Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck and superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simone Giertz on Twitter Video of Truckla passing Cybertruck

CF8756-AE-9716-4-B48-8-AEF-66-D8-BE710-A41.jpg

I thought the truck is 231.7 inches. If a 20 ft garage is 240 inches, that leaves 8 inches, close but doable.

I have a 2019 Silverado, which I believe is also 231.7 in length. I have a 20' garage. I always do a double check before closing the door, but with 1" to spare between front license plate and garage framing, there is usually 2" to spare between garage door and hitch cover. Given the Cybertruck is narrower, it would actually (maybe?) be easier to park inside that my current vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
As mentioned earlier in this thread, there was a Motortrend (I think) article where they mentioned that Tesla said that they had plans to build more superchargers in drive-through style to allow for this. This does sound difficult in that they'd pretty much have to duplicate the existing supercharger network with new sites (and sites which take more physical space as well).

The fact that many of the trucks will have a 350-500 mile range, which on the face of it, will help with this duplication - however when towing, this will probably bring the gaps between sites back down to the usual spacing.

However I agree that it 100% should be possible for a non-towing Cybertruck to be able to be charged at a normal site, in a normal back-in supercharger stall.

Moderator note: This post was merged from another thread.

I don’t mean this from a technological standpoint, I mean this from a pure dimensional standpoint.

When I pull up to a supercharger in my Model 3, I have to get pretty close to the station so that the cord reaches the charge port. On the Cybertruck, the charge port is considerably further away from the back because of the bed.

Here is a photo for example to show you how far the charge port would be to the charging station. I’m sure this is a dumb observation but I honestly feel like it would be pretty tough for the cable to reach. Thoughts?

F35CBB5B-2C2E-4AC9-95BE-36EA9ADA5ED9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I park on the side streets in nyc every week with my model S. 95% of the time I need to parallel park with less than 6-12” on each side.
So 3’ bigger would make this completely impossible to do as none of the available open spots to park have enough room.
I noticed in Manathan that almost every car has big additional massive chrome bumpers
on the front and rear. So those make the car even longer.

Do you live in Manathan? If so, do you charge at Superchargers or L2 chargers in parking garages?
I mostly saw luxury Hybrids but no Tesla.

22-1513921958-car-bumper-crash-guard-ban-fine-amount-traffic-police-including-bull-bars-suvs7.jpg

Last edited:
Disconnect.
What a Hassel. Requires heavy blocks of wood, a pipe to release the weight distribution hitch and sway bars, removing chains etc. When we pulled the camper from San Diego to Yellowstone it was hard enough to find a pull through gas station, let alone find a place to disconnect the camper.

Also the high sides probably mean you won't be able to connect a small 5th wheel.

I still really want the truck, but I think I'll lend up with two trucks if I get the cyber truck. This is not ideal for me.

How do you charge while pulling a 30' camper?
This is the real question, I think, for anyone who wants a cybertruck for the purpose of towing. While it may have a ridiculous tow capacity of up to 14,000 lbs, at what range? And I have yet to see a SC with a pull-thru ability for towing.

While I trust Tesla will think this through over the next couple of years, I'd like to see some forward thinking on this. Pickups dominate the tow market, and it's easy enough to pull through a gas station. If you want to disrupt the pickup market, you're going to have to address this issue with range and SC compatibility.