Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck and superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you have to unload? The charge port is on the side behind the rear wheel, just like the other Teslas. Are you thinking of the 240V receptacle for charging the ATV? That's not the charge port.
The plywood would hang out the back 18” which in my 3 would put me too far from the cable as they are short. It would be nice to have an extension cable. Yes it would be heavy and thick or put a charging port in the front like a Leaf.

The plywood would hang out the back 18” which in my 3 would put me too far from the cable as they are short. It would be nice to have an extension cable. Yes it would be heavy and thick or put a charging port in the front like a Leaf.
Okay, I'm not tracking here. Sorry about that. If the tailgate is down, depending upon the SC, you either back up until the charge port is by the SC or you pull forward until the charge port is by the SC. I don't see what the gate up or down has to do with it.

Okay, I'm not tracking here. Sorry about that. If the tailgate is down, depending upon the SC, you either back up until the charge port is by the SC or you pull forward until the charge port is by the SC. I don't see what the gate up or down has to do with it.
The VAST number of SuperChargers are designed for one to back in. And you have to back up close to the pedestal for the cable to reach. If you try to side charge you block a minimum of 3 stalls which is not nice.

Reactions: Pinot.Noir
Charging the Cybertruck at existing SCs will be especially problematic with the tailgate down or when towing as others have said. It’s not an inconsequential problem. The existing SC cords are not long enough as is, especially during winter, with bicycles on the back, or with poorly placed wheel stops (as we’ve seen at many SCs). The idiotic sign placement in between the pedestals further blocks backing access for bicycles or when the tailgate is down. If the pedestals were rotated 90 degrees or weren’t so wide, and the signage was removed, then it might work. Finally, since the truck is 3 ft longer, charging will likely be impossible at the front pull in stall.

As I’ve said before, I’m fully convinced that Tesla screwed up big time on the charging port placement. They didn’t plan for a future with autonomous vehicles and dual wheel drive. If they had thought it through, the charging port would be in the front, right under the logo, ready for automatic connection with autonomous vehicles or via “charging summons”. As is, J1772 charging when diagonal parking is a huge PITA. The Cybertruck is just another example.

Charging the Cybertruck at existing SCs will be especially problematic with the tailgate down or when towing as others have said. It’s not an inconsequential problem. The existing SC cords are not long enough as is, especially during winter, with bicycles on the back, or with poorly placed wheel stops (as we’ve seen at many SCs). The idiotic sign placement in between the pedestals further blocks backing access for bicycles or when the tailgate is down. If the pedestals were rotated 90 degrees or weren’t so wide, and the signage was removed, then it might work. Finally, since the truck is 3 ft longer, charging will likely be impossible at the front pull in stall.

As I’ve said before, I’m fully convinced that Tesla screwed up big time on the charging port placement. They didn’t plan for a future with autonomous vehicles and dual wheel drive. If they had thought it through, the charging port would be in the front, right under the logo, ready for automatic connection with autonomous vehicles or via “charging summons”. As is, J1772 charging when diagonal parking is a huge PITA. The Cybertruck is just another example.
Okay, I see what you're saying. If there is less than 18" between the stop and the sign, it's an issue. Point taken. Thanks.

3' SC extension: $55
6' SC extension: $90
9' SC extension: $120

There. Problem solved.

Beyond the fact that Tesla will probably never sell a SC extension cord, your prices are way too low. Just a 6" adapter to go from CCS2 to the EU Supercharger connector is like $200. Then you have the problem of trying to cool the extension cable and connectors. (An aftermarket EU Supercharger to US Supercharger adapter costs $800-1,200.)

For example an 25' 80A J1772 extension cable costs $399. To make it 25' longer costs another $200. So for a SC cable that can handle 700+ amps you would likely be looking at $600-$2,000 depending on length.

Guess the point is that if the Tesla Truck is having trouble plugging in, Tesla will obviously provide a solution.

Fat people have a hard time fastening seat belts. You can buy aftermarket and factory extensions from multiple sources.

If current supercharger cables will not fit, with the truck tires on the stoppers, I imagine that Tesla will move the location.

Guess the point is that if the Tesla Truck is having trouble plugging in, Tesla will obviously provide a solution.

Definitely. We shouldn't forget this. It's Tesla's problem to solve. They're not going to sell a vehicle which can't use superchargers. They might have different options for both the truck alone, and the truck with a trailer - but they'll have solutions.

Thought: It would be cool if activating tow mode in the vehicle will ensure you are routed only to tow-appropriate charging locations.

Reactions: fcharland
Maybe over time Tesla will make superchargers like the are in Norway where people use trailers a lot. Note the "Buss" lane for long loads and direction arrows.
supercharger-buss.jpg

Fat people have a hard time fastening seat belts. You can buy aftermarket and factory extensions from multiple sources.

If current supercharger cables will not fit, with the truck tires on the stoppers, I imagine that Tesla will move the location.
Exactly - all this musing over how the car will charge, as if somehow the Tesla engineering team suddenly had simultaneous strokes and didn't consider this... It's a lot of fervent typing to guess at a solution that's likely been filed in Elon's 'resolved' bin since ~25 minutes after the initial size of this beast was pitched.

Agreed. Not my problem. They will fix it. I’m just worried how long or if they need to retrofit 15,000 Pedestals. They’re having a hard enough time with repairs as is.

Agreed. Not my problem. They will fix it. I’m just worried how long or if they need to retrofit 15,000 Pedestals. They’re having a hard enough time with repairs as is.
Agreed, no question the CT will be able to use the Supercharger network. I am more concerned with towing. It's an issue now with the MX, so it will be interesting if they try and tackle this problem.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf

Body shaming to prove a point. Nicely done!

Well, on the bright side, and also for @Glamisduner, they only need to retrofit the ones that you need in order to get to your destinations, not 15,000 :)

But yeah, if you do a lot of long distance towing, you should stick w/ an ICE for now.

Of course as I type "for now", we are all forgetting that the CT is 3+ years out. I'll be sticking w/ my diesel Jeep for a while too. Yeah, yeah, Order page says late 2021. If you believe that then you are new here....

So who is more than 500 miles away from a Lowes? Yes, yes, you could have a bed camper and still have the same problem but your statement about plywood requiring the gate to be down at an SC just caused me to chuckle.