Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck 4 motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Elon mentioned that a 4motor version of the truck would be coming out, AND that it would be produced first.
During the earnings call, Musk said the Cybertruck would get Tesla’s next-generation Hardware 4 suite of sensors and computers for driver-assist tech but didn’t provide an update on specifications, which have fluctuated a bit since the truck was unveiled. At the time, Musk said the Cybertruck would be offered in single-motor rear-wheel drive and dual-motor and tri-motor all-wheel drive configurations, but in 2021 he also mentioned a four-motor version, saying it would be the first produced.

I wanted to start this thread to try and gather info about this new version.

So a few questions off the bat.

1. I reserved a tri-motor way back in 2019. Will we get the option to change our tri motor reservation for a quad motor? Or is there some other process to get on the 4motor list?

2. Also is the tri motor like a ludicrous model and the 4motor like a plaid? My guess is if the tri motor model predicted 0-60 speeds in he 3sec range, e quad moor would be ine 2 second range, which would be sick fora bihearuck.

3. And last, what do we think the weight/battery would be on a r motor version?

Curious as to what others think know.

So Elon mentioned that a 4motor version of the truck would be coming out, AND that it would be produced first.

I wanted to start this thread to try and gather info about this new version.

So a few questions off the bat.

1. I reserved a tri-motor way back in 2019. Will we get the option to change our tri motor reservation for a quad motor? Or is there some other process to get on the 4motor list?

2. Also is the tri motor like a ludicrous model and the 4motor like a plaid? My guess is if the tri motor model predicted 0-60 speeds in he 3sec range, e quad moor would be ine 2 second range, which would be sick fora bihearuck.

3. And last, what do we think the weight/battery would be on a r motor version?

Curious as to what others think know.

It is not 100% to me if they are offering the tri-motor version still but I have hopes after seeing the Tesla Semi new layout and design of a single plaid front motor for cruising and engaging the two plaid motors geared differently for acceleration. I would lean toward the tri-motor myself at this point for the cost-benefit advantage. As well after having a Sig Model X, I'd probably rather having a more mature Cybertruck (ie. not first group of quads). Although TBH they treated me with dealing with hiccups and the sig (FWDs, a cooling issue, etc).

lXWr8Jh.jpg

Reactions: zombiefysicist
I don't think I've read this but was guessing they'd use the plaid motors in the Cybertruck. Is this a bad guess? Motors and drive units seem pretty light. Doesn't seem like much difference between a tri and quad configuration.

How much does a plaid [motor] weigh?
The Motor itself with stator/field, rotor, and housing only weighs 99 LBS/45 KG. The rest of the drive unit adds about 110 LBS/50 KG for a total of about 210 LBS/95 KG." The Model S Plaid is the first and only Tesla with three drive motors - one in the front, and two for the independent drive of the rear wheels. Oct 26, 2021

This is frustrating with so many changes. It’s like they really didn’t think about what they wanted the truck to be or what they wanted it to have.
To me they seem to change as other manufacturers bring out their offerings. This thing is still in development phase and nowhere near production
Was there something other these two? four-wheel steering & quad motors

Has anyone heard how one goes about getting a 4 motor reservation? Will it be offered to everyone with a reservation? Is there some new reservation process for it? Will it be offered only to 3 motor reservations.
I follows it fairly closely and no one knows as it has not be released / tweeted / etc.
You would have no problem finding information about it if they did since it would have been in various articles and post. There are also CyberTruck specific forums out that there talk about any news at great length.
Maybe Investor Day announcement since it is a major product in 2023.

Tesla wrote about the event in a press release:
We plan to host Tesla’s 2023 Investor Day on March 1, 2023. The event will be live streamed from our Gigafactory Texas, with the option for some of our institutional and retail investors to attend in person (details to follow). Our investors will be able to see our most advanced production line as well as discuss long term expansion plans, generation 3 platform, capital allocation and other subjects with our leadership team.

Last edited:
Since Tesla took down the specifics for reservations the way it will work is as follows. Your reservation is a place holder... you will receive an email to configure your CT. This will show options and price.

Related to price expect the 4 motor to be over $100k, just like Plaid versions of S / X.
So I’m not totally sure this is right. Maybe you’re right. But when I go on my reservation, I see that I have my specific model reserved. Namely, a tri motor. But I see if you try to reserve some thing now they don’t let you configure it, you will have an unconfigured reservation.

I vaguely recall hearing that people that reserved early enough where they have a specific model reserved, that there’s a chance that that model and the price at the time will be honored.

I really don’t remember where I heard that. And just because I heard it, even if it came from a good source, does it mean that will be the case when the truck finally comes out. But what I do know is my specific reservation definitely indicates the details that I picked out for that model.

So I’m not totally sure this is right. Maybe you’re right. But when I go on my reservation, I see that I have my specific model reserved. Namely, a tri motor. But I see if you try to reserve some thing now they don’t let you configure it, you will have an unconfigured reservation.

I vaguely recall hearing that people that reserved early enough where they have a specific model reserved, that there’s a chance that that model and the price at the time will be honored.

I really don’t remember where I heard that. And just because I heard it, even if it came from a good source, does it mean that will be the case when the truck finally comes out. But what I do know is my specific reservation definitely indicates the details that I picked out for that model.
See your Pre-Order Agreement --- they have a lot of leeway in their language (estimate, subject to change, etc)

5nH8ocC.jpg

@scottf200 i don’t doubt for a second they are free to change the price. I just recall reading somewhere they stated they intend to honor that early pricing and make a one motor model at that price for those that reserved. It could be wishful thinking on my part and I don’t remember where I heard it… it’s been so long, at this point my mind could have made it up.

@scottf200 i don’t doubt for a second they are free to change the price. I just recall reading somewhere they stated they intend to honor that early pricing and make a one motor model at that price for those that reserved. It could be wishful thinking on my part and I don’t remember where I heard it… it’s been so long, at this point my mind could have made it up.
Tesla has never done this! The 3 and Y all had lower price announced when people reserved then when you get the option to configure you see the price.

Also Teslas language changes depending on reservation or deposit. If the car is not in production it’s a reservation with nothing locked in except you have a spot in line. A deposit, when the car is in production locks price and base features.

Tesla is very clear about this and they have history related to this topic.

Tesla has never done this! The 3 and Y all had lower price announced when people reserved then when you get the option to configure you see the price.

Also Teslas language changes depending on reservation or deposit. If the car is not in production it’s a reservation with nothing locked in except you have a spot in line. A deposit, when the car is in production locks price and base features.

Tesla is very clear about this and they have history related to this topic.

When they opened up the pre-order page for the model 3, other than $35k for the "base trim", nothing else was specified: Pricing of options, I hope the Model 3 is reasonable.

The CT was different, since they actually specified the price with the trim levels. Not sure how they're going to handle this.