Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck 240v output power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard what the power rating would be on the 240v output? We recently had solar installed but did not opt to add battery storage. So if the power goes out, even during the day, we don't have power because the inverters are grid tied and need incoming power to be active. The thought was power goes out so rarely for us (maybe a handful of times over the last 15 years and not for more than a few hours at most) the value wasn't there. Better option for an emergency would be a small generator. I have reservation for tri-motor and pack on that should be ~200kWh, equivalent to ~14 Powerwalls, plenty of capacity. I would add a rearrange the configuration, add cutoff, etc. as necessary, then could run the inverters off the truck's 240. Probably minimal drain during the day as solar would provide power then. Just run critical circuits overnight if there was an extended outage. Does that seem feasible?

I'm also interested in how much power you could push through the cybertrucks 240 output. Most likely it will depend on the power connector they choose to use.

Just because people will want to use it to do do conventional tools and welding equipment; I have to imagine they will use something conventional (NEMA receptacles) for compatibility. They could go with conventional NEMA plugs and I imagine they would use either a 30 or 50 amp socket... if 30 amp socket, you'd be looking at 7.2kW, if 50 amp; 12kW.
I also imagine they'd throw a standard 120V 5-20R next to it as well.

I'd imagine they do at LEAST a 30 amp socket, might be wishful thinking for a 50 amp.
Obviously this is all speculation.

I would just have a generator for the House. I would keep the Cybertruck fully charged If the loads on the house drain the truck too much you have no way of charging the truck up
I wonder. It could be (theoretically) possible to charge the truck while also providing power through the 240v? I have a two other vehicles so the fact the truck is feeding the house wouldn't be an issue. If I'm only running emergency circuits (fridge, etc.) I think there would be a good chance the solar could top the truck up during the day to run over night. If people can run off grid days at a time with solar and a few Powerwalls, I think the same should be possible with the Cybertruck.

I wonder. It could be (theoretically) possible to charge the truck while also providing power through the 240v? I have a two other vehicles so the fact the truck is feeding the house wouldn't be an issue. If I'm only running emergency circuits (fridge, etc.) I think there would be a good chance the solar could top the truck up during the day to run over night. If people can run off grid days at a time with solar and a few Powerwalls, I think the same should be possible with the Cybertruck.

It wouldn't be that hard. All Tesla would have to do is make the 240v inverter bi-directional... the same type of inverter currently in their powerwalls. It could AC couple to your grid-tied solar and use surplus energy to charge the truck.

I say no way to 50A. Atlis is promising a 240V/30A plug in the bed. I think that will be the benchmark. I think Tesla will allow the CT to be a Powerwall but not on Day 1. A fair amount of back-end, electronics, and software to make that happen. They will be happy to just get them out the door as soon as possible.