Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck and superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed in Manathan that almost every car has big additional massive chrome bumpers
on the front and rear. So those make the car even longer.

Do you live in Manathan? If so, do you charge at Superchargers or L2 chargers in parking garages?
I mostly saw luxury Hybrids but no Tesla.

22-1513921958-car-bumper-crash-guard-ban-fine-amount-traffic-police-including-bull-bars-suvs7.jpg

yes, I'm in upper east side and I've NEVER seen that bumper on any vehicle parked on the side streets there, probably because that additional space makes parking even harder. but many many many vehicles use the 'bumper protector':

bumper-protector-ce7ebd.jpg

also I don't use the superchargers in NYC because they are all valet and they'll forget to unplug you and can cost you thousands of $$$ in tesla fees. (yes some people got $1-2k+ bills from Tesla).

That’s what we do with the X. Some SC are drive through, but not many.
Let me know when I'll be able to pull something like this or larger, and charge up easily on the way. Note, we don't have a dually, but the next truck was probably going to be a dually so we could safely haul a 5th wheel.

I think the cyber truck would be able to haul this (even though it probably doesn't have straight axles etc), but disconnecting that mess every few hours to charge?

I think it will be a great truck, I really want one, but I think I would still need my existing truck, and it just won't make sense to have two. I have a deposit for the cybertruck, but I don't know if I will actually purchase it due to design limitations, like having the tall bedside.

Parking is never easier in a truck, and sometimes you might not fit into parking garages as it is with current trucks.

Attachments

• 2015-09-15_01-15-32.jpg
    2015-09-15_01-15-32.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 67
All valid points, but it will be many years before Tesla retrofits SCs to allow pull through. It's a ton of work, new permits, renegotiating leases as they will need much more of the parking lot, costs, etc. All for a very small number of people (very few people tow large trailers). Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but it will be a challenge to drag a 30' trailer long distances for the foreseeable future. We plan to tow our 24' wake boat (idk the length on trailer) but the furthest we plan to go is 220 miles and will have charging at the other end.

All valid points, but it will be many years before Tesla retrofits SCs to allow pull through. It's a ton of work, new permits, renegotiating leases as they will need much more of the parking lot, costs, etc. All for a very small number of people (very few people tow large trailers). Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but it will be a challenge to drag a 30' trailer long distances for the foreseeable future. We plan to tow our 24' wake boat (idk the length on trailer) but the furthest we plan to go is 220 miles and will have charging at the other end.
Lots of people here pull large trailers, there will be something like 200,000 people headed to the dunes next week, most of which have large trailers.

Reactions: Karma
Lots of people here pull large trailers, there will be something like 200,000 people headed to the dunes next week, most of which have large trailers.
I'm just trying to insert a little reality into this conversation. Tesla just flat out does not have the resources (people or $$) to retrofit all their SCs for many years. What is Rivian or Ford's solution for fast charging with a 30' camper? Oh right they don't have any fast chargers at all.

I live in pickup country and most people here use their trucks as daily driver family haulers. Contractors pull trailers but they are local and won't need SCs. My point is that the non-towing pickup market is larger than what Tesla can build so spending millions of dollars to retrofit SCs for a handful of customers does not make sense.

I recently had a nice but short trip from OR to CA and had a chance to enjoy some superchargers. I felt like the standard spots were a little tight. I mean, lets just say we all kinda know a "good" parking spot vs a "really small" one, and the supercharger parking spots are pretty much average/good for people who park well.

Having said that - and my point for this thread - I don't feel that the current supercharger network has the width in its parking spots to handle the Cybertruck, or worse -- it will now be agonizingly tight to park next to one, or feel like you're scraping your neighbor's paint as you back up.

Thoughts?
hopefully they can make some sort of extension cord. sounds like the cheapest most realistic option

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I'm just trying to insert a little reality into this conversation. Tesla just flat out does not have the resources (people or $$) to retrofit all their SCs for many years. What is Rivian or Ford's solution for fast charging with a 30' camper? Oh right they don't have any fast chargers at all.

I live in pickup country and most people here use their trucks as daily driver family haulers. Contractors pull trailers but they are local and won't need SCs. My point is that the non-towing pickup market is larger than what Tesla can build so spending millions of dollars to retrofit SCs for a handful of customers does not make sense.
Sounds like I need to keep my old diesel and model 3 then. Cyber-truck is probably a no go.

Why is lining up vehicles by nose have anything to do with SC? The plug is the back. I assume the production truck will have the charge port about the same distance from the tail as current cars.

On the prototype and photos the charge port is by the wheel arch (you can see it, no need to assume), on current cars it's part of the taillight housing so much closer to the back of the car. Nothing serious to stop Tesla moving the charge port of course.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
hopefully they can make some sort of extension cord. sounds like the cheapest most realistic option

Think about how heavy that supercharger cable is and then multiply it buy xx ft. Never mind resistance calculations, dangers of an extension plug laying on the ground with 400v running through it, difficulty of transmitting pilot signal to start/stop charging etc etc.

• Informative
Reactions: BZM3
What happens if the tailgate is down, for carrying 8ft plywood or 2x4s or carrying a custom bed camper? Will the cable be long enough? There may not be an option to simply unload what you are carrying and then back in to charge. Maybe the charge point will be better off in the front?

An extension cord will be very problematic and probably a huge liability issue..

The CT is only an inch wider than X, so it's not really a problem.

Towing, most of the time, one will have to unhitch. Not the answer folks want, but simple

I like the idea of a second charging port, in the front. Recharging a 200 kwh battery with only a single 14-50 (at 32A) will take longer than overnight. In a not-full campground, one could use two 14-50 simultaneously. Remember the older S & X had two 40 amp chargers.

BTW, a 14-50 extension cord is a commercial product, unlike the suggested 400 DC V Supercharger "extension", which doesn't exist.

What happens if the tailgate is down, for carrying 8ft plywood or 2x4s or carrying a custom bed camper? Will the cable be long enough? There may not be an option to simply unload what you are carrying and then back in to charge. Maybe the charge point will be better off in the front?
Why would you have to unload? The charge port is on the side behind the rear wheel, just like the other Teslas. Are you thinking of the 240V receptacle for charging the ATV? That's not the charge port.