Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck and superchargers

Kognos

May 20, 2019
Portland, OR
I recently had a nice but short trip from OR to CA and had a chance to enjoy some superchargers. I felt like the standard spots were a little tight. I mean, lets just say we all kinda know a "good" parking spot vs a "really small" one, and the supercharger parking spots are pretty much average/good for people who park well.

Having said that - and my point for this thread - I don't feel that the current supercharger network has the width in its parking spots to handle the Cybertruck, or worse -- it will now be agonizingly tight to park next to one, or feel like you're scraping your neighbor's paint as you back up.

Thoughts?

Nairb

Jul 7, 2019
BC
Not to mention also that with the charge port close to the rear wheel well, won't it be quite a stretch to reach that with current supercharger cable lengths? If I'm correct, isn't it also currently a fairly tight fit with the S, X, and 3 that have the charge port near the tail light wrap around?

The production version could have the port closer to the rear corner for better reach, but what if one has a longer load in the truck with the tailgate down? There don't seem to be very many pull through chargers, many locations seem to only have one, or none in some cases.

Oct 12, 2016
MD
Love to see one parked next to a 3 or S for size. I noticed in some of the ride footage there were 3s going for rides at the same time - but hard to get both in same frame.

yobigd20

Oct 28, 2012
Skaneateles, NY
Love to see one parked next to a 3 or S for size. I noticed in some of the ride footage there were 3s going for rides at the same time - but hard to get both in same frame.
the truck is 20’ long, 3 feet longer than the Model S. This makes parking it inside a standard 20’ size garage out of the question. And just completely forget about trying to park it in cities lol

JohnSnowNW

Feb 13, 2015
Minnesota
the truck is 20’ long, 3 feet longer than the Model S. This makes parking it inside a standard 20’ size garage out of the question. And just completely forget about trying to park it in cities lol

According to the internets an Avg. garage is 22' deep. I see lots of F150's parked in the cities...but I do live in the Midwest.

yobigd20

Oct 28, 2012
Skaneateles, NY
According to the internets an Avg. garage is 22' deep. I see lots of F150's parked in the cities...but I do live in the Midwest.
I park on the side streets in nyc every week with my model S. 95% of the time I need to parallel park with less than 6-12” on each side. So 3’ bigger would make this completely impossible to do as none of the available open spots to park have enough room.

Mark Z

Mar 12, 2013
North Orange County
Likely not with your garage door cutting into that 2”
I carefully measured and the spare room includes the extra space needed for garage door bracing thickness. Lowering the door manually the first time will make sense.

I could leave the Cybertruck outside as I did the Escalade while garaging two Model S. Thankfully, that won’t be necessary if the final version isn’t longer.

AltLogic

May 14, 2018
SoCal
Did anyone else bother to compare the width of the cybertruck to a model X. I did last night. Width shouldn’t be a problem at a Supercharger.

The smallest 20 foot attached garage I have seen is squeezed on a 20 foot pad. So drywall to inside of the garage door is 233 inches. That might be cutting it too close.

NigelM

Recovering Member
Apr 3, 2011
Northern Virginia
At 20' long this thing will not fit inside the current supercharger 16'-18' spaces. It's made worse by the ground bumpers that are in place at many superchargers to stop folks backing into the pedestals. Just based on eyeballing this monster, it's hard to see how the current supercharger cables will actually reach the chargeport.

qdeathstar

Completely Serious
May 17, 2019
VB
Nice that Cybertrucks don’t have to worry about door dings from tight fitting parking spots. Those windows though, for the time being, look like they still have to be worried about projectiles.

If you live in a place where steel balls routinely get chucked at your windows, perhaps move? :D

I think it’s a great point about how the trucks will fit. Maybe you’ll get a supercharger extension dingle.

P3dStealth

Nov 12, 2019
USA
I park on the side streets in nyc every week with my model S. 95% of the time I need to parallel park with less than 6-12” on each side. So 3’ bigger would make this completely impossible to do as none of the available open spots to park have enough room.

I am really hoping we don't see a lot of these in NYC. It will be a mess.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC