Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyberquad Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the recall for a full refund $1,900 they require you to send in the motor controller. It’s a 9 plug controller for the 36v 500w motor.

Anyone already upgrade the motor or controller? Looking to get a replacement and higher powered one after I send in the factory controller for the recall, so curious if anyone already upgraded and if so what they used.

Seems like it shouldn’t be hard with the variety of controllers available for scooters and e-bikes on AliExpress.

With the recall for a full refund $1,900 they require you to send in the motor controller. It’s a 9 plug controller for the 36v 500w motor.

Anyone already upgrade the motor or controller? Looking to get a replacement and higher powered one after I send in the factory controller for the recall, so curious if anyone already upgraded and if so what they used.

Seems like it shouldn’t be hard with the variety of controllers available for scooters and e-bikes on AliExpress.
let us know what you find, if it's easy to switch I may return the motor as well.

Reactions: RJ Dibble
Unfortunately it’s a brushless controller. Im pretty sure the 500w motor is a standard brushed motor.

I have found 2 options so far:

Factory motor cheap swap, cheaper I’m sure on AliExpress but no reverse.

L-faster 36V48V 1000W Scooter Brush Motor Controller Motor Controller for Tricycle Scooter Brushed Controller https://a.co/gT86t57

But now that I have an excuse to upgrade and go bigger faster better, controller and motor upgrade to brushless:

Again cheaper on AliExpressif you don’t mind the 30-60 day lead time. Has reverse, 3 speed instead of two so would need to figure out the switch, but brushless 36v 1000w motor and controller.

36V Electric Brushless DC Motor Kits 1000W BLDC Mid Motor 3100RPM 27.7A with 30A Speed Controller Handlebar Twist Grip Throttle Go Kart Motor Kit https://a.co/1tFVkL3

Unless I find something else or the motor mounts don’t line up I’ll go with the brushless upgrade, $200 - $50 recycling fee you can also get besides the refund sounds like a good deal to me.

So I got mine running at a kind of semi-functionality with the $17 controller from Amazon. But it was not trivial. None of the connectors matched up right out of the box. So i ended up cutting wires and splicing with wire nuts. Actually one connector was right (motor power) but it defaulted to reverse, so i bought a 4 pole reversing switch to restore functionality (i couldn’t use the main reversing switch for some reason ). So I repurposed that switch for headlights on/off. And the speed 1/2 switch is now power on/off. Also, the battery connector (in the quad itself) was physically attached to the motor control unit. So I considered cutting it off but was afraid I wouldn’t get the recall money, so I split a standard plug in half (like wall outlet plug) and secured it with hot glue, etc and it works great.

So, I got everything to work except taillights. The wiring is there for that, I just got tired of the project. Probably spent three hours. Still haven’t gotten my refund check, soooo maybe not worth it?

This one:

And here’s the reversing switch I used:

Reactions: SkynetT10000
So I got mine running at a kind of semi-functionality with the $17 controller from Amazon. But it was not trivial. None of the connectors matched up right out of the box. So i ended up cutting wires and splicing with wire nuts. Actually one connector was right (motor power) but it defaulted to reverse, so i bought a 4 pole reversing switch to restore functionality (i couldn’t use the main reversing switch for some reason ). So I repurposed that switch for headlights on/off. And the speed 1/2 switch is now power on/off. Also, the battery connector (in the quad itself) was physically attached to the motor control unit. So I considered cutting it off but was afraid I wouldn’t get the recall money, so I split a standard plug in half (like wall outlet plug) and secured it with hot glue, etc and it works great.

So, I got everything to work except taillights. The wiring is there for that, I just got tired of the project. Probably spent three hours. Still haven’t gotten my refund check, soooo maybe not worth it?

This one:

And here’s the reversing switch I used:

Thannks for the update, going to try as well.

None of either the controller or other options I have seen will fit the connectors without having to cut wires or change plugs.

After receiving my recall check I finally pulled the trigger and got a 1000W Brushless DC Motor kit with a 36V 3100rpm 27.7A Speed Controller that has reverse.

Also ordered a pair of brake levers so I can have a motor low brake and a motor high brake/disc brake.

Reviews of wiring on the motor kit were terrible but people were able to figure it out. Hopefully I can get it installed and figured out in the next couple weeks.

Will post results and wiring pics once done.

Also, the battery connector (in the quad itself) was physically attached to the motor control unit. So I considered cutting it off but was afraid I wouldn’t get the recall money

I tried contacting customer service to see if I could just cut the wires, said I was having problems removing the controller, so I could have the connectors and the battery plate but that went into a technical support thread wanting pictures etc. So I kept all the controller wires intact but broke the solder off the battery wiring plate and kept it.

I got my check without an issue so seems they don’t care.