Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck and superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, it seems like a lot of folks would be very happy if the final CT version will be 5-10 inches shorter. It would fit in our standard garage, where we can charge it overnight. The same way we do it for our model S, X or 3.

it’s a pickup. The same size as a F-150. If you don’t want a vehicle that big, then don’t buy it. But it’s sized appropriately for what they’re trying to do.

Well. To me, it is the electric vehicle at first, then it can be a pickup or SUV or whatever you wish it to be. The safe and convenient way to charge this thing overnight cannot be underestimated. TheTesla and other electric vehicle owners are very aware of that.

Reactions: QUBO
How do you charge while pulling a 30' camper?
You unhitch. I tow a 17 footer and I almost always have to unhitch at Superchargers.

There are some pull-through spots... I would expect those to become more common.
But they are uncommon, and the Cybertruck is so long that even with a small trailer you will stick out.

The dimensions of the cybertruck are the same as F150 which fits in the parking spot no issue, and as pointed out most charging stations have the one staggered charger if you are towing (Model X for example).
For the Supercharger locations which happen to have one stall where you could charge without unhitching, that stall may be in use when you get there. Happens to me all the time.

The bottom line is that when you are towing, most of the time you have to unhitch to charge at a Supercharger. It’s really not a big deal. Takes me less than 3 minutes.

But sometimes at a Supercharger with a lot of pull throughs, if it is not crowded I don’t have to unhitch, as shown in this photo, taken at the Manteca CA Supercharger. But now envision a Cybertruck which is 3 ft longer than an X and towing a 24 ft trailer; both the car and the trailer will stick out and block traffic. You will have to unhitch.

33630744-5CE3-4274-AFCB-9483082C07EF.jpeg

Reactions: dhrivnak
You unhitch. I tow a 17 footer and I almost always have to unhitch at Superchargers.

But they are uncommon, and the Cybertruck is so long that even with a small trailer you will stick out.

For the Supercharger locations which happen to have one stall where you could charge without unhitching, that stall may be in use when you get there. Happens to me all the time.

The bottom line is that when you are towing, most of the time you have to unhitch to charge at a Supercharger. It’s really not a big deal. Takes me less than 3 minutes.

But sometimes at a Supercharger with a lot of pull throughs, if it is not crowded I don’t have to unhitch, as shown in this photo, taken at the Manteca CA Supercharger. But now envision a Cybertruck which is 3 ft longer than an X and towing a 24 ft trailer; both the car and the trailer will stick out and block traffic. You will have to unhitch.

View attachment 487098
I tow a 28' toy hauler with a weight distribution hitch, so it takes longer than 3 minutes to unhitch, this is a deal breaker. Plus now you have to find a place to park the trailer legally to unhitch it too. This will be a huge problem for me. I love the truck, but I don't think it's going to be able to replace my old 3500 if you have to unhitch to charge.

Once CTs go into production (or before), I would think accommodation for them will be made in timely fashion. First superchargers were introduced only few places in 2012. Now they are spread all over (only after 7 years). No need to worry yet.

Once CTs go into production (or before), I would think accommodation for them will be made in timely fashion. First superchargers were introduced only few places in 2012. Now they are spread all over (only after 7 years). No need to worry yet.
My thought is that when SCs for the Semi start to be rolled out they will also have slots for Teslas with trailers.

Reactions: azjohn
The Ford F250 and F350 are the big double cab dual back wheel monsters you see towing large trailers.
The CYBRTRK is about the same size. That is too big for the average truck buyer that does not haul horses, cattle or construction equipment. I wish it was a little smaller. It probably is great for military, Police or construction users but for average city drivers it is too hard to maneuver and park on a daily basis. It will sell well to military users around the world.

As far as parking spaces goes. One reason, among many reasons, I like COSTCO is that they have wider than average parking spaces.
You can park next to someone and have plenty of room to open your door. I wish all parking spaces were wider. Door dings are annoying especially when making the space a little wider would eliminate 80% of them. Looks like Tesla will need to increase spacing of its Super Chargers and the parking spots to fit the CYBRTRK.

Reactions: QUBO
The Ford F250 and F350 are the big double cab dual back wheel monsters you see towing large trailers.
The CYBRTRK is about the same size. That is too big for the average truck buyer that does not haul horses, cattle or construction equipment. I wish it was a little smaller. It probably is great for military, Police or construction users but for average city drivers it is too hard to maneuver and park on a daily basis. It will sell well to military users around the world.

As far as parking spaces goes. One reason, among many reasons, I like COSTCO is that they have wider than average parking spaces.
You can park next to someone and have plenty of room to open your door. I wish all parking spaces were wider. Door dings are annoying especially when making the space a little wider would eliminate 80% of them. Looks like Tesla will need to increase spacing of its Super Chargers and the parking spots to fit the CYBRTRK.
But the Cybertruck is the same size as the F150.

If the Cybertruck is 3 feet longer than a Model S, the charge cable may not reach for drive in (as opposed to reverse in) spots up against a wall like Rocklin. With the front tires in the same place the rear of the truck will be too far out, never mind a trailer or anything. As others have mentioned, there is time to address this though.

If the Cybertruck is 3 feet longer than a Model S, the charge cable may not reach for drive in (as opposed to reverse in) spots up against a wall like Rocklin. With the front tires in the same place the rear of the truck will be too far out, never mind a trailer or anything. As others have mentioned, there is time to address this though.
It will if the charging port is moved back towards the rear bumper.

Or they put dual charge ports, in the nose and the rear. There are many stations that stall #1 is staggered where the curb runs longer (like an L), you could "front" into those. Heck if battery packs are double size, you might want to jack into two superchargers at the same time :)

Apparently someone talked to Franz about it at the unveiling and he said it would add to much complexity and weight so a second charge port wasn't an option.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I'm curious, does anyone know which CT models will support the M3/MY charging speeds? If the short and MR CT are the old 18650 architecture, I would assume they're not going to get the fast charge times we're seeing in the M3. I would assume the LR/Perf CT would definitely support it, but what about the other two models? Anyone know?