". It literally is less safe and less functional, that is an objective fact. There are literally no advantages or benefits to it, another objective fact. I don't ever need to even see it in person much less drive it to know this.

Re: Saving money we don't know that it saves money that's your guess.

There is zero need to "wait and see". It literally is less safe and less functional, that is an objective fact. There are literally no advantages or benefits to it, another objective fact. I don't ever need to even see it in person much less drive it to know this.

The yoke is literally safer, since it improves visibility. Objective fact!
The yoke is literally more functional, since it has more buttons. Objective fact!
I don't need to have actual data to claim objective facts!

Brent
So,your saying the yoke has ratio steering controls? Are you sure ?

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
oh we are back to "if you don't like the brilliant yoke you are a bad driver" ... it literally is a solution in desperate search of a problem.
it's going to be much easier to hook up a trailer with the Cybertruck due to 4 wheel steering and the backup camera. Whether you are handling a yoke or a wheel is likely not going to affect this a bit. Has nothing to do with being a good or bad driver.

4 wheel steering, means you will need a lot less steering input to reverse under the tow ball. Cameras mean you don't need to look over your shoulder which is good because the view out the back is going to be absolutely horrible without the cameras.

The overwhelming majority of people who have tried Tesla's yoke's do not like it. Why is that not the end of the discussion?
I'd love to see this survey and the methodology behind it.

I'm pretty neutral on the yoke (Not sure I'll like it or not), but backing strong opinions with weird unprovable claims about things you haven't used isn't convincing.

I’ll add this quote from Henry Ford to this frothy conversation. It appeared in an article Inc. entitled “ Why Tesla Copies This 1 Lesson From Ford’s 112-Year Old Playbook”.

“if people were asked what they wanted, people would have asked for faster horses.”

In other words, asking your audience what they want isn't necessarily the way to give them what they really want. The best businesses know that people don't always know what they want, because people--unlike businesses--don't necessarily know what's possible.

I’ll add this quote from Henry Ford to this frothy conversation. It appeared in an article Inc. entitled “ Why Tesla Copies This 1 Lesson From Ford’s 112-Year Old Playbook”.

“if people were asked what they wanted, people would have asked for faster horses.”

In other words, asking your audience what they want isn't necessarily the way to give them what they really want. The best businesses know that people don't always know what they want, because people--unlike businesses--don't necessarily know what's possible.
Great quote. Although I feel like there's a fine line between this and hubris. It certainly works for a moment of inspired invention, but probably not aa the everyday philosophy of a company. I site the Bitcoin purchase.

I see a lot of 3/4 ton and up pickups where I live. They out number 1/2 trucks. An electric truck the equivalent of a 4500 Ram. With a flat bed crew cab and a provision for a gooseneck hitch with the same or better towing capacity and the same range towing for a price of around 55,000 to 70,000 dollars would sell like crazy