Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck and the Baja 1000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
I'm very interested in this topic and hoping all discussion can be contained here.

Couple of things:

I'd be interested in donating to a team to helping build a team. I'm a Tech Product manager and former Tesla employee.

To do the race it would seems that a few superchargers would be needed as well as power packs. The usual suspension upgrades and spare parts on at least two support trucks. 3 drivers for a A, B and C team. While I doubt Tesla would officially support an independent team, I'd hope to get some help. I know of a few possible drivers and many vehicle engineers could be contacted for assistance.

That's my father in law.
You should educate him about the flaws of hydrogen ;)
I'd be interested in donating to a team to helping build a team. I'm a Tech Product manager and former Tesla employee.
I don't think it's possible for the Cyber to compete if that guy can actually build a 1000 mile vehicle. Even if the hydrogen vehicle needs one fill up the Cyber would need many, each taking 15-20 minutes at least.

I don't know if he intends it to be a fuel cell vehicle or a conventional ICE burning hydrogen. I suspect the latter.

The article had this quote

"Glickenhaus is a supporter of hydrogen-powered cars. Car and Driver reported that the company believes "hydrogen fuel cells are superior to battery-electric vehicles ... that today's battery technology has limitations: they're heavy, prone to loss of range in cold weather, and there's the recharge time."

But, when I clicked on the C&D link, I could not find that quote. I think you're probably right. It's probably a hydrogen powered ICE. But even that would be somewhat technically challenging, building a tank and fuel delivery system to hold that hydrogen. But far easier than a fuel cell, that's for sure. So I think you're correct. Hydrogen powered ICE.

EDIT: I did just find this quote in the C&D article though.

""I have no idea whether Musk will accept our challenge. My guess is he will not, because he knows, despite his public railing against fuel cells, that hydrogen is better suited than current batteries for the most extreme environments," Glickenhaus said."

The competition would be fair, IMO, to race batteries against hydrogen as opposed to hydrogen and gas. It makes no sense if gas is involved.

In fact, the powerpacks would be charged by solar. The hydrogen should also be sourced sustainably.

Even further, no petroleum should be allowed for any reason.

Reactions: phantasms
Here's the thing. I'm 100% certain that the Cybertruck would win against a fool cell vehicle in a 2023 race. Why am I so sure??? Because a competitive fool cell powered Baja truck won't exist in 2023.
Agreed, unless there is trickery involved, like the hydrogen truck being a non production intent drivetrain. Should compete apples to apples.

Last edited:
The article had this quote

"Glickenhaus is a supporter of hydrogen-powered cars. Car and Driver reported that the company believes "hydrogen fuel cells are superior to battery-electric vehicles ... that today's battery technology has limitations: they're heavy, prone to loss of range in cold weather, and there's the recharge time."

But, when I clicked on the C&D link, I could not find that quote. I think you're probably right. It's probably a hydrogen powered ICE. But even that would be somewhat technically challenging, building a tank and fuel delivery system to hold that hydrogen. But far easier than a fuel cell, that's for sure. So I think you're correct. Hydrogen powered ICE.

EDIT: I did just find this quote in the C&D article though.

""I have no idea whether Musk will accept our challenge. My guess is he will not, because he knows, despite his public railing against fuel cells, that hydrogen is better suited than current batteries for the most extreme environments," Glickenhaus said."

Horrible things hydrogen ICEs: hydrogen embrittlement of steels, oil dilution due to hydrogen leaking past the rings and still plenty of NoX produced so a catalytic converter is still needed thus allowing VW-esque gaming of relevant emissions regs.

I want to add so it doesn't seem like I'm talking crap here. I love and respect Jim a ton. I was friends with him for years before marrying his daughter. He's done a lot of awfully impressive things, he's a great thinker and kind person, he's done a ton for me including paying my Columbia tuition, and he's an awesome grandpa. I just happen to think he's wrong on this particular subject. I actually see a lot of similarities between Jim and Elon and hopefully I can eventually bring him around and open his eyes on this subject.

That would be the intent. To my understanding this wouldn't be a production vehicle. It would be a one or two off to "prove" how good hydrogen is. So yeah, racing a one off versus what will be one of the best selling production vehicles of all time isn't exactly fair.

I'll just leave this here......

prototype.JPG

Agreed, unless there is trickery involved, like the hydrogen truck being a non production intent drivetrain. Should compete apples to apples.
It seems as if he builds one off custom vehicles. As such he can basically build a vehicle full of hydrogen tanks, and if he can complete the race without refueling, or with only one refueling, he would win, unless he breaks down and the Cybertruck doesn't.

It seems as if he builds one off custom vehicles. As such he can basically build a vehicle full of hydrogen tanks, and if he can complete the race without refueling, or with only one refueling, he would win, unless he breaks down and the Cybertruck doesn't.
Fully disagree, watch a Baja race on youtube or just lookup results and let us know your thoughts.

Fully disagree, watch a Baja race on youtube or just lookup results and let us know your thoughts.

I've been to the Baja 1000. I'd be interested in hearing more about how you think it would be more competitive. The Boot idea is that they would just swap the storage tank which should take a few minutes. I'd have to imagine charging will take much longer. And, also, don't you think the lack of suspension travel on the Cybertruck would be a massive disadvantage?

p.s. As a former Tesla employee can you tell me. Is it possible to charge while driving? Let's just say, hypothetically, that I was driving across the country quickly and removed the charge port cover. What would happen if a Cybertruck pulled up next to a moving vehicle and [somehow] plugged in. Would it charge? Would the driving car suddenly be put into park? Any thoughts on this?

As a former Tesla employee can you tell me. Is it possible to charge while driving? Let's just say, hypothetically, that I was driving across the country quickly and removed the charge port cover. What would happen if a Cybertruck pulled up next to a moving vehicle and [somehow] plugged in. Would it charge? Would the driving car suddenly be put into park? Any thoughts on this?
It is possible, people have built battery trailers which double their capacity. That might be a viable solution if it's allowed.

• Informative
It is possible, people have built battery trailers which double their capacity. That might be a viable solution if it's allowed.

Very interesting.

Ok. Truth is the EV cross country record is very beatable, especially using a vehicle with the new advanced cells. I'm a dad and not a crazy kid anymore. I'm not looking to go 150+ but I think I could reasonably beat the record in a Roadster or Plaid S. It's currently held by a Model 3. Maybe time to start another thread. lol